On Board Air

BAH

I just got my MV-50 last week, haven't used it to inflate my tires yet, but I used it on my X-Jack that I recieved the same day. Of course I had to try out my new toys, so I filled the jack by the exhaust until it just touched the frame then let the compressor do the rest. No problem, took about 10 min and front and rear tires were off the ground. Little pump didn't even miss a beat.

Attachments

• IMG00068-20110503-1553.jpg
    IMG00068-20110503-1553.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 27

lovetoski

Observer
I have an MV50, has served me reliably for 3+ years. (I use it only 5 - 10 times per year). One thing I've discovered though is that it works MUCH better if you have then engine running - that is, like many electrical devices, the output improves when voltage is higher. Battery only = 12.5 volts, whereas with the engine running it's more like 14.5. The compressor runs noticeably faster, and my tires get aired up quicker, and the pump doesn't seem to get as hot.

Ric

Adventurer
Heres my .02, Ive had the MV50, Extreme Outback, CO2, Oasis, and ARB compressor.

Remember Im in the Denver area, wheel in the mountains, at altitude.
So heres my personal review of the compressors that Ive personaly used.

MV50:
extreamly/painfully slow, I used this about 4 runs, then it died..
Slow is not always a bad thing, it gives you time to socialize with friends, it is bad, when its real cold and raining and you want to fill up fast.
I paid $25 for mine, lasted about 4 runs then would keep blowing the fuse.

Extreme Outback:
If I remember, this was a little faster, but still pretty slow here in the mountains, its bigger than the MV50 but worked, and after a few VERY cold runs, trying to fill up in the sleet and freezing rain, I wanted something faster.

CO2:
This was the fastest one out of all that Ive tried when filling tires. It does run out though,lol I had a 20# tank, that was much bigger, but lots fater to fill up. Depending on where you live it can get spendy filling the bottle, I would go through a bottle about every 2 months, and started looking for something that was fast, and that I wouldnt have to refill every few months.

OASIS:
If you have the room to mount this bad boy, IMHO its best, fill VERY fast, very strong, but, its huge, and has to be mounted upright, and get very hot, these are so expensive.

ARB:
Now Im running an ARB (ckma12) to a 2G tank, and a gauge in the cab, this is not, the fastest, but its small and you can mount this thing just about anywhere.
Ive got the tank mounted in the cargo area, with plans to mount a couple bigger tanks where the stock spare goes. With a fill tank airing up doesnt take long at all, untill the tank is empty, lol but I never run out of air, and is used to stock the camp fire :victory:

In the end, out of all the compressors Ive used, Im happry with the ARB, for its size, power, easy of mounting locations, never having to worry if I have enough air.
I have been looking into a small CO2 set up, maybe a 10# tank just incase something happens to the ARB, I doubt it will, but would be nice to have a back-up, lol

Heres a Review if it hasnt already been posted: http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodreview/inflatortest/inflatormain.htm

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I don't know what vehicle you drive but in my mind a converted York long stroke A/C compressor is the best way to go. Variable output via engine rpm, you will always have plenty of air not tanks to leak down and under $100 if you source the parts and do the work yourself.
For my application and my vehicle it is the best choice IMHO.
You may want to look into one of those setups before you buy.
Darrell

Agreed! This is the best set-up if you need frequent, fast and voluminous amounts of compressed air. This is especially cost effective if you can fab the bracket yourself for either the York or a Sanden.

Believe me I loved the super fast tire fills of CO2 via my 10# PowerTank. But CO2 refills are now $22 and usually two trips/2-day turnaround. But I have zero regrets about my Sanden!

Ric

Adventurer
Agreed! This is the best set-up if you need frequent, fast and voluminous amounts of compressed air. This is especially cost effective if you can fab the bracket yourself for either the York or a Sanden.

Believe me I loved the super fast tire fills of CO2 via my 10# PowerTank. But CO2 refills are now $22 and usually two trips/2-day turnaround. But I have zero regrets about my Sanden!

Ive looked into the Yorks, but dont you lose your A/C going that route ? Im probley wrong, lol
I know on the 4runners no one made brakets for it, and I thought you lost A/C with it, or I would have tried that also :smiley_drive:
Oh, and CO2 fill ups here in Denver are $12 for a 20# tank Red Comet :victory:

theksmith

Explorer
Ive looked into the Yorks, but dont you lose your A/C going that route ? Im probley wrong, lol
I know on the 4runners no one made brakets for it, and I thought you lost A/C with it, or I would have tried that also :smiley_drive:

there's different options, some people on trails rigs convert there existing A/C to OBA (loosing A/C). for Wranglers there are commercial brackets available to add a York or your own Sanded A/C based compressor without removing your A/C. mainly depends on vehicle and engine and your fab skills.

i would have loved to have engine powered air on my WJ, but with the V8 and all the existing accessories there's really not room. i didn't do CO2 because i really just didn't want yet another thing to deal with on a recurring basis. Currently the DC-7500 12v that i have and the 5 gallon air tank are working quite well.

to the OP, if you do go 12v air, check out this info: http://www.hornwhistleboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1131

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier