Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Android Overlanding software?

For those working this way, I have a few questions since I haven't put time into doing much experimentation.

My main questions are past the actual map data, and more into usability. There is much to do surrounding using the map software as a tool in a variety of phases- planning, live use while driving, editing, sharing, and presenting/exporting.

I kind of leave out "routes" which are usually a string of waypoints connected as straight lines, and rarely find a use for them unless turn-by-turn directions are needed. They have some other utility, but it seems more for trips where resources and time management are higher priorities.

How can/does the tool-

Create tracks, save, load?
    Create waypoints, save, load? Limitations on label length?
    Add labels and symbols (non-waypoint)? Build/import custom symbols?
    Save a "map?" (map is all user-added data- tracks,labels, waypoints, symbols)
    Edit maps? Removing sections of tracks, merging data from other maps, selecting groups of waypoints or groups of <any map element type> to delete
    Export maps to display formats (png/jpeg/tiff)
    Export maps to GPX/KML, etc?
    Import maps from other formats?
    Ease of on-screen (touch based) controls? Drawbacks? Can you add/customize only the controls you want?
    Night mode (think OziExplorer)?
    3D views?
    Layered views (topo/sat/custom)?
    Calculate altitude profiles for tracks?

I would like to consider the possibility of going away from Natl Geo TOPO! 7.5' / 24K maps, but there is a lot of functionality needed to make a shift I haven't noticed with the mobile apps. All the Android tablets out are very alluring. Maybe I can get Natl Geo to build an Android tablet app.

It is much more difficult lately to find a reasonably priced PC based tablet. At the current prices and display size/qualities, Androids don't need to be so ruggedized as losing one to elements isn't so much of a hit as a $3,000+ ruggedized PC version.
    Ken, TLCA#4408, Cascade Cruisers
    Toyotas- '64 FJ40, '66 FJ45, '79 FJ40, '85 XCab SR5 4x4 p/u, '89 HZJ62

The problem with Google maps, even cached si that if you deviate from your route even slightly it tries to recalculate and if you don't have signal, you are sunk. That being said, I find it the best overall navigation software available.

I also use:

My Tracks
    Gas Buddy (really can help you save money.) - Gas Buddy Website can help you plan your trip (highway) telling you where to stop for gas to save money.
    Aviation Weather apps for detailed weather information
    Camera - for breadcrumb like trackingnset t
    Sundroid - sunrise/sunset timesse a ton specificially for o
    Goggles (if you have cell signal) to identify plants, trees, other stuff
    Google Sky
    Flashlight

I have downloaded but not tried an inclometer app as well.

I also use a ton specifically for photography.
    Website | Twitter | SPOT

2011 JKU Sahara
    AEV 2.5" Lift | Gobi Stealth Rack | BF Goodrich MT's 255 75R 17

JK Build Thread
    M416 Build Thread

Your 'other' thread, which I replied to. Before I saw this one (today):

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...g-Android-apps

Not that it matters as it seems I've replied here too a while back

i know its old, but i have the same phone (evo shift), and was wondering if anyone ever tryed GPS Gride Reference? it says you can download and save maps for offline use, but havent tryed. i got the app b/c it displys corrordinates in the same formate that the Army uses (usefull durring field training, tho havent tryed its usefullness overseas..). included in the app is a compass, the gps posistion display, plus a map overlay. havent figured out how to do waypoints on it yet.
    NICK ~ CrazyEyeZ

2005 GMC Canyon Z71 4x4 crewcab < 355Nation.net >
    -2" lift shackles and AAL's, TB's cranked, Rancho shocks, 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler Trailmark
    -roof rack, 24v LED flood and spot lights, 2x 4ft FireSticks, Cobra 29 classic w/weather
    -custom HD bullbar with 4 130w KC DayLighters

Maybe I did something wrong, but I recently purchased the Backcoutry Navigator app, and It worked great as long as I had internet. I spent a weekmup in Utah and got nothing but a grey screen. Nothing without internet. Help?

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman78 View Post
    Maybe I did something wrong, but I recently purchased the Backcoutry Navigator app, and It worked great as long as I had internet. I spent a weekmup in Utah and got nothing but a grey screen. Nothing without internet. Help?
    You said it "Nothing without Intenet". BN uses on line map sources. Check their web site to see if you can pre-cache map data.
    http://www.tandemhearts.com/
    You can't jump the track,we're like cars on a cable
    and life's like an hourglass, glued to the table
    No one can find the rewind button

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman78 View Post
    BCN will automatically download maps if you are online. If you scroll around to where you will be offline it will 'cache' those maps. A better way is to use the built-in 'download' feature that allows you to select large areas of a map and download them before going offline. Click the down arrow (upper right), then select 'Maps' on the popup menu and the 'Select areas for download' and you can draw a big giant box to download. The developer for this app is VERY helpful - if you have any questions and the online help doesn't...help...email him and he'll get back to you really quick.

An even better way if you want to download on your computer is to use Mobile Atlas Creator and download via that, then transfer to your phone. I don't have good instructions for this, but you can google them.

Backcountry Navigator is awesome. With my Android phone, it has replaced my standard GPS.

For free maps, I use osmand http://osmand.net/ Its based on openstreetmap.

A lot of my local MTB trails are already on there, so its quite useful for me.
    Sven
    97 D1

I saw this the other day.. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....overland.free

Seems the right tool for the job. Offline google maps that work without online access, 10 million (they say) comprehensive waypoints database of every imaginable overland-related places (campings , embassies, etc ) . Fuel calculator , SPOT publishing , and a news forwarding system that sends you the most important news headlines happending around your position ! .
    One think that caught my eye is that you can download/upload tracks to the device over the air ,so no need to carry a cable and software around .

Not sure if it is fully free or just a demo ,but so far , I have downloaded and use it , so It could very well be free indeed

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast