Sure Power Battery Separator/Interconnect Model 1314-200

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
The Sure Power Battery Separator/Interconnect Model 1314-200 has been discussed on ExPo a few times, but every time I try and find information it's a bit of a challenge so I figured why not start a thread dedicated to this neat little unit.

I've just received mine last week and have been trying to figure out the best mounting location for it. I know that Scott has it mounted inside his aluminum box but I don't have this option. I found a perfect place on the fire wall up high to the right and close to my second battery where my current fuse panel is mounted as can be seen here:

DSC03775.jpg

Then last night when reading the installation instructions I read this: "Do not mount in direct engine heat.". Great, there goes my plan. :oops: So my question is where did the folks with this unit mount it? What adverse effect would it have on the unit if I were to mount it in the engine bay? I'm thinking shortened life span perhaps. I've e-mailed Sure Power and will post their response.

The other question I had, is would you put an in-line fuse or circuit breaker between the unit and aux. battery or main battery?

Cheers :beer:,
P

teotwaki

Excelsior!
put it on the other side like this, near the primary battery
800seperator.jpg

and run big low-loss cables to the secondary battery

shawkins

Adventurer
How much do those things cost?

Sure Power is about 10 minutes away from my house, I wounder if they would sell me one if I went there.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Sure Power

teotwaki said:
put it on the other side like this, near the primary battery

Thanks for the picture. Unfortunately, I don't have the same space available as you do in that location. See this picture:

DSC02336.jpg

So have you had any issues with engine heat affecting the operation of the unit? How long have you had it installed?

P

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Cost

shawkins said:
How much do those things cost?

Sure Power is about 10 minutes away from my house, I wounder if they would sell me one if I went there.

Total cost including shipping was $172 for mine but it's travelled all over the US and Canada before it came to me! I'd like to know what you guys are paying for the unit as well.

P

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Sure Power's reply.

I guess the engine compartment it will be! Now time to select the proper wire size. According to Sure Power's instructions, 4 Ga should be adequate. My wires won't be longer than 6 feet long.

Here was my e-mail to Sure Power Tech Support:

Hello,
I just purchased a The Sure Power Battery Separator/Interconnect Model
1314-200 for use in my Toyota Tacoma truck for my aux. battery. I was
planning on mounting it close to my aux battery under the hood but
noticed that your instructions say: "Do not mount in direct engine
heat.".
Could you explain what adverse effects this will have on the unit? I
don't really have another option for mounting location at this time but
don't want to install it there if the unit will fail prematurely due to
engine heat.
Thanks,
P

And their response:
Tech Support <TechSupport@surepower.com>
Sent : June 6, 2007 11:53:43 AM
Subject : Re: Sure Power Battery Separator/Interconnect Model 1314-200

Engine compartment area is fine close to the main battery ,just do not
mount it up close to something that is extremely hot like exhaust
manifold , radiator etc.. It needs to have some type of air
circulation.

They were also nice enough to provide some technical specs on the units see the attached files.

*Edit: The tech file is too large!* I'll see what I can do to post it. Thanks to Scott we are in business! Thank you sir.

P

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
p1michaud said:
Thanks for the picture. Unfortunately, I don't have the same space available as you do in that location.

So have you had any issues with engine heat affecting the operation of the unit? How long have you had it installed?

P

it is a friend's installation but he has had it in for more than a year without issue.

I have a manually controlled solenoid. See my pix here

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4224

The solenoid is located on the right side of the battery, a reasonable distance above the engine exhaust manifold.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Here is where I mounted mine. It's been in for about 4-5 months now with no problems. I like the unit.

BatterySeparator.jpg

Where I routed dual battery cable along firewall:

WireRouting.jpg

Battery2.jpg

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Mounting location.

Tucson T4R said:
Here is where I mounted mine. It's been in for about 4-5 months now with no problems. I like the unit.

Thanks for the pictures!

How do you guys fell about leaving the terminals exposed on the unit as shown in this picture?

BatterySeparator.jpg

I've been trying to track down some battery terminal type boots to cover those two exposed terminals something to the effect of the attached pic. The only place I've been able to find it is at www.waytekwire.com. Any other suggestions?

P

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I don't worry about them being exposed. Mine are exposed on my aux battery as well. I'm the only one under my hood so I'm not worried about someone shorting them out to ground.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
p1michaud said:
Thanks for the pictures!

How do you guys fell about leaving the terminals exposed on the unit as shown in this picture?

BatterySeparator.jpg

I've been trying to track down some battery terminal type boots to cover those two exposed terminals something to the effect of the attached pic. The only place I've been able to find it is at www.waytekwire.com. Any other suggestions?

P

Did you check out my photos? See if Wrangler sells the ones I have on my solenoid.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Exposed terminals

teotwaki said:
Did you check out my photos? See if Wrangler sells the ones I have on my solenoid.

Yes, I did see your pictures. I don't want to come off sounding snooty but your terminals are still exposed. I'd like something that covers the stud and nut as well. Similar to what you would have covering your battery terminals.
I'll check Wrangler site out.
Cheers,
P

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
Exposed battery terminals are bad ju-ju. Not that I've ever snaked a new wire for a hood release from the passenger compartment of a 1947 Dodge and had the wire lay across both battery terminals, thereby causing sparks and a very hot wire...nope, un-uh not me

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Nuclear Redneck said:
Exposed battery terminals are bad ju-ju. Not that I've ever snaked a new wire for a hood release from the passenger compartment of a 1947 Dodge and had the wire lay across both battery terminals, thereby causing sparks and a very hot wire...nope, un-uh not me

That's called arc welding. :shakin:

:jump:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles