The Suburban back end door debate

goin camping

Explorer
There will be another Suburban in our house soon. So this is the first of many posts seeking your knowledge and opinion.

Barn Doors

Pro:
Fast opening
You can hang tires and gas cans on them.
??

Con:
??

Tailgate:

Pro:
It's a table.
It's a chair.
It's somewhere to stand to access a roof rack.
??

Con:
Electric window motors and wiring break and then tailgate is useless.
Takes longer to gain access.
??

Please add in the things I have missed and your opinions.

Last edited:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Simply put…. Barn doors are more durable and durability is what you want in a rig you take to the neverlands.

my1stcummins

Adventurer
When my dad had one, we opted for the tailgate for access but also for visibility. When we would go skiing or hiking, barn door burbans would always get filthy back windows and with the tailgate you had not only better visibility with the glass but also you have a wiper to clear away muck buildup.

Having a seat is great when the gate is down, and if sleeping in the back, it is nice having the glass open and it still keeps rain out.

The issue with the weight of the tailgate can be negated by installing a tailgate assist device

I've got one of these on my ram and love it.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dee-Zee-43300-Tailgate-assist/dp/B001G8KABE"]Amazon.com: EZ Down Tailgate assist: Automotive[/ame]

or go this route
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CMHVJO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001G8KABE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=04JA8ASQKSC1SC4Y2RPB"]Amazon.com: Hopkins EASYLIFT Tailgate Easylift: Automotive[/ame]

I don't see the durability argument. We had ours with 200k and many years of camping, skiing, soccer, trips etc and the only two problems we ever had on the truck was losing an alternator in the middle of Iowa, and losing a gear in the transfer case. Very solid trucks.

Smksignals

Explorer
Barn Doors !! I had an 89 Burb with a tail gate. With the height of the rig and the length of the tail gate you have to climb up onto the tail gate and crawl into the back of of the Burb to access anything in the rear. A royal PITA !!

racemedic

Observer
I would go with Barn Doors. When I got my '81 Burb it had Barn Doors, I didn't even think about rear door choices at the time. But after having it for a while and using it for camping and every day use I was glad it came with them.

shovelbill

Observer
Can they be swapped out?

don't quote me on this, but i believe the rear designs are completely different. i "think" you have to kinda graft them on.

a very desirable and rare truck is the two door Tahoe with barn doors. i'm used to pickups and Blazers so i like a gate for what i do.....i'll certainly agree that it's a pain to get in to a lifted gate truck......and i'm a gigantic 5' 7". i've been thinking about a swing out "ladder" of sorts, but i like my tailgate.

ever see a Suburban with a K5 top/gate grafted on the back?

zukrider

Explorer
barn doors.

when the stop strap breaks on one, it will have weight on it (you). this causes the tailgate to tweak, therefor ruining the ability to open and close easily. plus, when the motor for the window goes bad, its always the wrong way. down in rain, up in heat. up also prevents you from opening.

barndoors

helcaraxe

a very desirable and rare truck is the two door Tahoe with barn doors.
One of my coworkers has a mid 90's 2-DR GMC Yukon with barn doors. Awesome truck!!

I recently bought a 1993 GMC Suburban with Barn Doors. First night out in the rain and the rear cargo area carpet is wet. I don't see a leak or anything wrong with the rubber around the doors, but I believe it's a common problem for them to leak after a while.

bldeagle10

Explorer
my 75 c10 has the lift gate. the motor is out but i still rather have it than the barn doors. it looks better in my opinion. its different. and visibility is greater which is a plus.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Dirty windows barn doors ot tailgate

At about 40 mph drag pulls dirt which attaches to windows, the rear dirty window problem can be resolved with the application of Air Tabs.

In fact Air Tabs can be applied at leading edge of roof to eliminate the additional drag created by items loaded on a roof rack too.

Interesting little do-dads that work over 40mph.

DKB2GO

Observer
My uncle, a long-time horseman and (now retired) GM worker, has owned two Chevy Suburbans. The first one, he got in the 80's and drove it into the ground. He replaced that with another one, about 7 years ago. In both instances, he went with the tailgate option. Unfortunately, the tailgate meant we had to crawl into the back to reach gear, tack, saddles, cooler, etc. This became a PITA. It did provide an impromptu table/seating area and allowed for ventilation when we slept in it. Yet, it is unlikely that any of us not carry chairs because we have a tailgate to sit on.

The barn doors afford easier access to gear and, someone correct me if I'm wrong, the flexibility to add a bumper rack arrangement for a locker and or Jerry cans. Thus, I'd have to say barn doors are probably the better route; especially given a camping or overlanding situation.

Quill

Adventurer
Being short I always crack my knee on the tail gate. That said I prefer the split tail gate to the full lift gates on many vehicles. One definite advantage in having a tail gate is if you have cargo that sticks out at times. Easier driving with an open tail gate than doors. A roof rack takes care of most of those situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles