Need to have a trailer built, need advice.

boznian2

It will be a dual-purpose rig much like 'The Swiss' [http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37964], and will be a 2 phase build. First the basic utility trailer, second the expo module. It will be used as a utility trailer to occasionally haul dirt, yard waste, limestone, rocks, mulch, etc. These items can have a fairly significant weight, so a 1-ton *load* capacity is my goal. For the Expo side of the coin, I intend to build a standalone unit that can slide in and be bolted to the trailer frame. Much like a truck camper slides into the pickup bed. My TV is a Jeep WK, more or less stock at the moment. We don't do rock crawling or heavy-duty offroad trails, the more moderate stuff is our thing. However, we do like to get far away from the crowd and much of it in the off-season, which is one reason why I am leaning towards the air suspension. (Carry a few spare parts in case something does break, and then hopefully not get stranded?)

Here are my trailer questions, issues and the areas I would appreciate advice on:

1) Suspension - independant air-ride or leaf spring or coil over or what?? (It's not that money is no object, but for the ride quality and ability to 'pump up' to handle utility loads, plus the reason above I am leaning toward air)
2) Design - I know the bed dimensions and shape that I am after, but what about supports, suspension mounting points, tongue length, axle placement, etc.? Does anybody have a design they would be willing to share or a good resource for planning? Anybody use Google sketchup for something like this?
3) Materials - from what I have read here and on other forums, 2x2 1/8 wall seems to be the standard, right? Where to get it? What should I expect to pay these days?
4) Builder - I have no metal fabrication experience or equipment, so the trailer portion will all have to be farmed out. I have done some preliminary contact with local shops who all say no problem. But from what I have read, fab'ing the swing arms for air susp. is not easy. Can these be bought anywhere?
5) Wheels and tires - it seems that most try to use the same wheel and tire size as the TV, as well as matching overall width to the TV, correct? Better tracking, one spare fits all?

[TRAILER] Interior bed dims 50" x 72", 12" side rails with a hinged, removeable 24" gate (so that it can lay flat when necessary to accept 4x8 sheets of whatever). [Tow vehicle] 9 foot wheelbase. P245/60R18 tires. Currently a 52" spacing between the tires - this will make it tough to have the trailer spacing match the Jeep. I may add some 1 1/2" spacers to the Jeep, this should be enough?

In addition to all the above, any guesses on what this might cost? (just the utility trailer portion, not worried about phase 2 right now.) Any sound, detailed responses much appreciated!! :wings:

TCcruzn

Observer
You may be way better off both in time and money to buy a common utility trailer with a tailgate, like landscapers use, for your weekend warrior duties around the house, and then buy an expedition trailer from one of premier outfits you read about here. From your questions and explanations you will not be fabbing this yourself and it doesn't sound like you will be engineering it either so you will spending alot of time and money to gain traction on the learning curve with a local welder. Why not use the design and engineering experience of a reputable expedition trailer manufacturer for the camping & overland application? On the other hand, when I could not find a trailer to do what I needed, I purchased a welder and a pile of steel and built my own. I know I could have done it cheaper but I learned a new trade, and now have 2 welders and trailer to show for it.
UnionReservoir2010006.jpg

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Here my .02 cents
  1. My trailer has 3,500 lbs running gear but only 2,000 lbs trailer springs. The trailer officially is rated at 2,499 lbs total weight, which gives it about 2,000 lbs of official payload. However, the suspension is a compromise. It works best with about 750 lbs to 1,250 lbs of payload and works well in the range of 400 lbs to 1,500 lbs payload. Less weight and it tends to bounce, more and the springs start looking "flat". If you want a suspension that rides well at light expo loads as well as 1 ton of gravel, I think airbags are the way to go. Real light duty leafs with airbag support might be another option. If you plan to regularly haul heavy loads, you also might start thinking about brakes for your trailer.
  2. Don't know
  3. Don't know
  4. Where are you located?
  5. Yes

Hope this helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior