Closer and Closer to Biting the Bullet on a KLR650

dox

I currently own a 2000 KLR650 with about 22k miles, and just recently sold my 2008 V-Strom.

The newer KLR's have very similar manners on-road as the previous generation, but as others have added, Kawasaki has added a lot of plastic bits and changed some things in the suspension.

For light off-road and mostly on-road, it's a good bike. Street, fire roads, mild two-track etc. are all perfect for the KLR. These things can also be done on a V-Strom, though it's a bit heavier and decidedly more street oriented.

Occasionally you'll catch a great deal on a KLR on advrider's Flea Market or Craigslist, just takes some time.

Red Zebra

Adventurer
Take your time and keep looking! I had an 03....sold it after a few years. Bought an 05 last year. It was very nicely farkled at a fair price. Be ready when the "right one" presents itself. I missed out on nearly a dozen KLRs, including two that I passed on(picked up some bad vibes from the seller) during my search last year. Bikes are like 4WDs...pick one that make you feel warm and tingly! For me it was the KLR that harkens back to some long ago memories riding klunky looking "rat-bikes" when I was growing up.

The best part about KLRs are the loyal fans and knowledge base and the extensive after market goodies/parts available. You can dress it up with Givi or an "appropriated" milk crate. The latter being the more fashionable wear for the frugal (read "cheap ***") KLR owner. :coffee:

Last year on the TAT in OK:

Attachments

• DSCF1387.JPG
    DSCF1387.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
If you look around there are some brand new never owned KLRs at the dealers. There was one 2009 that never sold at the dealer in Springville UT, they also had one 2010. So if you look around you can find them new, and obviously at great prices by now.

If you check on KSL.com go to the classifieds (near the top on the right), and then in the search (near the top center) you can type in KLR and they always have a lot of them on there, the site is super for looking at bikes too. You can at least get a better feel for what is out there...

jronwood

Adventurer
I am an old Yamaha guy and picked up a mint 87' XT600. They dont have the aftermarket goodies but you can find them $1500 or so. This is my 3rd one like this, Last one I sold 15 years ago for,....$1500.(it is the zebra striped one, had a White Bros engine)

Jronwood

Attachments

• phone 674.jpg
    phone 674.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • Bikes.jpg
    Bikes.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 13
  • phone 673.jpg
    phone 673.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

sandalscout

Adventurer
Nice XT! I love my Yamaha, and I really wish they sold a 650-class bike in the US still (The newer XT660z is AWESOME). The more I think about them, and occasionally see them for sale, I think I may "settle" for an older XT600.

goulou67

klr owner for life

i've owned two klr's since i was a teenager there practically bullet proof ,there is a lot of trash talk on other bike forums about the klr's being a under powered and cheap bike ,but that's just bmw owner's kickin their ******** because they paid to much money for an overpriced piece of ****!!!!! go ahead and buy whathever year klr you want, because you can't go wrong ,the bike practically never changed since it's introduction same ,motor same everything! but the plastics changed that's it!!!!! take it from somebody that's been diggin around klr's for a good while :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles