2007 & newer diesel powered vehicle fuel?

rblackwell

Adventurer
08 Duramax DPF delete

I know I have posted this before on this portal, but ...

2009/2010 my wife and I took our 2008 Duramax (provan Tiger) from alaska to ushaia argentina and return.

DPF delete before leaving.

Total of 60,000 miles at least 35,000 of which as on central and south american fuel.
Absolutely no ULSD (though some EuroIII).

Restored the DPF on return.
Worked like a charm.
There is a shop in CA that does the same thing for Ford 6.0 and 6.4 vehicles used outside the US by mining companies.
Rob

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I know I have posted this before on this portal, but ...

2009/2010 my wife and I took our 2008 Duramax (provan Tiger) from alaska to ushaia argentina and return.

DPF delete before leaving.

Total of 60,000 miles at least 35,000 of which as on central and south american fuel.
Absolutely no ULSD (though some EuroIII).

Restored the DPF on return.
Worked like a charm.
There is a shop in CA that does the same thing for Ford 6.0 and 6.4 vehicles used outside the US by mining companies.
Rob

That is good to know. At least there are "ways" around the fuel issue. Even though I said earlier in the thread that both of my trucks will run on anything resembling diesel, I would still remove the cat on my 07 Chevy if I were to head south of the border on an extended trip. Like others, I understand the motor doesn't care, but the emissions stuff does care what diesel is used.

Jack

1stDeuce

Explorer
Jack, your '07 "Classic" could give a crap what fuel you put in it. It was designed to run on LSD, so the cat should really be fine with any diesel you can find. That said, I ended up gutting the cat on my '06 because it seemed to be partially plugged. I think it did a lot of cold idling before I got it, which I assume is the reason the cat plugged up. My truck seems to like used motor oil in small doses... I keep meaning to buy it some wall-mart two-stroke oil to see what it thinks of that now that I can't find any biodiesel mix close by... Gotta do something to lube the pump and injectors!
Chris

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Jack, your '07 "Classic" could give a crap what fuel you put in it. It was designed to run on LSD, so the cat should really be fine with any diesel you can find. That said, I ended up gutting the cat on my '06 because it seemed to be partially plugged. I think it did a lot of cold idling before I got it, which I assume is the reason the cat plugged up. My truck seems to like used motor oil in small doses... I keep meaning to buy it some wall-mart two-stroke oil to see what it thinks of that now that I can't find any biodiesel mix close by... Gotta do something to lube the pump and injectors!
Chris

I know the engine could give a crap, but when I was in Deadhorse, AK last year, I was able to fill my PSD up with LSD vs. ULSD. It was nice, but I don't know if the cat would like it so much if you were south of the border and maybe had to fill up on who knows what (more than a little used oil/tranny fluid, etc.) to get to the next real fuel stop. Again, I would do it just for the piece of mind.

I typically run the 2 stroke in my PSD, but my Max doesn't really seem to care if I add it or not. I might try again to see if I can notice any difference. I am starting to think more and more about setting up a filtering system for my waste motor oil. With four vehicles, plus having a house that is heated with heating oil, it is getting more and more tempting to put the used oil to good use.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne