Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Warn Industries Supports Expedition Portal

Quote Originally Posted by 4xdog View Post
    Could you explain a bit about the value of contactor control v solenoids?
    Also interested in understanding the differences. Trying pick between the 9.5ti and 9.5cti.
    2011 JK Rubicon: AEV DualSport XT Suspension 2.5 -w- Geometry Brackets | AEV ProCal | AEV Savarge Wheels -w- BFG KM2s | AEV Rear Corner Guards | AEV JK Premium Front Bumper, Winch Mount & Front Skidplate | AEV Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier | ACE Engineering Rock Sliders | Safari Straps | sPod | Rigid Dually LED Back-up Lights | River Raider Aluminum Skid System | River Raider Aluminum Evap Skid | Marathon Superhides Seat Covers | RockNob Timpanogos Shifter Knobs | M-416 Trailer

Also very interested in the VR series winch for my car trailer. I was considering other brands until I saw the VR winches. I am a die hard Warn Fan and would prefer them over any other brand. I know what I put my old M12000 through and trust the Warn brand to get me home safe.
    My truck build-up ---> 2010 Dodge Cummins 3/4 Ton Crew Cab

My M101-A2 build up ---> Camping utility trailer

Default Thanks WARN!

I think everyone who has ever ventured into the dirt can thank WARN for saving them at one time or another. So THANKS WARN for all the pulls when we needed you and big time thanks for supporting our forum and our expo family!

Quote Originally Posted by 4xdog View Post
    Thanks for the support, Warn. I'm interested in the M series and VR series differences -- I was planning an M8000 for my Tacoma, but this new line is possibly an option.

Could you explain a bit about the value of contactor control v solenoids?

And thanks for the strong commitment to US manufacturing -- it's important to this buyer, because it's often a strong indication of quality. Of all the operations you noted in your earlier post that are US-based on the VR series, you didn't note "manufacturing". Is this series assembled from US or imported parts? If imported, can you tell us where from?
    The WARN VR series winches are not simply bought in China, adorned with a WARN W, and put on shelves. We do source some of the parts from a number of suppliers, we also make some of the parts in-house in Clackamas, OR. The final point of assembly is Clackamas, OR. These winches are on our Oregon assembly lines right now.

To answer the earlier question about solenoids vs. contactors: Since the 1950s, we've been using solenoids. However, there has been a gradual shift to contactor control at WARN. (The PowerPlant has had one since its 2007 introduction, as have our RT/XT powersports winches). The contactors tend to have a longer lifespan, but do cost more when they need replacing. Maintaining solenoid control is one way we've been able to keep the cost of the VR down.

One final note: The VR winches undergo the same same testing practices as our other truck winches, and are covered by the same Limited Lifetime Warranty as our other winches. If they aren't good products, we not going to put our name on them.

Hopefully this answers some questions.

- Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Warn Industries View Post
    We're glad to be able to further sponsor this great forum!
    Warn, thanks for sponsoring! I bought a set of your Premium Manual Hubs for my Scout II recently (undergoing 4X4 manual tranny conversion and restoration).
    2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), silver w/black top auto 4WD - Tow Truck

2006 Forest River Surveyor SV160T hybrid travel trailer

I have the Warn Powerplant. After several light uses over a year period, the thermal sensor went bad. It left my buddy in a real fix, his rig being inverted. We got the rigging configured, pushed the button and nothing.

Apparently the thermal sensor was a very common problem with the early powerplants. Warn even has a "kit" with instructions to fix it. They quickly sold me the new sensor, so now my $1500 winch works properly.
    My Jeep

Taj-Mah-Al 6x10-Cargo-Trailer

Proud member of the Appalachian Ridgerunner Supreme Expedition Squad A.R.S.E.S.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericaOverland View Post
    Scout II recently (undergoing 4X4 manual tranny conversion and restoration).
    any build pics
    The Adventure starts here.......
    http://www.youtube.com/user/beast12101

Quote Originally Posted by beast1210 View Post
    any build pics
    Heh...

Probably not. Pics will be available after I pick it up.
    2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), silver w/black top auto 4WD - Tow Truck

2006 Forest River Surveyor SV160T hybrid travel trailer

Redline is offline Overland Training Alumni
    Expedition Portal Moderator
    Likes to Drive and Ride
    The M8000 is such a value. I've used mine a few times and it just works.

With the current $80.00 mail-in rebate, a new M8000 can be had for about $460.00, quite a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankspinz View Post
    Thanks Warn for helping to make this Forum possible !

I hope to put my M8000 to the test this summer !

I absolutelnty love my 8274. The line speed gets me in trouble sometimes cuz of the speed. I eventually want to double up the motor.
    87 burban 3/4 ton
    4 inch lify
    315/75r16 Procomp extreme AT
    D44 FRT 4.56 Gears
    14 Bolt full floating with 4.56 gears and Detroit locker
    4 speed muncie
    custom safari rack with 5 KC forward and 2 in the rear
    warn bumper with 8274 winch
    Palomar 21cb

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast