Knife thread

Woodsman

Adventurer
Formation of bronze details, and installation tiles by bone.:)

View attachment 123043 View attachment 123044

Ah, don't you just love working with bone ? I was a knife makers apprentice to a man who may be America's most prolific knife maker, having made over 75,000 knives during his career, and we did many knives with bone. I was always stuck with breaking them down on the bandsaw into handle slabs and the smell . . . UGH ! Exactly like going to the dentist for a deep drilling. I sometimes think I should get back into it.

jrose609

Explorer
Been following this thread since it starrted, and Peter has probably this one of my favorite Portal threads. Awesome work!

keezer37

Explorer
Peter,

I always come in to this thread to look at your beautiful work but do not think I have ever commented on it. Thank you very much for being part of this forum.

Dwight

phxtoad

Adventurer
Swiss Army knife comparison:

For twenty plus years I've carried a Victorinox Swiss Army knife daily. The Spartan model - with the cork screw. As a bartender I opened A LOT of wine bottles with it. I wore some out, and lost others over the years. I feel naked without one. Enter my daughter Riley Blue. She's two now and has a penchant for sometimes removing certain items of mine... for good. The first thing that I missed was my nice Surefire flashlight. Pretty sure that got thrown away. A couple months back she got to the Spartan. Not sure how. But it too went poof.

I decided to try something a bit different and ordered a Victorinox Nomad as the Spartan's replacement. It's essentially the same knife but with a locking blade (liner lock type). The first thing you'll notice is it's larger in all dimensions. It's about as big a pocket knife as you'd want to carry. Just a hair too big in my opinion though. Also missing are the toothpick and tweezers - but that's not a deal breaker.

So to give the other guys a try, I shopped the Wenger catalog for their take. The first thing I noticed was that they had a similar knife called the Ranger 61 - and it had a clip. That might be perfect! So I ordered one, ultimately direct from Switzerland since everyone has had them back-ordered. As you can see it's even larger in all dimensions than the Nomad. It's almost too big as a clip knife! It is THICK. The other downside is Wenger's can opener tool is pointed. I already miss the small screwdriver end of the Victorinox can opener as it will fit Phillips heads. However, the single-hand opening and button lock release are very nice.

I couldn't resist getting another Spartan in the end. Sometimes you've got to stick with what works the best for you. It seems almost teeny now...

IMG_4435.jpg

(L to R) Ranger, Nomad and Spartan

IMG_4434.jpg

(L to R) Ranger, Nomad and Spartan. The flip side.

IMG_4436.jpg

(Front to Back) Spartan, Nomad and Ranger. Note the lengths.

IMG_4439.jpg

(L to R) Spartan, Nomad and Ranger. Note the width of the Ranger and the thickness of the clip material.

Todd

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Funny that you post this because I've carried a Spartan religiously for some 18 years now since my wife gave it to me as a present.

I've recently either misplaced it or lost it, but I'm going crazy without it due to how much I've now realized I used it on a daily basis for normal tasks

I'm going to have to re-stock it in my pocket just because I dont think I can go without it!

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
I carried a SAK soldier for years and loaned it to somebody, never to see it again. I was in a gunshop about 6 months back, and he had a bucket of SAK's on his counter for $1. He gave me one. I carry it daily. It's a simple two blade knife, but it's a SAK.

On another note, after wanting a Blackjack #5 for several years, I bought this over the summer:
kgrhqvhjbcedi9m0mvbpwrs.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke