What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

Mitch502

Explorer
Haha! I'm ordering my rear bumper/tire carrier soon, so I might incorporate some lights into it at that time. I've been thinking about how to add lights for backing up for awhile

cdn_xj

Observer
Well, finally got everything setup how I'd planned. MorRyde hinges, tailgate re-inforcement and their tire carrier. Then mounted the Titan Tank, filled it, then loaded up my heavy 35" spare.

13241384_10153496104987595_4270665816470763399_n.jpg

Thoughts after driving around for a bit. Seems alright. More movement when I rock the tire, however I'm sure with a couple adjustments, I could sort that out. At least there's no noise while driving. A minor issue is that the piece Titan Tank gives you to fit the spare tire on doesn't extend enough to fit a 35x12.5 tire on a stock JK wheel without a spacer of sorts. Fortunately I had one from when I used the stock carrier. Annoying, but not the end of the world.

A much bigger concern is the fact that the hinges cannot support the weight. The tailgate drops by almost an inch when I unlatch it, and unless I lift it up when closing it, it rubs on part of my bumper. Have to say... this A) really bothers me considering what this setup cost (tire carrier and reinforcement setup was ~$700 CND with shipping + 200 something for the hinges - I forget what I paid for those). And B) is not what I was expecting after reading up on this. It'll do for now, and seeing how I'll rarely be using the tank, it's probably not the end of the world. And when I do use the tank, odds are I will not be in and out of the rear area. But that doesn't change the fact that this really bothers me. Eventually it looks like I'll have to go with either a dedicated bumper setup with a tire carrier or the AEV arm - which sucks, as I like the option of not being tied to a specific setup.

You can get just the AEV tire carrier and make it work with other bumpers. Paul from overlandjeep.ca did just that. You can also contact Christian Hansen @ Peden 4 Wheel Drive for details.

IIRC the AEV carrier mounts directly to the frame and not to the bumper itself.

The only issue that you might run into is compatibility between the Titan Tank and the AEV carrier. I don't know how closely Titan copied the AEV.

Looks pretty close ;)

I drove back from expo in mine today and letting it rest til next weekend when we are taking it to the Buena Vista Paddlefest

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Septu

Explorer
You can get just the AEV tire carrier and make it work with other bumpers. Paul from overlandjeep.ca did just that. You can also contact Christian Hansen @ Peden 4 Wheel Drive for details.

IIRC the AEV carrier mounts directly to the frame and not to the bumper itself.

The only issue that you might run into is compatibility between the Titan Tank and the AEV carrier. I don't know how closely Titan copied the AEV.

One of the other posters on here said that he knows someone running the Teraflex hinged carrier who has this tank and a 37 spare and that there's no movement at all. Will probably go that route, considering the price difference between the TF hinge ($750 CND) and the AEV arm ($1400).

Kosmo

Adventurer
Front End Bushing Rebuild. Brake Update

Hi:

Been working on getting the lower control arm ball joints and bushings swapped out.
IMG_0089.jpg
IMG_0178.jpg

Nick Kolak helped me out with all of the Moog, Stillen, Rubicon Express gear.

IMG_0033.jpg
Also added new JBA UCAs at the same time. Marlin at JBAoffroad also got me a new driver's side CV axle which I popped in.
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0510.jpg
A very naked WK front end with differential and lower control arms sitting in the garage for a week.

IMG_0552.jpg
I used Omelet's method of removing the old bushings. Snapon air hammer had little effect.
IMG_0553.jpg

Also changed front diff bushings which Kolak also got me a great deal on.
IMG_0595.jpg

It was a lot of work, and although I bought a 4 wheel drive Ball Joint Press, it certainly did not work for the large front Lower Control Arm Bushing. Next time I would probably take the control arms and bushings to a shop and let them press out and insert the new bushings, ball joints.

Last step I did was get it aligned and put the rear rotors and pads on this weekend. New brakes are great even though I just finished bedding them in, there is a real difference.

A note on JBA UCAs, and Front Disconnects. I have a couple issues, which I have written to Marlin Gehlman from JBA offroad (4xguard) about. Feel free to PM me, and I will explain. I want to wait until I have heard back from him, but one issue was a problem with front caster alignment being out of norms. Wondering if there was a left and a right, and I didn't see the markings. Both wheel spindles are a little to upright. They should be laying back more.

Also installed the rear Rubicon Express Anti-Sway bar disconnects

IMG_0737.jpg

Last edited:
Tested new rock lights.
864858a4a6d77d4905e8d51a7a7d6b4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This setup looks great. I too have an SPOD and have been considering doing something similar. Do you have a specific write up that you used? I'm curious how the LED's were wired together and then to the power source.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
This weekend I installed new front shocks and rock lights as I prep for our Rubicon run in July. The front shocks took three times longer than I hoped so the rears will have to wait until next weekend. I also installed front rock lights while the wheel wells were clear. Again, the rear rock lights will have to wait until next weekend when I do those shocks.

IMG_0771.JPG

If you're contemplating rock lights I'd suggest the Rough Country Rock Light Kit. I have an SPod so I ended up cutting the supplied wiring harness but the waterproof wiring harness is included and has everything that you need.

http://www.roughcountry.com/led-rock-lights-709rlc.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior