2low231

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Anyone ever installed or used the terra2lo kit for the NP231? I'm toying with the idea b/c I want 2 low rwd only option. How do you like it it? Is it hard to engage or "find" 2 low? The best price I've found is ~$150, anyone know of a better deal?

jerdog53

Explorer
Why not install the twin stick kit? which would give you everything you are looking for with out breaking the case in half. I have not looked into it but it has to be a hole lot more cost efficent.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
jerdog53 said:
Why not install the twin stick kit? which would give you everything you are looking for with out breaking the case in half. I have not looked into it but it has to be a hole lot more cost efficent.

Who makes a twin stick kit for a 231?

jerdog53

Explorer
Apperently I am all wet as I am unable to come up with a twin stick for the 231. I must have been thinking of the dana 300 the NP 205 the Dana 18 and 20 and the Atlas T-cases.

:oops:

stomperxj

Explorer
BigAl said:
Anyone ever installed or used the terra2lo kit for the NP231? I'm toying with the idea b/c I want 2 low rwd only option. How do you like it it? Is it hard to engage or "find" 2 low? The best price I've found is ~$150, anyone know of a better deal?

Where did you find it for $150? I'm going to be getting one soon...

BigAl

Expedition Leader
jerdog53 said:
Apperently I am all wet as I am unable to come up with a twin stick for the 231. I must have been thinking of the dana 300 the NP 205 the Dana 18 and 20 and the Atlas T-cases.

:oops:
I can't find one either, wish I could:(

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
I've had the 2lo in my 231 for a couple of years. It has come in handy on more than one occasion, and am glad that I have the option available to me.

Installation is pretty easy, especially if you are installing it at the same time as an SYE.

I've never had problems shifting into 2lo......and you are able to shift between 4lo and 2lo on the fly just like 2hi and 4 hi. Just make sure you adjust your linkage correctly after the install.

DC4WD also has it for $150 shipped, which is the best price I have been able to find lately.

HTH

wADVr

Adventurer
While I dont personally have one, severeral of my friends have them and say they are one of the best mods they have done. Its pretty amazing how little you need to use 4wd.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
BigAl said:

Loved mine, invaluable in the Moab-esque wheeling areas when coupled with a front, non-selectable locker.

Try dc4wd.com

You'll need to call as he doesnt have the price posted, and it will most likely be the best around.

No trouble finding 2wd low, just all the way back.

Here is a pic of an install on a former XJer's Jeep.
tera.jpg

100_0464.jpg

100_0463.jpg

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
My Terra-2Low kit has been one of the best mods I've ever done, and was utterely invaluable on my recent trip to Moab. It's also really handy on tight trails like we have here in the NW, allowing much greater steering angle to thread through trees.

As Intrepid mentioned, one really cool feature is you can shift in and out of 2- and 4-low on the fly, so the whole process is really seamless. I do find myself running the trails more and more in 2-low, and it becomes a challenge to see how far I can get that way.

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
JPFreek1 said:
Matt, good to see you on the board...welcome!!
Yeah, thought I'd jump on the band wagon. After looking around for a few minutes, I've been pretty impressed.

-----Matt-----

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Happy with the Tera 2Lo

I put one in my ol 88' YJ. I ran Detroits in the front and rear axles and really had issues attempting (just it never really did turn well locked up) to turn to the left (especially so). It took me about 3.5hrs to install (tossed in a new chain while I was at it). The shifting fork is not hard to install. It had a very close shifting pattern but I found it easy to toggle in an out of 4w low to 2w low. This proved to be really great on rock or high traction stuff that the tires could not scuff enough to avail me an easy turn. I would highly recommend this to someone who runs a lunch box locker in the front diff or like me -a Detroit. Sure beats the issues I have seen with air-selected add-on locker with there solenoids and air-lines. Great bang for the buck. I agree one of the best add-ons I did to that rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles