Garmin iQue

Canito is1

I was looking through some old things this afternoon and I came across my old Garmin iQue 3600 - the Palm Pilot/Navigation combo. I retired it a few years ago, but from what I remember Garmin did not support the unit anymore when I was having issues with it. Is there anyone around that is still using these?

Would it not be nice if electronics lasted half the time as other quality gear does!

Harald Hansen

Explorer
I've been using mine up til now, but it's a bit overdue for a map update, and I'm considering just buying a new "car" GPS for everyday use and something else for trips.

I've had two exchange units over the years as the batteries quickly went bad. Other than that I've been very happy with the unit.

Last edited:

Kilroy

Adventurer
I had one and resisted moving to a "car" Garmin for quite awhile. The iQue can't hold a stick to the new "car" ones. They're slow, take forever to connect with satellites. If you want mine you can have it for shipping.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
iQue FOREVER ! ! ! LOL!

I have three of these units. However, what pissed me off was the discontinuation of support AND the fact that even though they are old and unsupported, Garmin won't allow you to buy a new map and put it on all the units you own (I bought the others for "back-up" units). I like how easy it is to save waypoints as entries in the address book. Not sure how one of the new "car ones" will work that way.

And they are much slower to get a fix but I sure love mine.

Kilroy

Adventurer
I'm considering a Garmin Montana now, but I still feel that an updated iQue is what I need for car use.

I thought the iQue was great too and resisted replacing it. Sure glad I did. The cheapest, oldest (205W, $89) Garmin is heads above the iQue. Besides use, the iQue antenna sucks and takes forever to get satellites. The iQue was a cool for its time (I paid $500 for the thing.), but now it belongs in a GPS museum.

Harald Hansen

Explorer
I thought the iQue was great too and resisted replacing it. Sure glad I did. The cheapest, oldest (205W, $89) Garmin is heads above the iQue. Besides use, the iQue antenna sucks and takes forever to get satellites. The iQue was a cool for its time (I paid $500 for the thing.), but now it belongs in a GPS museum.

I have used an external antenna with mine. I put it in the sun roof of my Discovery, and put the cord under the headlining. It helps with coverage, and I imagine that the startup time is improved as well. But yes, it takes a loooong time for a cold start.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Well the boot time I think is more a function of 1st gen algorithms and processors than the antenna. The new ones seem to lock on instantly! I too am looking at the Montana but I've heard great things about the car units having incredible detail. and the Montana sure is pricy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles