rtt. roof or trailer question

TheBeatenPath

i currently use ground tents always have.
but i've always like the looks of the rtt's.

i kinda want to build a camp trailer and put a rtt on the trailer.but the reason i don't like ground tents much are the security factor not necessarily animals but people. i feel like people could be standing above me.scares me

on the trailer depending on how tall it is where are most of you guys at. headlevel or lower. whats the average height of your tent on you.

id like to put it on my jeep but then id need a rack but i would be secure from animals and people. but then i like tight trails so it could possibly damage the tent.

just what are your thoughts on the subject.

Eric S.

Adventurer
I would put it on the trailer so you can use the truck to explore without having to pack the tent.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Our foundation has a trailer, and the bottom of the tent is about 6-6'3" off the ground. That is an "Adventure Trailer" brand trailer, sitting on 35's though, so yours may be lower. My personal trailer, if I put a tent on it, the tent would be about 3'6" off the ground. The tent is tall enough for me to sit up in with a touch of space above, and I am 6'5" if that tells you anything.

TheBeatenPath

The mattress of the RTT on my trailer is 6 feet off the ground.
Our foundation has a trailer, and the bottom of the tent is about 6-6'3" off the ground. That is an "Adventure Trailer" brand trailer, sitting on 35's though, so yours may be lower. My personal trailer, if I put a tent on it, the tent would be about 3'6" off the ground. The tent is tall enough for me to sit up in with a touch of space above, and I am 6'5" if that tells you anything.

can i get pics of yalls trailers?

Paladin

Banned
IMG_6184.jpg

Pretty big, but not actually that heavy.

wardrow

Adventurer
id like to put it on my jeep but then id need a rack but i would be secure from animals and people. but then i like tight trails so it could possibly damage the tent.

just what are your thoughts on the subject.

Personally I say you should have it on your jeep, then again I'm partial to RTT's on jeeps. I have only encountered one or two situation off road that I was concerned about the tent getting hit. I have nothing against trailers, I have however had more instances off road where towing a trailer would have made the trip miserable. It all comes down to what YOU LIKE TO WHEEL!! I personally enjoy being able to cover the ground as nimble and self sufficient as possible. I'm not really a base camp kind of person. I go where I go, camp when I camp. Having the tent on top only takes a few minutes to put away, so exploring I go.

:lurk:

D

Deleted member 9101

I would put it on the trailer so you can use the truck to explore without having to pack the tent.

Exactly. Its nice being able to drop your trailer and drive off. Not having to pack up anything to make a beer run is really handy.

Paladin

Banned
Personally I say you should have it on your jeep, then again I'm partial to RTT's on jeeps. I have only encountered one or two situation off road that I was concerned about the tent getting hit. I have nothing against trailers, I have however had more instances off road where towing a trailer would have made the trip miserable. It all comes down to what YOU LIKE TO WHEEL!! I personally enjoy being able to cover the ground as nimble and self sufficient as possible. I'm not really a base camp kind of person. I go where I go, camp when I camp. Having the tent on top only takes a few minutes to put away, so exploring I go.

Understand what you're saying, works for many.

I have 2 kids, so if I don't take a trailer, it means going really minimalist, which I can do using the typical hiking camping equipment. No room for a fridge/cooler!

I like having the option of taking the trailer if I want. I would never attempt it on more than a level 2 or 3 trail. 2Level alone. Level 3 if there are other trucks to help get me unstuck. :D

btz

I've been trying to make the same decision ... rtt on Jeep or trailer. For me I definitely desire the minimalist aspect of adding a rack and rtt to the Jeep. The biggest thing I can't get over is what that's like with the top off (which is how I ride whenever possible)! I'm not sure I'm willing to compromise that, so a trailer is the way I'm leaning right now despite it having its own cons.

Guess it really depends on what variables you value in the Jeep equation!

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
We run one rtt on our 4-door JK and a rtt on our Trailer..:sombrero: The one on the jeep is for the wife and I the trailer is for the kids.

btz

We run one rtt on our 4-door JK and a rtt on our Trailer..:sombrero: The one on the jeep is for the wife and I the trailer is for the kids.

Have seen the pics ... Have been looking closely at your trailers, though I'd take your Jeep too!

Do you ever ride the Jeep with the top off? I think every pic I saw had the hard top on.

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
Have seen the pics ... Have been looking closely at your trailers, though I'd take your Jeep too!

Do you ever ride the Jeep with the top off? I think every pic I saw had the hard top on.

I love riding with the top off but with 2 young kids and and another one coming in 2.5 months summer top removal is out of the question this summer.

I will be running a different rack for the times I do remove the top. I just don't like the look of the racks that sit real high when the top is removed...looks goofy to me.

btz

So trying to ignore for a minute the fact that you build what appear to be some high quality trailers ...

If kids weren't an issue and you didn't have the utilitarian need of both a rack AND a trailer ... Which would you go with?

I know, a pretty loaded and unfair question ... But not a lot of people have real world experience with both.

Good questions. I have it both ways, and still wonder which is best.
I think it comes down to what type of trip you are going on. If its gonna be, "break camp and move on" every day, then on the truck is easier, but if "base camping", then trailer is great.
You would think that the trailer would offer lots of more room to store stuff (and mathmatically it really does), but is seems that we fill whatever room we have with our stuff, whether using the trailer, or just truck. Must be some sort of Murphys law or something....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94