What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
No, I wish I did...I think the frame rotted out of it and they ended up scrapping it for parts. Too bad too as it had a really healthy Chev SB 350 and a muncie 4 speed to go along with the aluminum tub and a host of other stuff. Loved that FJ. Lost touch with Chris too, good guy. Maybe I should look him up again? lol

Shame... yeah the frames on them aren't too great... I'm planning to eventually rebuild mine with the frame and engine and drivetrain of a GRJ79 Land Cruiser - the modern equivalent Toyota - just a body-swap really that way spare parts will all be straight off the GRJ79 - no strange custom made essential parts...

As opposed to the Brute which is shaping up to be entirely custom made parts :)

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
Just finished installing the fan, Mopar thermal clutch, shroud, and electric fan on the ol' JK last night.

There was a lot of swearing but persistence paid of and the installation is done. I'll be monitoring intake and transmission temperatures over the next while. The Mopar transmission cooler alone has really helped manage transmission temperatures and the fan should help further. I really want to see if this mechanical fan setup can bring intake temperatures down when out on the trail. I've seen temps upwards of 170-180 F with ambient temps of ~95 F in 4Lo on long slow climbs. Too hot in my opinion.

I went this route to avoid cutting holes in my hood or installing a snorkel; both unattractive options when trying to keep things looking stock as I am.

Details of this installation are at http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1186964.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
That actually seems pretty good. Don't JK thermostats open somewhere between 180 deg F and 195 Deg F?

True. Should have clarified that I was talking about engine air intake temperatures. Thermostat operation/engine cooling is rock solid; elevated air intake temperatures are another story.

This mod was installed to manage under hood temperatures not engine coolant temperatures. Avoids the need to install hood vents. The mechanical fan will move large volumes of cooling air through the engine bay at the expense of parasitic losses. Okay in my books.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
This weekend (18 hours of labor) installed the following:

AEV 3.5 SC
Front and rear 1310 shafts
aev rear bumper and tire carrier
aev front bumper
hidden warn zeon 10s

Appointment in the morning for some 35's

SquareLJ

Observer
Today, I made and installed mud flaps on the Jeep. A cop pulled me over and gave me a stern warning about not having mud flaps (don't worry, he gave me a ticket for three other things first!) and I was strongly advised to get them by the California Highway Patrol (while getting two of the tickets written off by the first cop). I didn't really want to because the ones available for sale are like $115. I kept my eye out for a while put just ended up making my own finally. $22 for the actual mud flaps and then $33 in hardware (I used SS hardware to prevent rust issues since my Jeep has plenty already).

Meh, I don't think they look too terrible. Plus, it's one less thing I can get a ticket for these days.

GCJEEPING

Observer
Not today since I just joined the forum, but here are a few of the past mods...

Belt driven OBA...

Kilbyair3.jpg

Sliders...

DSC01294.jpg

Tank lift...

DSC01393.jpg

Dual batt with BlueSea auto batt charger/isolator...

DSC01696.jpg

Belly skid...

DSC01791_zps2bf11c2f.jpg

Snorkel...

DSC01276.jpg

Half doors and full doors...

Vinyl door inserts...

vinyldoors3.jpg

Made a roof rack with led lights...

DSC01842.jpg

Winch bumper/brush guard...

DSC01844.jpg

Rear lights...

DSC01831.jpg

Center console with cobra 29 and radio...

20121216_150838.jpg

Swing out tire/gas can carrier with highlift...

GCJEEPING

Observer
Thanks. There is a lot more non-expedition mods I didnt list. Like your trailer build too. I'm getting ready to start one. Used to do a lot trail riding in AZ and NM before I moved to Oh. But now I'm back in N. Ca I can get back into it more.

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
Bought the ol' Wrangler a new set of tires (Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar). No more balloon street tires prone to punctures from the smallest of objects.

tyqadu6a.jpg

Before

u7ymety4.jpg

After

ydy8etaq.jpg

After

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Nice looking shoes on that JK. I have always liked the MTR's and hear good things about the new ones.

GCJEEPING, thanks for the trailer build comments...the trailer has been getting all the love lately and not the XJ. Only so many hours in the day, and now that I have 2 Jeeps the ole XJ seems to sit more than is fair.

bldeagle10

Explorer
bought new motor the other day, disconnected all wires, labeled wires, pulled off PS pump, AC compressor, starter, altenator, fan and acc fan, got it to where all I have to do is unbolt motor mounts and disconnect from tranny.

tomorrow should see the motor pulled, and start swapping brackets and such over to new motor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier