rtt. roof or trailer question

TheBeatenPath

theres so little room inside a jeep especially a 2dr.
to me this is what it seems like pros and cons are.

on the jeep.
pros.
easy to move
will prolly use the rack for other stuff too
will get a lightbar out of it
ill get the height and secure feeling being above someone tha may look in.
cons.
even worse mpg.(i know we bought a jeep we know what it entails but when your paying for gas you know you dont want to intentioanlly kill it)
have to buy a rack.make taking the top off harder.

on a trailer
pro
more room cause ill have a trailer
leave it at camp
more comforts i.e. a fridge and a nicer kitchen
will get a welder
pack up and go if a hurricane is on the way or other disasters. bugging out
con
might not have the height that i want without jacking up the cog
will have to buy a welder
possibly more expensive than a rack.
easier to steal?

idk it seems to me there are more pros for having it on a trailer. than on my jeep.

ohh and i live in fl so our trails dont have ratings lol. its mostly mud,some hills, tight trails(pinstriping abundant) and more mud,water.

Paladin

Banned
Yeah, the CG thing is an issue putting the tent that high. It can be mitigated by not going too crazy with tire size and ground clearance on the trailer. My tall trailer has the same CG has an AT Horizon because the load floor and most of the weight is only 18" off the ground. The tent is higher, but it's balanced out by 19 gallons of water down very low. Just depends what you want to do with the trailer, obviously mine will never run the Rubicon.

Binder Lou

Observer
Over the last 33 years with our Scout we’ve gone through the same questions as posed here. It was always a compromise and it became an evolution. First was the Scout and two of us in a tent. The daughter came and I built a roof box for more gear. Then later I ditched the roof box and built a trailer to haul more gear and a bigger tent. After some years I put a rack on top of the trailer and put a RTT on top. With the trailer top clamped shut the gear (lots of it) comes out the stern. And I still read these threads to see what new direction I can take this. At this point my wife loves sleeping up off the ground in a room with a view.

Attachments

• trailer 3.jpg
    trailer 3.jpg
    684 KB · Views: 31

compactcamping

Explorer
As MicroOverlander noted, I think it really depends on the type of trip as to which is best. Don't think of it as either or, move it to the roof top or trailer depending on where your adventure is taking you.

i9ABBA2D8-02F3-4629-8BD7-6999B3CF7075.jpg
iD2BE4B51-D170-4A5F-9FDE-89C6FF618D7B.jpg

TheBeatenPath

As MicroOverlander noted, I think it really depends on the type of trip as to which is best. Don't think of it as either or, move it to the roof top or trailer depending on where your adventure is taking you.

yeah i think ive thought up a rack that would work and hopefully not kill the mpg with. so im prolly going to go that route but time will tell.

whats the average cost to build a trailer not including tires axles and paint?

compactcamping

Explorer
There are a number of variables on building one ... If you are looking for someone to weld up a 4'x6'-8' flatbed frame as a starting point, I'd say expect to pay $350-$650(without the items you noted). Then there is your suspension, "standard" trailer spring are ~ $18 ea, smooth riding Jeep springs are ~ $100. If you're not an experienced welder, I'd look for a local fabrication shop and get them to quote your project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke