Best Android Overlanding software?

ThomD

Explorer
Maybe I did something wrong, but I recently purchased the Backcoutry Navigator app, and It worked great as long as I had internet. I spent a weekmup in Utah and got nothing but a grey screen. Nothing without internet. Help?

You said it "Nothing without Intenet". BN uses on line map sources. Check their web site to see if you can pre-cache map data.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Maybe I did something wrong, but I recently purchased the Backcoutry Navigator app, and It worked great as long as I had internet. I spent a weekmup in Utah and got nothing but a grey screen. Nothing without internet. Help?

BCN will automatically download maps if you are online. If you scroll around to where you will be offline it will 'cache' those maps. A better way is to use the built-in 'download' feature that allows you to select large areas of a map and download them before going offline. Click the down arrow (upper right), then select 'Maps' on the popup menu and the 'Select areas for download' and you can draw a big giant box to download. The developer for this app is VERY helpful - if you have any questions and the online help doesn't...help...email him and he'll get back to you really quick.

An even better way if you want to download on your computer is to use Mobile Atlas Creator and download via that, then transfer to your phone. I don't have good instructions for this, but you can google them.

jcarrion

I saw this the other day.. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simvex.overland.free

Seems the right tool for the job. Offline google maps that work without online access, 10 million (they say) comprehensive waypoints database of every imaginable overland-related places (campings , embassies, etc ) . Fuel calculator , SPOT publishing , and a news forwarding system that sends you the most important news headlines happending around your position ! .
One think that caught my eye is that you can download/upload tracks to the device over the air ,so no need to carry a cable and software around .

Not sure if it is fully free or just a demo ,but so far , I have downloaded and use it , so It could very well be free indeed ;)

JKJenn

Adventurer
I saw this the other day.. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simvex.overland.free

Seems the right tool for the job. Offline google maps that work without online access, 10 million (they say) comprehensive waypoints database of every imaginable overland-related places (campings , embassies, etc ) . Fuel calculator , SPOT publishing , and a news forwarding system that sends you the most important news headlines happending around your position ! .
One think that caught my eye is that you can download/upload tracks to the device over the air ,so no need to carry a cable and software around .

Not sure if it is fully free or just a demo ,but so far , I have downloaded and use it , so It could very well be free indeed ;)

Looks awesome! thanks for sharing.

Sawyer

Adventurer

Thanks for the link. Always good to have options. I gave it a whirl and decided to uninstall it. I prefer BC Navigator. I found it a little difficult to figure out and didnt really feel like spending the time when I am happy with another program. But, I am happy to see more options...

equip2survive

The best I've seen is locus free maps. Pre cache, vector, waypoints, times, distance, guidance, tracks dont know what else but its awsome

AZXterra410

Question about Back country Navigator. I just purchased the pro version and am wondering if any of the upgraded maps are worth purchasing. The topo maps that come with it seem great.

Saratoga

Adventurer
How about MM Tracker for Android? It can use 'Memory Map' tiles and output to a GPX format. I tried it on my Motorola Defy and it truly is excellent :)

Just need bigger real-estate screen for my next 4x4 ;)

Seems mmtracker isn't available anymore after memory map the company complained :-(

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Doesn't anyone know how to use a map and compass anymore.

I know! And really why dont people do calculus by hand, or use pots and strings to communicate? I am perfectly comfortable using a map and compass (we're required to be qualified for SAR) but technology certainly makes it easier :) over labor day weekwnd i did a 4 mile 6 hr bushwack through lava fields, trees, and into an extinct volcano... Given visibility was maybe 100 yards, Map and compass would have taken me significantly longer and would have put me in probably more than one dangerous situation. Plus having a gps allowed me to pull up sat photos to find clearest route, visualize the topography, pick the most efficient route, etc. Map and compass is like doing long division by hand, good skill to have but when you have a calculator, juat use it :)

Re: worth the $$ for accuterra, thats a judgement call.. I prefer it and think it was well worth the $20, i use it in conjunction with open cycle maps and the $4 POI overlay on both phone and tablet, and spend a lot of time off-grid so it was an eash decision...

Sent from the middle of nowhere using whatever technology happens to work...

Oh my god your adventure might take a few seconds longer because you cant be directed by some gadget. Dont get me wong I think it's a great tool but honestly op asked for a cheap way to be able to nav without having to spend alot of money and in a year and a half and 27 replies not one person suggested a map and compass. Oh and I cant do calc even with a calculator but I can get anywhere I want with a map and compass. As for your visabilty being a hundred yards big fricking wah I used to hunt hounds at night all the time so visability was far less and far more dangerous and a gadget wasn't going to make it any less so. Just seems to me far to many people rely far to heavily on navigational software to get out instead of first learning how to read a map and compass. It's cheap and reliable.
I know! And really why dont people do calculus by hand, or use pots and strings to communicate? I am perfectly comfortable using a map and compass (we're required to be qualified for SAR) but technology certainly makes it easier :) over labor day weekwnd i did a 4 mile 6 hr bushwack through lava fields, trees, and into an extinct volcano... Given visibility was maybe 100 yards, Map and compass would have taken me significantly longer and would have put me in probably more than one dangerous situation. Plus having a gps allowed me to pull up sat photos to find clearest route, visualize the topography, pick the most efficient route, etc. Map and compass is like doing long division by hand, good skill to have but when you have a calculator, juat use it :)

Re: worth the $$ for accuterra, thats a judgement call.. I prefer it and think it was well worth the $20, i use it in conjunction with open cycle maps and the $4 POI overlay on both phone and tablet, and spend a lot of time off-grid so it was an eash decision...

Sent from the middle of nowhere using whatever technology happens to work...

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Oh my god your adventure might take a few seconds longer because you cant be directed by some gadget. Dont get me wong I think it's a great tool but honestly op asked for a cheap way to be able to nav without having to spend alot of money and in a year and a half and 27 replies not one person suggested a map and compass. Oh and I cant do calc even with a calculator but I can get anywhere I want with a map and compass. As for your visabilty being a hundred yards big fricking wah I used to hunt hounds at night all the time so visability was far less and far more dangerous and a gadget wasn't going to make it any less so. Just seems to me far to many people rely far to heavily on navigational software to get out instead of first learning how to read a map and compass. It's cheap and reliable.

Actually, they have gadgets that would make that easier, and less dangerous ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles