Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife thread

i carry a gerber hatchet and find this is my go to tool for most tasks. a sharp hatchet is great for just about any cutting task. my pocket knife is a Knives of Alaska fetherlight xtreme defender My pack knife is a 4 in blade stamped steel knife with a para cord wrapped handle.

i am very happy with the products from knives of alaska, and plan on purchasing from them in the future.
    2009 GMC 1500 ex cab All Terrain: lights, rack,
    1960s Mitchell slide in: solar,hydraulic lift
    toy: 72' wagoneer 6in lift, 33" MTR, transplant in progress: lsx and 6l80e

Here is a knife that I bought in 1986 and has been moved from truck to truck since. I have several knives but this always seems to be the one I grab. It's a little unique in that it's a Bali-song {now benchmade} back when they were made by Pacific cutlery corporation in North Hollywood. If I remember right it's a model 750, it's been well used and holds a great edge. I happened to have in the office to measure it for a new sheath.
    IMG_1203.jpgIMG_1201.jpg
    Last edited by Gone2Baja; 04-30-2012 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Correction

I have a small foldable Benchmade in each vehicle and another one for daily carry.
    A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.
    ETAV8R's Build-The Gini
    Operation-Oxcart-AKA-Gini-s-Burden-A-Four-Wheel-Camper-story

i carry a 2.75" blade Gerber Evo Jr. as a "pocket" knife because it weighs 1.8 oz

31jOjT3OIUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

however, i'm saving up for a Benchmade Pardue, which with a 3.25" blade (and overall higher quality), still comes in at only 1.88 oz

31JSWXZ1KWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sharp things!

This is one of my semi-new projects. I had an older Becker BK2 Campanion way back when. I ventured off into the land of custom knives for a bit but recently returned to my roots with a new model BK2 built by KaBar under the Becker name. It is still the same great knife....

Of course I had to customize it a bit I stripped the factory black coating off down to bare high carbon steel. Then I 'forced' a patina finish on it with some household condiments. This helps protect the bare steel from future corrosion by basically having an acid corrosion on the surface of the steel. I also keep the blade a little 'wet' in olive oil to keep any more rust or pitting at bay.

I added a pair of Micarta scales to it also. I like the feel of the raw machined canvas micarta vs the factory 'grivory' scales.

Lastly I tried to make a leather sheath for it. Tried. Its ok but could still use more work.

Dollar for Dollar, even with the mods, I would put this up against just about anything else. It retains a great edge. It's thick enough that its basically a sharpened prybar, but the grind bevel is GREAT for just about anything from kitchen work to chopping.

The best part is that I can replace it for less than $100 if I where to destroy or misplace it....or have a spare in a different bag.

I love knives and own several good quality such as Knives of Alaska, pre '84 Buck, RAT/ESEE and 1 Randall but my favorite "big" knife is a Bark River Bravo-1. They have a great warranty and free lifetime reconditioning.
    Some very good videos on Youtube showing this knife.
    Bravo1-Black_Canvas.jpg

My every day carry folder is a vintage Schrade lb 7, I know it isn't as sexy as a Benchmade or SOG but it holds a edge and is a very solid knife.
    IMG_3752.jpg
    --------------------------------
    Jess
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Here is the latest addition to my collection. Sorry for the stock pic but she is still in the mail.

JK 2dr rubi Garage
    2000 F350 CC LWB 7.3 4x4
    2003 F550 6.0 4x4
    2006 R1
    1999 35' 5th wheel RV

On New Years Eve this year, I lost my EDC Benchmade AFCK mini in the snow in a parking lot that was plowed early the next day. I bought that knife in high school about 15 years ago. I was a zombie for a few days after that... just wandering around aimlessly staring at the ground, hoping my favorite knife would be there! Since then, I carried my Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn mini for a few days, then bought a Leatherman Skeletool CX. I've been very happy with this tool. I have a number of Leatherman tools, but I don't like wearing a belt and carry case. I love that this multi-tool has a pocket clip, and I don't have to open the tool to get out the knife. Oh yeah, the built in bottle opener is a definite crowd pleaser!!!
    "Start strong, build light, and keep it simple."--Metcalf

2007.5 Dodge 2500- 6.7L- CC- SB- Deletes

I thought this might be a decent place to post this... Went to the Blade Show in Atlanta, GA this past weekend. Kinda sad that now most fixed blade knives with a decent quality are now $150 or more with many over $200. Sure you still got some of your brands like SOG, Kabar, Buck, Gerber that dance around the $100 and less mark but their quality seems to be lacking of late, at least from the reviews I have read. In my opinion, the best knife I have bought is a Mora 2. $15, plastic sheath, carbon steel, smaller handle but razor sharp, strong and easy to use. I still have yet to need to sharpen it after months of use.

My Daily Carry!!

Pat Bonish
    Every Miles A Memory
    Lowkey Hideaway - Come Visit

Exploring North America by Backroads and Trails When We're Not in Cedar Key

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast