Smittybuilt Element Ramps

aleks77

My first time out with the Smittybuilt and 1/3 of it cracked right off, also broke a lot of the nubs off...was stuck in snow, surprised it happend on the very first attemp :(

zscott

Adventurer
Smitty Built

I havent used these for bridging or anything that puts to much stress on them but they saved my butt a week ago when my wife and I went out for leisure drive that put us on a trail that had been washed out due to the heavy amounts of rain. My tires were not suited for mud in the slightest and the trail was about as wide as the truck. The bank was constantly giving away and I had my wife drive as I walked along side sticking the Element ramps in until we got to where the road was more stable. I certainly am glad I spent the money on them and have high expectations for them in the future.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
I have these ramps - for the price, they're great.

DSCN6437_zpsb196cf37.jpg

A few notes:

- My vehicle weighs less than 5K pounds, fully loaded.
- They were used in some pretty deep sand, and then in mud.
- Have not needed to use them as a bridge (yet!)

I've heard of them cracking and breaking, but if they're going to be used as a light-duty "save my butt" tool, especially with a lighter vehicle, they're perfect.

If a heavy-duty traction ramp is needed with a heavier vehicle, over a long-term and very challenging trip, I'd go for the MaxTrax.

Ex Jay

Observer
With smitty built you get what you pay for. Every product ive seen of theirs uses lower quality materials, coatings and mounting points in order to cut costs. The traction aids will probably be just fine since even a cruddy plastic will likely do the job at least once. However I'd rather bury a log then try the pull-pal knock off.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Would love to go with Smittybuilt at half the price but lots of folks talking about how they snap when used. So I ended up going with the proven Maxtrax.

4x4BNB

Adventurer
I bought the heavy duty "bridging ladders" from American grading 12" x 60". They were a couple hundred and can support my van's weight but....they are heavy!!!

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
How do the Smittybilt units hold up to HEAVY, fullsize diesel powered trucks?

I wouldn't recommend them. Like I said, mine hold up fine for my lightweight Xterra, but I think the MaxTrax would be better for a full-size vehicle.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
i have the Element Ramps and they have paid off out in the dunes. only issue i have is that if you do any tire spins on them, they tend to wear them down and break the knobbies off. a buddy of mine borrowed them to go help a stuck ford who was an idiot and kept doing burn outs on my pads. i didnt know at the time but it started to wear down really quick. it looks like they are made of a mix of fiberglass and plastic but i could be wrong.

anyone know if the maxtrax are made of 100% plastic or a mix. has anyone worn the knobbies down?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior