lets see your hummingbird pics

CAPTAIN COORS

Adventurer
I've been into hummingbird photography for two years and having alot of fun with it. Linda and I now take trips just to photograph these little guys. Anyone else having as much fun as I am out there?

This pic we are putting on the back of our rv, 48 x 48 inch.

HUMMINGBIRD101.jpg

CAPTAIN COORS

Adventurer
This is one I really like.

tech info
70 to 300 Canon 2.8 shot at 300 mm
1/180 F16
iso 200
4 flashes set a 1/16 power
Canon 5D
edited in Lightroom 3.4

hummingbird-102.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Amazing shots Captain. Very well done.

I enjoy hummers but I have not stepped up my game to your level yet.

Here are few of mine.

1145605196_UbegG-L.jpg

1145603591_nVjn2-L.jpg

1145603045_RgkbY-L.jpg

511791662_zGhy2-L.jpg

511791903_v7cLx-L.jpg

511792369_ydEoK-L.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
OK you dog. :elkgrin: I need some education. How the heck do you capture your excellent images. I am thinking it's has a lot to do with the flash set up to freeze the motion since your shutter speed is not that fast.

Do you have any tips for someone that would love to be able to capture shots even half as nice as yours?

CAPTAIN COORS

Adventurer
the trick is not shutter speed, its the short duration of the flash, its strob photography, set your sync speed for flash then stop down to a F value like 18 to 25 (which would be black without flash), set your flash to its lowest power setting then fire a way, a little luck also goes a long way

4xdog

Explorer
Here in the "east" (although a few miles west of the Mississippi), we have only one species of hummingbird, the Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Archilochus colubris.

The Rockies and westward have a number of species. Could you tell us which ones you've captured in your photos?

TIA,

Don

CAPTAIN COORS

Adventurer
We live near Tucson and have Anna's and Costa's all year round. Southern Arizona is a prime location for hummingbirds and birds in general. Cave Creek area near Portal Az which is less than 200 miles from our home so we often go there to camp and photograh birds. There you may see: Black chinned, Blue-throated, Allen (not often), Rufous, Broad-tailed, Calliope, Magnificent. Maybe I'll post a pick of each and label

phxtoad

Adventurer
This was from last weekend up at a cabin along the Blue River in far eastern Arizona. This property had three feeders and the 'oranges' (these guys) would have constant turf battles with the 'greens'. All day they went from feeder to feeder gaining/losing control of each. They were so preoccupied with their battles that I could stand inches away from this feeder and they'd happily buzz all around me. The oranges were faster and more aggressive - they weren't friendly. The greens on the other hand were overly friendly. They'd perch on my finger and drink from the feeder until driven-off by an orange. I've never had one do that before.

Any idea what these orange ones are called?

IMG_5401_zpsaa678718.jpg

IMG_5400_zps7bfb710f.jpg

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Those are Rufous Hummers. Feisty little suckers.

Here are couple of my recent shots.

B73A3321-XL.jpg

_MG_8013-XL.jpg

B73A3193-XL.jpg

B73A2597-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke