08 Silverado Suspension Decision

08Silverado

Adventurer
I have a question for you guys. I currently run a daystar leveling block on my 08 Silverado 1500 4wd. I have been eyeing the rough country 3.5" suspension kit in order to get a few extra needed inches of lift. The kit has two options.

Option 1:
3.5" coil spacers without new upper control arms.

Option 2:
Same coil spacers with new upper control arms and new heavy duty ball joints.

My question is do you think the new upper control arms are necessary? I realize the new heavy duty ball joints would be beneficial but I'm not sure these upper control arms are worth an extra $180.

According to rough country I can achieve good cv angles with or without the new upper a arms.

Thanks for your input.

Kyle

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Your question

HD ball joints or Moog problem solvers are a must IMHO.

Are the control arms in their kit stronger or extended, I'd suspect they are not stock configuration by any stretch of the imagination. The manufacturer can explain why use their C-arms.

GM/Chevy steering center link "the type which tie rod attaches directly to the end of the center link" is a known issue and not sure if this has been resolved by GM. At full travel the tie rod bends even breaks as it impacts other components in the front end. SEE: "Bullet proof steering" on the web.

Last edited:

ExpoFeast

The thing I like about the rc kit with control arms is the serviceable ball joint. I have installed both kits on customers vehicles and the kit with new are arms seems to also give a bit more travel. Honestly, your getting the exact same lift as a ready lift for half the price.

08Silverado

Adventurer
Thanks for the input on this. I think I will end up getting the new a arms. I'm not sure if the new a arms will be as strong as factory but I do like the fact that the new ball joint seems to be a more heavy duty part than stock. Also I don't do any hardcore offroading by any means as this is also my daily driver and doesn't see much more than forest roads and skidder trails while I'm off the beaten path.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94