And currently as it sits:

FILE0002.jpg

Last edited:

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Last Updated 6.9.11

Currently installed:
Pro Comp Rear Add-A-Leafs (51099B-5)
Back Country Vans solid body and bumper lift (from LOOPIE)
Pro Comp 9000 Shocks (918501 Ft, 926500 Rr.)
Overland Vans 3" rear lift shackles
Overland Vans front torsion keys
Dorman 35" long torsion bars
31x10.5R15 Pro Comp X-Treme All Terrain tires (full set of 5)
GMC Safari grille swap & Astro de-badge
Clarion CZ500 stereo head unit = can delete & put stock stereo in for discount
Optima yellow top deep cycle battery

Maintenance Performed:
New rear hatch lift supports 4/26/11
New thermostat 5/3/11
New serpentine belt 5/3/11
New belt tensioner pulleys (2) 5/3/11
Transmission service (fluid & filter) 5/9/11
New Accel HP Ignition Coil 6/28/11
New Delphi fuel pump 8/3/11
New Napa Gold fuel filter 8/7/11 (pn# 3481)
New fuel sending unit
New alternator
New front brakes + right front caliper
New rear brakes + right rear wheel cylinder
Oil change 10/22 @ 186K - Mobil 1 full synthetic

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Terry I gotta say I really admire your willingness to try different rigs and fit what fits your needs & family vs what is cool.
What are your thoughts on the interior? Will you try for a sleep inside setup?

Cool van and we really need to get out on the dirt and play now that you are back on the left coast.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Lance!

We plan on having a rear bed, but whether it be a folding rear seat in front of an extension platform or a gaucho couch is to be decided. The realization that its only going to sleep 2 inside comfortably means either a pop top or connected external tent will be required. One of the sleeved Sportz tents is likely to be used until finances allow the pop-up unless I can find a good deal on an RV 4 or 5 Oz tent.
As for vehicle choice I figure the savings of the 4wd conversion alone will pay for the pop top. And since this is already 4wd I should be on the trail in about 2-3 weeks. It's the Suzuki Samurai theory in a van, less is more; Everything is smaller and therefore cheaper - 31's are cheaper than 35-37's. I don't need to buy a transfer case or big Dana 60 axle up front. No custom drive shaft. I can keep my stock rims for now because I'm not changing bolt patterns. It's all simpler and less expensive - and I think t-low proved it can be smaller and still cool. And I can always do a solid axle (again, smaller, cheaper axles) if I want to go bigger later with 255/85's

I wonder if this would handle Broken Arrow with 31's...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nely

Adventurer
Congrats on the van!! Looks like a good one. Ill be watchin the build. And lemme know if you need any help on that thing. I get plenty of astros in the shop and know the common issue on them.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Looks to be in good shape. I'm starting to prefer my astro over my jeep:ylsmoke: I think you made a good choice. What year is it?

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Looks to be in good shape. I'm starting to prefer my astro over my jeep:ylsmoke: I think you made a good choice. What year is it?

Its a 1996, and updated the original post to provide the info for future interest. I already like the Astro better than the E350, it just seems to be the perfect size vehicle. I think I can more confidently take it off road without the fear of damage due to not fitting where I want to go, and it sure drives and parks easier in tight urban areas. While it will never be a crawler, neither would the big van, so I'm just farther along for the same money because its already AWD/4x4 without the big conversion.
Call me insane (wife already does) but I may keep a separate t-case setup for winter than the other 3 seasons; I fell in love with AWD in Virginia with the LX450 in the snow, nothing could possibly work better. Then have the 2 speed S10 t-case setup for the rest of the year on the actual trails. It doesn't seem unreasonable to spend an afternoon swapping for the right setup when snow season hits, the kids want to learn to snowboard and this would be perfect for the weekend mountain getaways in winter. Once the cross member is modded and the other drive shaft is built would it be that difficult to go back & forth for those that have done it?

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Dang, someone forgot to tell me.

Note: Van was stock, had 325k miles and lost 2.5 gallons of fuel capacity.

nice, and had I paid $250 for mine I would beat on it as well - but I'm going with Herbie and following T-Lows lead on this one. I'm envisioning a west coast top to bottom Astro Expo tour next year; who's with me?

ihatemybike

Explorer
Have you seen LiftedAWDAstro's rock rails? He's built a few sets and put the plans for them on AstroSafariVans.org.

He also built and made available plans for an engine/transmission skid plate.

West Coast top to bottom, with other Expo Astros? Hmmm, I might have to throw my hat in the ring for that.

I was thinking about suggesting a Ouray, CO or Moab, UT trip myself.

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I'm envisioning a west coast top to bottom Astro Expo tour next year; who's with me?

My Midland CB works really well, or will this be the push I need to make time to get my HAM?

Keep in mind, my house is at the top (I can see Canada from my house:Wow1:--best Sarah Palin voice--and it's true!). And right off I-5 (can see that too).

Long distance travelers can meet at my house, regroup, freshen up etc, than we can take the unbelievably gorgeous mtn pass Hwy 20 over to Winthrop and jump on the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route and head south to La Paz, ferry over to Mazatlan and finish up at Sayulita Trailer Park. That's been a day dream of mine for a few years now...every single day...

And because everybody gets sponshorship these days, our best potential sponsors could be Overland Vans, of course, GTRV, and http://astrosafarivans.org/bb2/index.php

Did I get a little ahead of myself?

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Keep in mind, my house is at the top (I can see Canada from my house:Wow1:--best Sarah Palin voice--and it's true!). And right off I-5 (can see that too).[/url]

My house is pretty close to the bottom. Can't quite see Mexico from my house, but I can see it from the mountain a couple of blocks over... on a clear day.

OK, there's the endpoints. :) :wings:

EDIT: RK, I forgot to add this: Maybe you're a candidate to try the NP236 swap! I did a little research, and it does seem like it should fit and be doable, but you'd have to be willing to tackle the electronics (although shouldn't be too different electronics-wise from an NP233 swap). The NP 236 should get you Electronic AWD plus a 2HI/4HI/4LO range.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Nice!
Although this will be the last time I visit this thread... :sombrero:
I don't need anymore temptation to sell a vehicle and start a new one, especially since these Astros are so neat!
:drool:

ihatemybike

Explorer
The 1996's computer doesn't have the ability to control the electric AWD. Not sure if a 1999 ECU (first year with ECU controlled AWD) would run a 1996, Car-Part.com doesn't show that's it able to swap into a 1996.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles