home made camper shell

EuroJoe

Adventurer
I'm posting here as I plan to try and build a truck cap, and use the similar methods seem on HBD teardrop.

I was looking for a used one on CL and thought i had found a great contender, but when i went to get it it was beat to heck, only things that were good, seemed to be the windows and back door. It got me thinking, could I re-skin in? hmm? during the drive back I started to wonder if i could strip the windows and door off, rebuild with plywood and use that?

my main concern is weather proofing, i want to use it to keep stuff in the bed dry firstly, and i might try build a drawer/platform system for weekend camping. I'm looking for ideas for it. aluminium sheets glued down? varnish it like a boat? should I find a marine ply?

Thanks in advance

"joe"

frgtwn

Adventurer
I have seen similar things done over the years, and my best thought is that you should do it only if you really want a self-built top. It will not be cost effective, given the used prices for quality campers. Of course, markets differ, but if you have the time and patience, there are deals to be had.

In this market, Los Angeles, I passed on many $400-$600 campers that were very nice, waiting for that $100 top that I could live with. I found it, used it for one trip, and it waits for a decision to sell, or perhaps another trip. (I'm an open bed kinda guy.)

Good Luck, whichever way you go.

Dale

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94