Very Good Coolers - YETI

jim65wagon

We discussed for quite a while the merits of a cooler versus a fridge. Yes the fridge is ultra-cool. Yes you always have to buy ice (with a Yeti that's only once a week though) with a cooler. Fridge is expensive, cooler is cheaper.....blah, blah, blah.

The deciding factor for us was our camping style. We basecamp and there are many, many campsites in the forest as well as on the beach that the truck is a bit (sometimes 50 feet, sometimes 50 yards, when the surf is high at Cape lookout it can be a 1/4 mile) away from the camp. The cooler is easily transportable to the site, and able to be left there without finding a way to plug it back into a battery source.

Yeti coolers rock!

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
LOL, In my mind it sounded like 'Ka-shoos-ko', and that's how I read it. I couldn't figure out what a small Texas town with a well-known dance hall had to do with freakin' YETI Coolers. My brain fart for the day, I guess.

RWolf

I have a 50qt & a 15qt yeti coolers, There are awesome. I would like to get a fridge as well. But you can't move the frig from one truck to another one quick & easy. Also I use the 15qt sa a lunch box sometimes.
It has already been said, but I use mine for game also.

jjstahl3

Explorer
So for those who own them are they actually "alot" better then a coleman cooler - from the reviews I read some people claim they are not any better then their colemans?

So for those who own them are they actually "alot" better then a coleman cooler - from the reviews I read some people claim they are not any better then their colemans?

My 25qt Yeti is significantly better than my 28 qt Coleman (not even in the same ball park). The Yeti is a good bit better than my 52qt Coleman steel belted cooler. I have not used a Coleman Extreme cooler before, I think that would be the only fair comparison.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

As I had mentioned in my original post; my 85qt Yeti used less ice than my small igloo picnic basket cooler did. With gas now running at nearly $4 a gallon, I don't want to run and get ice every day or even every two days. As for cost; when one buys a fridge, it costs more up front and usually people have to think about adding a second battery for dry camping the fridge. Now add the cost of a second battery, maintaining it and then take into account on how often one gets to go camping and a cooler makes sense. I thought the same as some of you about buying an expensive cooler but now that I have it and have used it, it beats a cheaper cooler hands down for convenience and value long term. Next outing is a 4 day trip in August. It all in what you want to best serve your needs while having fun.

Pete Wilson
Sasquatch Watch of Virginia
Alliance of Independent Bigfoot Researchers - AIBR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior