Knife thread

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Great thread and some truly amazing knives and blades in here. I have loved knives for a very long time, though not as much as some people do. lol I have a Swiss Army multi for the Jeep, nice to have all those options available when needed. I also picked up a Gerber Machete last year, great for well, lots of stuff. The saw blade is super useful.

I have been looking at getting a new multi purpose bush knife. I have not decided on fixed or folding, but I would like to get one that is a reasonably good quality piece this time. I don't hunt (yet), I camp etc...any suggestions <prepares for onslaught>?

My friend Lorien is a knife nut (connoisseur?), and designs and makes his own. I have thought about getting him to make me one, but think that they might be out of my price range ($100-200 ish, maybe more)? Maybe I will just ask him...and see what happens? In the meantime, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks all!
Greg

barlowrs

Explorer
A great all around bush knife, get a Mora. about 15-20 bucks. if you use it, lose it, etc, no big deal, but great blade with a great grind. I have a few "designer boutique" knives (200+), but the problem with those, is that you never want to take them out and risk losing them.

PETER PETRAKIEV

Adventurer
That mora is beautiful. I Love te grind on those blades, have many of them myself, though with a plain plasitc handle :( . Too bad you are so far away, i would apply for an apprenticeship! hahaha

Will do it remotely, :) and wait for results.
I also order or buy blades.
Here one low-cost option.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

barlowrs

Explorer
Any chance you can list the materials you use on the handles for each one? Or maybe PM me if you do not want it public? I have made a few knives back when I was younger, but always just used deer or elk horn to make hanldes. Your handles are turning out beautiful and I would love to try my hand at those.

PETER PETRAKIEV

Adventurer
Any chance you can list the materials you use on the handles for each one? Or maybe PM me if you do not want it public? I have made a few knives back when I was younger, but always just used deer or elk horn to make hanldes. Your handles are turning out beautiful and I would love to try my hand at those.

By timber prefer: Burl by alnus/alder, walnut root, ash, birch, root by olive.
Camel bone, buffalo horn, deer horn.

Another, walnut, antler, fiber, plates of brass.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg5.jpg

PETER PETRAKIEV

Adventurer
Most things are like something out of nothing.
Here is the start of scrap, blades found them in the recycling scheme.
Now have a new life.:)

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles