Old Suburbans

Zimnij Volk

Observer
Alright, so I went and looked at it. It's a bit gutless at low speeds because of the gears, but I expected that. Looks like it's exhaust is 3in in diameter, and everything else is perfect. However... There is a leak coming from the transfer case. After I had driven it and parked it in his driveway I noticed a puddle. It was actually a stain, but there were fresh drips from it coming down. He said it's been at it for a while, but uses only about 3/4 of a cup of fluid a year. He doesn't drive it much however, so that worries me.

Little Red

Adventurer
I would wait and buy another suburban, there are (and will be) plenty for sale right now because of the high gas prices. It shouldn’t be too hard to find a good one for around $2000

MatthewThompson

Adventurer
My 2¢ would be to find something cheap with a straight body. These generation of trucks will take just about any powertrain you can throw at them. Find yourself a clean, straight truck with a bad engine or trans, and craigslist yourself a big block on the cheap.

I have a 91 1500 in decent shape here in Colorado I would sell for 4k with the 12k warn winch on it and 4 thule crossbars.

4" lift 35's needs regearing or a 3/4 ton 10/14 swap done for the 4.10's

barn doors with 3 rows new dash pad and 170k miles

if you might be interested you can message me at burb@expedition4x4.org and I can send more pictures

33700_1609213587690_1156712319_31795592_5195330_n.jpg

Last edited:

Zimnij Volk

Observer
That's a nice looking Burb, but $5K is out of my range. My range is about $2500 tops. And that's if it's really nice. Yeah, I'm more than a little disappointed with that one. I'm starting to think I should get one that's a little rough around the edges and use the money I save to make it a little nicer slowly but surely. As long as it's mechanically sound and isn't rusting out really bad...

Little Red

Adventurer
Here is one close to you for only $900
Looks like a pretty good deal
1989 ½ ton with ¾ ton axels and larger tires

Here is another one close to Portland, OR
1989 3/4ton $1500 looks clean
And another one without pictures but it is an 1991 ¾ ton! for only $1500

This one has been for sale for quite some time and looks very interesting to use for overland travel 1989 suburban conversion only $1000
I really want to buy this one myself but don’t have the money right now or I would. The raised roof would be great for camping

Good luck

Zimnij Volk

Observer
I'm actually talking to all of these people. The 91 has actually replied, and I've gotten pictures. If today wasn't Mother's Day, and the wifey wouldn't kill me, I'd go look at it today. Trying to arrange a time to see him for tomorrow or next week some time.

BigTex

Observer
I'm new, been lurking for a while. I found this on the Dallas CL and thought it was worth sharing.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/2339890614.html

High top 4x4 suburban, with A/C unit, and bed, seems like a great start for an ExPo vehicle. It's a little far from the great North West, but I figured there were others on here, like myself, interested in this thread that may be closer to Dallas.

JoshG

Last year I looked for the "perfect" suburban for over 3 months. Although my budget was a little higher than yours I still wanted a good truck. I ended up with a 1998 3/4 ton with a 6.5TD. White exterior, no rust...grey interior and barn doors. My other must haves was a bench front seat and a 3rd row and also no leather.

My wife said she didn't want blue or red interior, so I searched and searched. Finally found the right truck, paid $5,000 out the door, drove it for 2 months and realized the head gaskets were blown. Took apart the engine and they had dumped liquid glass into it to seal up the head gasket, needless to say I bought a new block and heads from a 89 military hmmwv. Built the engine and the suburban is freakin cool!

It turns heads everywhere I go, I never drive over 65 and cops follow me, was pulled over in Texas for no reason and questioned extensively...weird.

I found out, while searching for parts that it was a diplomatic vehicle! Which explains the rarity of the gray fabric interior with 3 bench seats...needless to say the truck has 4.10 gears and will go 110+ (my mechanic checked it out late one night to make sure it was going to hold up after we put the rebuilt engine in it).

Look for a 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 6.2 diesel, for those who say they are dogs, mine isn't! It flat hauls! maybe my computer isn't neutered, but with a 6.5 IP and injectors and turbo a 6.2 is an incredible beast. Buy one on the cheap, with a good running engine and fix it up little by little as you go. My suburban is so cool that I might not get the hmmwv I always wanted, I might just get another suburban from the 80's and build it up like a cucv.

Zimnij Volk

Observer
I was debating on getting an old CUCV later on for another truck. Your 6.2 isn't gutless then? Any problems?

Well I've since bought that Suburban LittleRed posted and sold my truck off. Someone finally didn't lowball me and paid a little more for it when they saw it. Glad they appreciated it. Always been a good little truck to me. Glad they didn't insult me... Still sad to see it go though... All the memories... *Sniff*

Little Red

Adventurer
I'm new, been lurking for a while. I found this on the Dallas CL and thought it was worth sharing.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/2339890614.html

High top 4x4 suburban, with A/C unit, and bed, seems like a great start for an ExPo vehicle. It's a little far from the great North West, but I figured there were others on here, like myself, interested in this thread that may be closer to Dallas.

Wow :Wow1: that is a great find, I would buy that suburban in a heartbeat, especialy for that price and it's a 91!
Too bad I am not anywhere near Dallas :mad:

Well I've since bought that Suburban LittleRed posted and sold my truck off.

Cool, hope you like it.

Zimnij Volk

Observer
I'll make sure to take some pics when I get it all cleaned up. I think that Suburban Conversion you listed a while back is still up for grabs. Not sure if it runs or anything but it looks pretty nice. :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles