What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Took my antenna off the front of my JK. The spot looks perfect for a second "trail rated" circular badge to match the drivers side, so I inquired as to price.

$53 for a circular piece of plastic. Chrysler parts division, as politely as I can manage: go **** yourselves.

Goul6891

Took my antenna off the front of my JK. The spot looks perfect for a second "trail rated" circular badge to match the drivers side, so I inquired as to price.

$53 for a circular piece of plastic. Chrysler parts division, as politely as I can manage: go **** yourselves.

Being 'trail rated' ain't cheap! :p Next time you're there, price out some u-joints just for fun :banghead:

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader

Try ebay or a junkyard.

Modeler

W1DCS
Not today, but this past Sunday went wheeling w/ Ian Johnson on some private land in Southern NH for a second time.

He's just a regular Joe, pulls cable and helps out as needed.

88Xj

Banned
Added the 3rd rig to our fleet. First being my xj, second was our 2500, 454 burb for long trips and towing. Now the girl came around, sold her car and bought a jeep. Its a 1992, 4x4, 5speed. The jeep has a d30/d35 c-clip axle, with 3.07s. No recovery except the rear tow hitch.
Gots some dents and dings mainly rockers and passenger side...rocker replacement will solve the rocker issue, the other dents we will live with.
Anyway hit the junkyard instantly found some cool progressive rate coils for a xj that only boast 2.5" lift. Definitely a jeep coil and not sagged much at all from what i can tell. id really love to know which brand they are? These things ride way better than my ome 934s did. And I had a set of rangers leafs kicking around for the rear. I had some shocks off my previous 2-3" lift and it got crown hd steering.

So onto the pics.
Before. Sway bars were already disco'd front and rear. It was just fully stuffing the 235/75s
image_zps7c0d3aaa.jpg

image_zps367c7c8b.jpg

After. Post lift, still disco'd same 235/75 tires that are in great shape. You can see the coil in this pic..wound tightly by the top of the coil and then loosely like a normal coil at the bottom? Any ideas on brand?
image_zps5cf97297.jpg

image_zpsaa96bfe7.jpg

Ride height. Rear needs about 1/2" more after it settled. Its currently stock xjhd replacement pack that was in great shape around 108k, with the ranger main leaf added. I cut the ranger leaf so it went all the way to each bushing end...so the main leaf is fully supported by it. Thinking of swapping the 3rd xj leaf for the 3rd ranger to gain a little more height, or adding a mj shackle to pick up my 1/2". Fronts 2.5" heigher than stock when measuring. We want the rear about 2.75" taller.
image_zps6900dca0.jpg

Eventually goal is swap to some stock 5 spoke limited wheels that I have which are near identical in color to the jeep. I just gotta pay to swap over the tires. This gives me a matching 5th wheel & 235/75 tire for a full size spare vs the current donut. :)
As I stated no recovery, to solve that, I've got xj tow hook brackets front and rear ready to go on that came off my jeep when I did bumpers. I'm hunting for a oem rear gas tank skid. And a dirt bound transfercase skid is on order :)
Again its got the d30/d35 c-clip with 3.07s. The rear is in need of wheel seals and brakes but it wont see a penny of my money!
Ill be swapping in a rear d35 non c-clip with 3.55s that i picked up for free from a good friend. it saw a little. Action in my jeep before i rebuilt it...then i swapped in a 8.8 & kept the d35 for a rainy day....luckily i never tossed it out. The jeeps staying on 29" tires, possibly 30x9.5s, so the d35 isn't a worry. Plus its got brand new breaks, bearings and seals, and its a non c-clip version which held my 33s for some time. It also holds a oem LSD. The 3.55 will be a cheap mans regear & put me at 2200rpm at 65mph vs the current 1886rpm at 65mph. Should help mileage and offroad decently.
For the front I pulled a d30 abs axle for its bigger 760x shafts and the 3.55 matching gears while we were at the yard. This will be getting a full rebuild, ball joints, hubs, breaks ect before either axle are swapped. I also intend on LCA skids, boxed upper mount and gusseted outter c's since its already out of the vehicle.

Have a set of currie motor mounts on the way, a new trans mount has been picked up from autozone, crown HD steering was just bought and put on. I also have a. 99+ intake to go on with 703s and a 65mm tb and a banks revolver header with jet hot ceramic coating. Had th jeep for 5 days and its gone together quite quick, total investment between everything is just under 500 the jeep was 600. So 1100 total for what we have. Still got to rebuild the d30 and add some. Armor and a front locker, but I'm guessing 2000 will be a damn fine budget for her to have a very decent jeep.
I'd like to get a emt roof rack done and add in some aux lights up front. ive already added led replacement reverse and tail lights. Going to add in a simple 6" bar for a camping light and could love to throw on my old oem tire carrier for her.
Gonna pull the plastics and paint them all, clean it up and make it look better. Everything black is sun bleached to grey or the bumpers covered in surface rust. Gotta fix that for her. But for 600 bucks there's no way we could pass. The 2150 she got for the car is building up her jeep.

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Nothing too exciting lately...
Installed the revised AFE y pipe that finally arrived, this time correctly fit for a 2012+ with manual trans. Re-installed the Tom wood 1310 front drive shaft after getting it back from re-balance. Recently installed the Tom woods rear drive shaft as well. The pictures suck but you get the idea!

null_zps91fb4425.jpg

null_zps60783607.jpg

Next is probably metalcloak control arms. The rear pinion angle is within 1 degree but developes occasional high freq vibes at 60-70 under load. I think the stock bushings have too much slop. The front has around 5 degrees between pinion angle and drive shaft angle. Caster is already 4.2 degrees. I think I'll try upper control arms to try to back it down to 3.5 degrees or so and see if anything feels better, and see if it drives okay still.

Last week I installed a new FK rod end on the front synergy track bar, though it is in need of a new bushing now as well....

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Nothing fun, but requisites for southern Ontario living.

Put the door bolts back on, and greased them.

Cleaned, oiled, lubed the hi-lift in prep for winter. It's externally mounted so we'll see how it holds up during the winter months.

phxtoad

Adventurer
Finished installing a quick-disconnect CB, and a hand throttle control...

All the while getting chewed-on by spaguitos (as my 3-yr old would say)

Todd

Modeler

W1DCS
Replaced the rubber mount under the aftermarket air cleaner assy that had separated and allowed the tubing to bang on the ground side battery terminal. Also installed a Tough Stuff Products Hi Lift hood mount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94