The Suburban back end door debate

82fb

Adventurer
I have had two burbs with barn doors, 90 and 94, and a k5 with tailgate. I now have a 99 burb with tailgate. 99 is my favorite for visibility, table use, window pops up to keep the rain off when loading stuff. Tailgate is much lighter than the k5 since the window is not inside it. The visibility issue with the barn doors was the worst thing.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Barn doors or nothing for me, easier access to the inside, no electric/manual window to worry about, they're not heavy to open/close... anyone that complains about visibility with doors isn't driving a lifted suburban. After about 4" the rear view mirror is dead weight wether youve got a gate or doors. Unless the next car is 100' back, you ain't seeing it.

Northman

Adventurer
I love my Barn Door and use them for Storage and Table .

8764645zui.jpg

PsychoBurb

Observer
Barn Doors ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am on my second burb. First was an 86 w/barn doors, I still regret selling that thing. Current is an 85 with tailgate.

I have seriously considered buying another barn door burb just for the body, and swapping the whole body out on mine. THAT is how much I hate the tailgate. I have completely rebuilt the entire inner workings and it still does not work right, if at all. I disassemble and reassemble it at least once every two weeks or so, just to get it working again.

I bought it thinking I could swap for the barn doors, only to discover that is not really an option on models later than '80. So now I am going to convert the rear window to manual. But like others have said, access to the gear in the back is an issue too. Mine has a 4" lift on 35" tires. I am 6'3" and have to hop up onto the tailgate, then crawl in. I built a drawer system in the back now, and that makes accessing gear much easier, but I still wish I had the barn doors. If I ever buy another, it WILL have the barn doors, no exceptions!

TurboChris

Adventurer
The weight of the tailgate on my 98 K2500 is NOT an issue. Lightest tail gate I've ever seen. I can close it with one finger.

xpndbl3

Adventurer
the tailgate in my 88 suburban closes SMOOOTHLY. Not hard to close or lift up, i don't see what the issue is at all. Maybe you need to grease your hinges or lube them, this one is just as easy as opening/closing the liftgate on our brand new suburban as well.

bfdiesel

Explorer
I have a six and a half foot arm span. I can reach everything fine over the tail gate. I have yet to find a tailgate that was too heavy to close. If for some reason you are parked close to something the window can still be rolled down and stuff in the back accessed.

Cotton

I own both. I have a a 91 Suburban with barn doors and an 84 Blazer with a tailgate and manual window. For me I prefer the tailgate. Sure, it's a pain to roll the window down just to open it, but I like the fact that I can roll the window down. Also, in my opinion, visibility out of the barn doors is pretty poor. I can live with either, but in the end I have a slight preference for the tailgate with manual window. In my perfect world the tailgate would be a combo unit that would swing out or fold down.

Erik N

Adventurer
Barn doors. How cozy is this?

And, yes, that is a bottle of tequila.

Attachments

• IMG_3575.JPG
    IMG_3575.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Keitha

Observer
Wow, lots of barn door lovers here. I have always had tailgates on each of the 5 Suburbans I have owned. I did not like the 1999 with the lift glass as it was always in the way - you could not stand on the tailgate without first closing the window...
I have never had a problem with the window mechanics outside of a striker adjustment and cleaning the window lock-out switch. While the tailgate on my 1991 is not light, it does have a torsion bar to assist with the heft - My 80 year old Dad does not have a problem closing it but I don't think my 7 year old son could do it ealisy (more due to height).
The tailgate is a bit inconveniant at times as it is not as quick to open and close and you do have to jump inside to get access to some things. As for jerry cans etc: you can add a swing out spare tire carrier and can holder.

wikun

Observer
I like the barn doors for their expandability. The beauty panels can be removed and you can add a drop down table for chopping block duty or food prep or camp stove. The space where the panels were covering can be converted into a small inline pantry for spices or cans of flat repair. The other side can be a drop down table with an insert cut into it to put a basin into for washing dishes or bathroom sink duty. And in regards to the swing out tire or jerry an holders, all I have to say is where there is a will, there is a way. Google sketch up. Barn doors with tie down straps to the side of the burb to keep them open. Ideas, ideas for the doors. The tailgate limits my imagination. Anyway that is my .02

Keitha

Observer
...In those bodies they are interchangeable, but you need a donor that is complete for all of the different trim pieces.

I am pretty sure that they are not interchangable. You would need to actually cut the rear off the donor and graft it in place of the subject Sub. It is way more than just trim.

Repo503

Adventurer
I like both...but I prefer the gate just for a place to sit down when removing wet gear. I wouldnt let either turn me off if I found an otherwise good truck. My neighbor refuses to replace their ancient burb with a new one because they have saint bernards and the easier loading with barn doors is easier on the dogs joints. Its funny to watch him open the doors, the dogs put their front paws into the car and wait to get their rears lifted up and in. Hes spry but getting old (80 something) so if I see them out there I always walk down and help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne