Cedar Mesa, Utah Easter 2011

Moody

Needs to get out more
The desert for me is like a fantastic book that I just can't put down. You want to read more and more, but you are cautious; you don't want to risk completing the book too soon. You need to enjoy every letter, every word, every page before you get to the end, savoring your moments together.

The desert isn't likely to end anytime soon, but like any exceptional book, I find my self wanting one more minute, one more day, one more trip to the pages of Southern Utah.

The blanket of winter had been peeled back, and we had excellent spring conditions. We had many old and new friends along, and we even met up with some friends on a journey of their own.

We had originally planned on having some dear friends from SLC along, just as we did last year for Easter weekend. Sadly, Matt's mother died of cancer just a few weeks ago, and they chose to stay closer to home and begin the healing process.

Like a couple of kids off to prom, we packed up the truck and ventured through Moab from SLC to Cedar Mesa. It was evident that the Jeep Safari was taking place, as many trucks pulling trailers with heavily modified Toyotas, Jeeps, Internationals, and every other conglomerate of four wheel drive crowding the highways. After a quick gas stop at the City Market, we were off to Cedar Mesa, and ultimately our camping area off of Comb Wash.

Comb Ridge:

dsc0417q.jpg

Spring was here:
dsc0561o.jpg

Moody

Needs to get out more
With Zander and Olivia in tow, we wanted to slow the pace, and enjoy ourselves. Too often it takes us looking through the eyes of our children to look at what is most important: playing with toys and playing in the dirt. Even more too often we are so focused on the immaterial things in life that we forget to really enjoy what is happening around us. The desert is a great place to remind us.

dsc0287z.jpg

dsc0193y.jpg

After setting up camp, we made a traditional camper's dinner: hotdogs, cooked over the fire of course...

Our dinner table:

dsc0425z.jpg

Last edited:

Moody

Needs to get out more
Our first adventure took us on the opposite side of Comb Ridge where we set out to find Monarch Cave. Along the way we stopped, thinking we had spotted a granary just off the road. Turned out to not be a granary, but Zander did find a couple of pieces of broken pottery (left for posterity, of course).

dsc0427yp.jpg

Olivia stretching her legs:

dsc0431sl.jpg

mkitchen

Explorer
Nice

I enjoy your writing style and even more so; your philosophy when travelling. Too often we teach our kids how not to do things. Stop and enjoy, nothing is better.
Mikey

Moody

Needs to get out more
Once we were back in the saddle again, we checked our maps and found we were getting close. We found the staging area and readied ourselves for the little hike up canyon to Monarch Cave.
dsc0432r.jpg

At this point, Olivia found the hardside of a rock against the side of her head. Of course mommy's love was all that could fix the pain, so mom decided to hang back and not finish the last little hike up. (Later I found out that she fell into a cactus :( Not good.)

Monarch Cave:

dsc0436s.jpg

dsc0437m.jpg

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
Many nicely composed photos you have there!
What camera do you shoot with?

I wish I could have made this trip with you all but it wasn't in the cards...

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Good meeting you and your family out there Roger. Along with all others who joined us along the way, the Nates, Joseph (Utah KJ) and Dan/David (sorry, don't remember).

I'm still sorting though my photo's.

mph

Expedition Leader
Good stuff...Great writeup. Looks like you guys had a blast. We recently spent some time on the Mesa. We will have to compare notes. Good stuff...

targa88

Explorer
Roger,
Brilliant stuff. Wish I could have made the trip.
Absolutely agree with your philosophy.
Great pix. (see the Scepters were being used!)

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Love the pics and the approach to the trip with the kids. Sounds like what we aspire to when we travel as a family. All too often we get caught up in the artificial urgency of the moment, especially when part of a larger group.

And judging by the pics, we have the same Springbar.
:wings:

Moody

Needs to get out more
Once up near Monarch Cave, I worked my way slowly through the canyon to experience everything as best I could. I find myself in awe at the remnants of this civilization still here after so many seasons in the harsh desert.

At the trailhead we shared a brief, "hello" with three gentlemen traveling together. Up in the cave, we struck up a conversation about the area, Grand Gulch, and the ways of the people living here so long ago. As it turns out, the group of three were a father, Brian O'____?_ and his two sons, who were both very much adults. They had started at a young age tagging along with dad to these locations and are now in their 40's. I can only hope Zander and Olivia are still tooling around the desert with me when I am in my 60's.

I felt very proud when I came across my son speaking with a woman from Berlin, sharing tidbits of information about the ruins, methods of working the maize, the potential significance of the handprints, etc. He shares the same connection to the area as I do.

More from Monarch:
dsc0446co.jpg

DSC_0443.jpg

dsc0456om.jpg

dsc0463yj.jpg

dsc0454.jpg

dsc0464x.jpg

Moody

Needs to get out more
dsc0497x.jpg

Snake on the wall above the ruins.

After working our way back to the vehicles, we were guided by Teaaron to the Snake House Ruins, a.k.a. the River House Ruins. Several large groups of river runners with children in tow descended upon the ruins as we were there. Once it was apparent they would be there for a few minutes, I continued along the rock ledge to the left of the ruins to give the other people some time by themselves. I was sure glad I did as there were smaller ruins and some rock art, and random pieces of broken pottery on the ground.

Waiting for the large group to leave...
dsc0503k.jpg

Snake House:
dsc0535q.jpg

dsc0541m.jpg

dsc0533yt.jpg

Willman

Great trip guys! Sorry i missed this one!

Snake house looks killer! Location?

Going to have to check that one out.....

Moody...Did Moody Senior come? Your father is a great guy!! I sure enjoy his stories of that area. Let me know on your mud-flap repair job.....welder is standing by....

:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94