rear bumper project - mounting suggestions

stewwalker

Observer
I am building a rear bumper/ swing out tire carrier for my 1995 suburban. It is mainly 3x6 rectangular tubing tucked as close to the truck as I can get it(low profile is the idea). I am having trouble coming up with mounting solutions. My truck does have a body lift on it and the guys that put the lift on welded the stock bumper straight to the frame rails. Is that good enough for the new bumper or should I use bolts?

KMV77

I take it your adding the new carrier to the stock bumper. Im sure the welds would work (assuming they are good welds). If your worried, throw 2 grade 8bolts in each side of the bumper mounts at the frame.
Kevin

TKSC01

Adventurer
Personally, IMHO....I would not add a swingout carrier to a stock bumper. Saws, grinders torches all remove bad ideas. Welds are fine, however welds, even good ones have the same enemy....vibration. I would design what you want on paper, measure, cut it out in paper and build it the way you want. The worst part of fabrication is feeling like you could have done it better when it fails on the trail. Bolts also allow for removal to modify. Just my 2 cents man.

chasespeed

Explorer
Cut off the old bumper. Find some box, or channel iron that will fit snug in the frame rail. Weld that to the new bumper. Then, bolt those new mounts to the frame with some goog quality hatdware.

Chase

Sent from my HTC Incredible

stewwalker

Observer
I am building a bumper too (thats the 3x6), and the tire carrier is 2x2 square tubing. Sorry, I guess I should of said that the stock bumper is coming off. It's a 3 inch body lift.

TKSC01

Adventurer
I am building a bumper too (thats the 3x6), and the tire carrier is 2x2 square tubing. Sorry, I guess I should of said that the stock bumper is coming off. It's a 3 inch body lift.

All good man, I cant tell you how many times I have posted and realized I left stuff out. It happens, I guess my point was make it right the first time and easily modifiable because it will change as you go. I just added the rear bumper to my Bronco. Check my build if you like "My ford Bronco Build" I was wondering about a spare as well and am leaning towards the kind the rock crawlers use that swings down to the ground instead of swing out like a traditional swing. I am running a 37" H1 12bolt andf they are heavy. I figured I could roll the tire and lift the swing into place instead of trying to manhandle just the tire. again just my 2 cents.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Bumper

Consider, bumper as an air tank too. I have a square tube 4"x4" bumper at rear of my ole school step-side it seconds as an air tank w/fill valve, drain valve, and air hose adapter. Any tire or fuel can holder can be fabricated to fit such a bumper.

stewwalker

Observer
I was thinking about making it an air tank too. How much psi do you run. I figured anything over 120 psi would bust my welds on the end caps. (I used a harbor freight 100 dollar welder for that part)

Is it illegal to weld a bumper to a frame?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier