2011 Dodge Cummins Build

sdwhip

Observer
This will be a fairly slow build but here is my 2011 2500 Cummins St Crew Cab. I was equipping my 2008 Dodge 1500 for camping, towing, off roading, and basically an all around do it all truck but finally decided before I got to deep into it I would be better of with a 2500. I thought about a Power Wagon or a 2500 with the Hemi but decided the cummins would have all the power I would ever need and while the 6.7 is not the most fuel efficient of the cummins it will still out do the Hemi. My 1500 was programmed with superchips and I ran 91 octane so fuel price difference will be within a few cents. I also payed less for this truck than any Power Wagon I could find and the dealer I bought it from included a nationwide unlimited mileage lifetime warranty for as long as I own the truck. The first mods will be a topper (as soon as my other one sells) with roof rack and basket and bigger tires. I would like to get 315/70/17s but they are D rated and have a max psi of 50 and if I have less than 65 psi in the front tires then the TPMS is going to be going off all the time so I may have to stick with a 295 E rated tire. Anyway here are the pictures of the new truck and a couple of the truck it replaced that is basically how this one will be set up but this truck will end up with more mods because I will be keeping it for a long time.
mail 1.jpg

mail 2.jpg

mail 3.jpg

Sam's camera 399.JPG

mail.jpg

Last edited:

my1stcummins

Adventurer
Those new Rams are soooo nice, makes the old ones(like mine) feel like rubbermaid containers inside.

Any plans to rid your truck of the DPF system to increase your mileage? I added an intake and deleted the cat on my 5.9 and I can get low 20's pretty easy on the hwy.

Halligan

Adventurer
Unless things have changed for MY 2011 you should be able to run a D range tire. On my 2010 I have A button on the dash to swith to a "light load" setting for the TPMS. I think the light load setting allows for 60psi in the front and 45 in the rear. I'm currently running 60psi in front and 50psi in the rear with my 285/70R17 GY Silent Armors. Those tires, like most D range tires have a 65psi max stamped on the sidewall.

Good luck with the new truck. Mine is a Crew Cab Hemi powered 2500. If you want a suspension that will eclipse a Power Wagon look towards companies like Carli, Thuren, or Lorenz. All make superb kits for Dodge trucks. I personally will be installing the Carli starter kit I just received. These companies sell "suspension systems" not to be confused with a standard "lift kit".

sdwhip

Observer
Any plans to rid your truck of the DPF system to increase your mileage? I added an intake and deleted the cat on my 5.9 and I can get low 20's pretty easy on the hwy.[/QUOTE]

Yes these fourth gen trucks are amazing compared to the third gens even though I enjoyed my 08. As of now I'm not planning on any of the DPF delete kits even though the added fuel mileage would be nice. For now I'm more interested in maintaining the warranty and with the lifetime warranty I would never have to worry about anything on the truck. Did you notice mpg gains with the CIA alone or did you do both together?

my1stcummins

Adventurer
Yes these fourth gen trucks are amazing compared to the third gens even though I enjoyed my 08. As of now I'm not planning on any of the DPF delete kits even though the added fuel mileage would be nice. For now I'm more interested in maintaining the warranty and with the lifetime warranty I would never have to worry about anything on the truck. Did you notice mpg gains with the CIA alone or did you do both together?

I wish I could give a comparison but I had the truck for 2 days then took it to the shop to throw on the CAI, Edge Mileage Max chip, and exhaust before I put it on a barge and shipped it to Alaska. My intent has been efficiency rather than power. There is no way I need more than stock power numbers but I wanted this Diesel to breathe easy. I also took out the intake baffles and turbo silencer ring... I love turbo whistle.

sdwhip

Observer
That's alright it's hard to compare your 5.9 with the 6.7 anyway because of their differences. Any performance mods I make will be minor and for efficiency purpose only because like you I'm pretty sure the 650 ft/lb I have will realistically be all I ever need.

sdwhip

Observer
Unless things have changed for MY 2011 you should be able to run a D range tire. On my 2010 I have A button on the dash to swith to a "light load" setting for the TPMS. I think the light load setting allows for 60psi in the front and 45 in the rear. I'm currently running 60psi in front and 50psi in the rear with my 285/70R17 GY Silent Armors. Those tires, like most D range tires have a 65psi max stamped on the sidewall.

Good luck with the new truck. Mine is a Crew Cab Hemi powered 2500. If you want a suspension that will eclipse a Power Wagon look towards companies like Carli, Thuren, or Lorenz. All make superb kits for Dodge trucks. I personally will be installing the Carli starter kit I just received. These companies sell "suspension systems" not to be confused with a standard "lift kit".

The TPMS should be the same but on the door post it says 65 front and 45 rear psi for light load but maybe I could get away with 60. I know one of my rear tires was at 43 psi and I messed with the light load button and couldn't get it to go back into light load until I got it up to 45. I was looking at the Hankook RF10 at Discount in the 315 and they did have a max of 60 psi. One guy there said they put 315s on a 2011 Ram the other day and they couldn't get the TPMS right since it wasn't up to 65 psi. Maybe the Cummins trucks require the extra 5psi over the Hemi? I will most likely get the Hankooks or GY Duratracs if I go with 315s, or the E rated Hankook in the 295.

As far as suspension goes a buddy gave me a leveling kit that he never used so I'll probably throw that on when I get tires and do suspension upgrades later from one of the companies you mentioned. How much lift is the kit your using? Let me know how it works out for you.

Halligan

Adventurer
The TPMS should be the same but on the door post it says 65 front and 45 rear psi for light load but maybe I could get away with 60. I know one of my rear tires was at 43 psi and I messed with the light load button and couldn't get it to go back into light load until I got it up to 45. I was looking at the Hankook RF10 at Discount in the 315 and they did have a max of 60 psi. One guy there said they put 315s on a 2011 Ram the other day and they couldn't get the TPMS right since it wasn't up to 65 psi. Maybe the Cummins trucks require the extra 5psi over the Hemi? I will most likely get the Hankooks or GY Duratracs if I go with 315s, or the E rated Hankook in the 295.

As far as suspension goes a buddy gave me a leveling kit that he never used so I'll probably throw that on when I get tires and do suspension upgrades later from one of the companies you mentioned. How much lift is the kit your using? Let me know how it works out for you.

I bet the Cummins requires the extra 5psi up front due to the weight. As for tires I originally put 295 Hankooks on my truck and I could not get them to balance out. I had a constant vibration around 65-70mph even after several rebalances.

I returned the Hankooks and put on the GY Duratracs in the stock 265 series and I had to return them as well. It appears the Duratracs have a thin sidewall and even in the E range the truck would make some interesting movements while switching lanes at highway speeds. Do a internet search on Duratracs as this seems to be a common complaint. Now I'm running the 285 Silent Armors with zero complaints.

As for my suspension I'm installing the Carli starter system. http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/dodge-ram/suspension/starter.html This kit replaces the front coil springs and sway bar end links. In the rear it replaces the overload leaf in the spring pack with a mini multi leaf progressive spring pack. The kit also includes Bilstein 5100 series shock absorbers. In addition I ordered the adjustable track bar to recenter the front axle. In the end this will add appoximately 2 3/4" to the front and 1" to the rear but I think it's advertised as a 3" kit.

If you buy just a leveling kit from Carli it will include the same coil springs, front shocks, and end links as the starter system I purchased. I was originally going to go with just the level kit but in the end decided to address the rear suspension as well.

Please don't think I'm knocking your tire choices but I just spent the last 1 1/2 months dealing with tires so maybe I can save you some grief. FWIW I was going to look at the Nitto Terra Grappler in 295/70R17. It's a load range D with a 65psi max. When I wear my Goodyears out that may be my next tire.

Last edited:

sdwhip

Observer
No worries that's what these threads are for, to get as much info as possible from other people to know what to avoid and get ideas. I've thought alot about what tires to get and I want to get it right the first time. I had BFG A/Ts on my last truck and they always got me where I needed and wanted to go and they had a little over 40k on them when I traded the truck so maybe I will go that route again. I know there are alot of people that have had issues with them as well but I had good luck with them. Do you have a build thread going on your truck? If not you should start one when you begin the suspension install.

Halligan

Adventurer
No worries that's what these threads are for, to get as much info as possible from other people to know what to avoid and get ideas. I've thought alot about what tires to get and I want to get it right the first time. I had BFG A/Ts on my last truck and they always got me where I needed and wanted to go and they had a little over 40k on them when I traded the truck so maybe I will go that route again. I know there are alot of people that have had issues with them as well but I had good luck with them. Do you have a build thread going on your truck? If not you should start one when you begin the suspension install.

Be careful with the BFG A/T's in larger than stock sizes (greater than 285's). For some reason they are known to cause "Death Wobble" on heavy duty Rams. Other tires will induce this condition but the BFG's seem to cause it more often. Again a quick internet search will provide plenty of info.

As for the suspension build I do intend to document and start a thread showing the install. I'm just waiting on the end links which are shipping direct from Carli as I type. Hopefully this upcoming weekend weather permitting I will install at least the front end parts.

docdiaz

id buy that topper from you right now if you where in NC. ive been looking for a topper for my 08 for a year.

sdwhip

Observer
You could come pick it up, depending on where you live its only a 26 hour drive tops. I can't wait to get one for this truck and hopefully it will be before memorial day cause thats my first camping trip every year.

sdwhip

Observer
Be careful with the BFG A/T's in larger than stock sizes (greater than 285's). For some reason they are known to cause "Death Wobble" on heavy duty Rams. Other tires will induce this condition but the BFG's seem to cause it more often. Again a quick internet search will provide plenty of info.

As for the suspension build I do intend to document and start a thread showing the install. I'm just waiting on the end links which are shipping direct from Carli as I type. Hopefully this upcoming weekend weather permitting I will install at least the front end parts.
Well I'll have to do some serious thinking before I get tires. I'm looking forward to your thread when you get the rest of your parts. You can practice on my truck first if you want.

Halligan

Adventurer
Well I'll have to do some serious thinking before I get tires. I'm looking forward to your thread when you get the rest of your parts. You can practice on my truck first if you want.

Wow you have alot of faith in my mechanical abilities if your going to let me practice on your truck. In all seriousness this will be the biggest job I've tackled in a long time so I hope it goes smooth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz