Some basic maintenance questions

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I'm not really looking for a wheeler, mainly just something to pull our camper. I've been driving a lightly modified XJ for about 10 years and have never wished I had more power or bigger tires or anything like that. Most places around here if you have 4 low and some decent tires you can get through most anything. Plus it has to be a good family vehicle some we're having a baby in about a month.

We were thinking about maybe getting a mid to late 70s truck to restore that would fit the vintage of our Airstream but now we're thinking we'd rather have something a little more modern and ready to go without having to spend too much time restoring stuff. I'm thinking with a Tundra I'd want the tow package obviously, but I'll also get some good load rated tires and air bag helpers and it should do alright.

wjeeper

Sounds like its just a beater truck that your pounding out the miles for another few months to a year while the jeeps down just do the ATF trick and maybe change the oil a bit more frequently. Sounds like the engine is getting a bit old and showing its age. Seems its not really worth investing the time/ energy in popping off the valve covers or pan.

I rocked an old ford truck with many of the same issues you mentioned that got me through a chunk of college. Just keep her flushed with fresh oil and if the plugs are getting oil fouled try some "oil burner" spark plug adaptors. (and maybe keep your eves out for a good donar motor at the local pick-n-pull if you really feel it warrants the effort) With my old truck it wasn't worth the effort doing much more than that....it was a beater, ugly as ****, beat up, but it got the job done and its still moving under its own power today

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles