Best Android Overlanding software?

tae73

Observer
Has anyone used "Maps with me lite" on the android platform. You can download entire state before heading out for offline use.

resurecting this thread.

UStopo map pro is awesome

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atlogis.northamerica&hl=en

very similar to BCN except no extra pay for maps
and onscreen items like customizable data fields for both nav mode and track mode.
i like knowing my time on target and having an odometer and aerial distance to next waypoint right on the screen.

one thing that BCN does better is letting you zoom past the base zoom level easily. in this one you have to adjust some scaling. only an issue on smaller screens but you can set it and forget it.

ustopo draws faster and my experience shows it maps better.

silversand

Observer
....I've been using the old MOBAC (v 1.8) for Google maps and terrain) and their newest version (not Alpha) v 1.9.16 mobile atlas creator for USGS national map base, USGS national map satellite, USGS national map satellite+, USGS national map topo and USGS national map vector...

...the USGS national map ** satellite+ ** appears to be using NAIP USDA (FSA) aerial photography (1-meter), and not "satellite" imagery. Hmmmm?

....anyhow, MOBAC creates great [cached] tiles in many, many output formats (for use n Android, i-products, etc, etc)...

MOBAC 1.8 used to feed in Google Earth imagery (probably the best imagery delivered for the civilian user out there: ~0.6 meter, updated very regularly), but they were nixed by GE (and about 11 other imagery sources).

Note: I always carry the latest paper maps as a back-up, and to keep in manual practice; and always carry 2 back-up digital nav aids :)

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I run BCN, Canadatopo and co pilot for nav on my tablet. For car travel, I use my nokia 1020 with here drive. its the best useage of any GPS I have ever used.

paddlenbike

Adventurer
I hate to think of how much money I have spent on GPS equipment for backcountry travel. I thought my last setup was okay, which consisted of a Dell Axim Windows-based PDA running the excellent-at-the-time Memory Map Navigator and a bluetooth iBlue GPS receiver, but the post-processing was pretty tedious. Our trip data was all stored in Memory Map in one of our Windows PCs, and when my wife and I got sick and tired of keeping all of our Windows-based computers running (Win 8 being the worst of them all), we dumped it all in favor of an iMac desktop, a Chromebox (for media), a Chromebook laptop and an Android tablet. Because we now had devices running on different operating systems, we wanted a GPS platform that worked with everything.

I can't say enough good things about Backcountry Navigator. I'm running it on a $170 Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" tablet, which is a good size in a compact SUV. The software is very easy to use and my post-processing time has dropped to almost nothing. These days I export my tracks to kmz or kml format and import them in "my maps" in Google Maps, that way I can see where I've been from any computer anywhere in the world, not to mention from any operating system.

DSC_0024.JPG

Additionally, we use CoPilot Live for on-road navigation. It's better than the nav systems in our two new cars and it updates for free.

Hope this helps.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I'm switching from MotionX running on a dedicated 1st gen iPAD with 64G to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 for in-car navigation- mainly because the iPAD is too big for a small SUV, it's slow by todays standards and no more updates to MotionX for the old OS- oh and the Tab4 was free :). I'm getting used to the UI of Android in general, I still prefer the iOS but any kind of a switch at first is a bit hard. I'm surprised though I had to go through 3 pages deep though to find this thread, the first 2 pages were iOS related, mostly- hope I won't regret the switch :)

So based on what I've read BCN seems to be the choice navigation software for backcountry navigation (pun intended)?

Two, what are my options for mounting the Tab4 to the dash or the windscreen? My current setup is similar to a laptop holder that attaches to one of the seat bracket bolts. I want the Tab4 to be tucked out of the way similar to paddlenbike's setup where my truck's interior is pretty much identical to his. My concern with these types of holders/mounts is blocking the AC vents. Would be great to see what others are using.

jk_surgeonfish

Observer
I'm switching from MotionX running on a dedicated 1st gen iPAD with 64G to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 for in-car navigation- mainly because the iPAD is too big for a small SUV, it's slow by todays standards and no more updates to MotionX for the old OS- oh and the Tab4 was free :). I'm getting used to the UI of Android in general, I still prefer the iOS but any kind of a switch at first is a bit hard. I'm surprised though I had to go through 3 pages deep though to find this thread, the first 2 pages were iOS related, mostly- hope I won't regret the switch :)

So based on what I've read BCN seems to be the choice navigation software for backcountry navigation (pun intended)?

Two, what are my options for mounting the Tab4 to the dash or the windscreen? My current setup is similar to a laptop holder that attaches to one of the seat bracket bolts. I want the Tab4 to be tucked out of the way similar to paddlenbike's setup where my truck's interior is pretty much identical to his. My concern with these types of holders/mounts is blocking the AC vents. Would be great to see what others are using.

I use the following: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJUE88U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 Arkon Windshield Dashboard Car Mount for iPad mini Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 3 Note Tab S Tab Pro 8.4 Nexus 7 and Midsize Tablets

It holds my Tab4 horizontally just fine in my Jeep XJ. I have never had it come out or off the window either. I have probably 300+ miles off-road with it so far and no issues.

Here is a vid of how I use BCN and shows how it is mounted in my XJ:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I use the following: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJUE88U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 Arkon Windshield Dashboard Car Mount for iPad mini Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 3 Note Tab S Tab Pro 8.4 Nexus 7 and Midsize Tablets

It holds my Tab4 horizontally just fine in my Jeep XJ. I have never had it come out or off the window either. I have probably 300+ miles off-road with it so far and no issues.

Here is a vid of how I use BCN and shows how it is mounted in my XJ:

I bought the exact same Arkon mount and it is fantastic. LOVE it, works amazingly well, holds my Dell Venue 7 firm and does not vibrate much if at all. I also use BCN for offroad tracks and nav and I picked up Sygic GPS for On Road turn by turn nav. It is great, was cheap (on sale) and has global maps.

Nice vid.

Oh and I also drive a Red XJ? Weird...

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys, nice video! I saw those too and noticed they had great reviews but in the end I ended up getting the RAM mount parts to bolt it right onto the dash. I've never had much luck with the suction cup mounts even the quality (Garmin and RAM) ones, must be something about the CA sun that makes them go bad after a couple of months and then they won't hold the weight.

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
Anybody use that Backcountry Navigator app up here in Canada, specifically BC and Alberta?

I'm thinking of grabbing a Lenovo 7" tablet for a nav system and am wondering if an app would work as well here in Canada as it would down in the US. Otherwise I'm thinking of buying the Backroad Mapbooks program on SD card and seeing if that will run on the tablet.

Anybody use that Backcountry Navigator app up here in Canada, specifically BC and Alberta?

I'm thinking of grabbing a Lenovo 7" tablet for a nav system and am wondering if an app would work as well here in Canada as it would down in the US. Otherwise I'm thinking of buying the Backroad Mapbooks program on SD card and seeing if that will run on the tablet.

Give my trails a shot.

great map selection even for canada.

free to try
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frogsparks.mytrails&hl=en

you need the pro key to cache more than 100 tiles tho. 100% worth the $2.38

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
Thanks! I've been playing around with it a bit on my phone. Looks pretty decent, other than alot of the sat images being years old, at least in my area. I'll have to give it a more in depth try on my next backcountry trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles