Google Chrome: Post here

haven

Expedition Leader
The Chrome OS had its coming-out party at Google's I/O conference in San Francisco on May 10-11, 2011. Let's use this thread to post information about the OS and its potential for use by travelers.

Starting June 15, we'll be able to purchase computers that use Chrome as the operating system. The initial offerings will be in the form of laptops called ChromeBooks sold by Samsung and Acer. Basic specs:

Intel Atom N570 dual core 1.66 GHz processor
1280x800 display (11.6 inches from Acer, 12.1 inches from Samsung)
16 GB solid state drive
b/g/n WiFi
optional 3G
front facing Webcam
two USB ports
flash card slot
"full size" keyboard and "oversize" trackpad
battery life 6 hours (Acer) to 8.5 hours (Samsung)

Samsung's ChromeBook will be called the Series 5. Price of the WiFi-only model is $429. The 3G model, which includes a monthly allocation of 100MB for data transfers on the Verizon network, costs $499.

The Acer Chromebook with WiFi only will cost $349. No information about the Acer 3G model is available right now.

haven

Expedition Leader
Chrome is a "cloud-based" OS, meaning that your data and applications reside on Internet servers, and are fetched to your local machine when you need to use them. You log in to your account using your Google name and password, generally the same as you use to connect to Gmail.

However, Google has hedged its bet on the cloud model a bit by announcing that the next versions of GMail, Calendar, and Google Docs (word processing, spreadsheet, presentation programs) will have the option of saving and working on your data locally. Third party applications for Chrome also can be designed to run in local mode.

For example, there's a version of Angry Birds for Chrome that runs locally. This lets you continue to destroy the villainous pigs when you're in an area that lacks both WiFi and 3G connectivity (when flying, say, or on an ExPo adventure).

It remains to be seen how many third party apps will be developed with the run-local option.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I hate to start off the first response with a downer, but it is an important factor to consider (with all things Google, in fact). I love the concept of these new machines, but considering Google's views on privacy I don't think I'll ever be able to trust them with the OS of an entire computer. I'm happy to use their browser as my go-to for everything I do that is public, and even their email service (email by nature is insecure), but they can stay the heck away from my unpublished content and private files. If you value your right to privacy, you would do well to look elsewhere.

On a technical note: The 3G model really only gets 100MB of data allocation? What are they thinking? My PHONE gets 2GB per month (and it gets used). I can't imagine trying to stay under 100MB on a full-fledged computer, especially one that is so heavily "net" reliant (even more than the ubiquitous "netbooks").

haven

Expedition Leader
GPS features didn't work properly with previously released beta versions of Chrome. It will be crucial for the ChromeBook computers to have working GPS, both for location based services and for navigation. We'll have to check this closely when ChromeBooks go on sale in June.

haven

Expedition Leader
The 3G version of the ChromeBook gets 100 MB as part of the purchase price. There is no monthly charge. If you need more, Verizon is happy to sell you a regular data plan.

For example, I use my iPad primarily with WiFi. I get along fine using AT&T's 250 MB plan the costs $15 a month, rarely using more than 100 MB. And the ChromeBook WiFi will work fine with mobile hotspots like Verizon's 4G MiFi model.

Speaking of 3G, Google describes the ChromeBook 3G as available globally, which I take to mean that the 3G radio chip can work with carriers that use GSM as well as EVDO for data transmission. You'll need an appropriate SIM card for the carrier you choose.

haven

Expedition Leader
Cloud-based storage of data is both liberating and troubling.

Since 99% of computer users don't regularly make backups, having an OS that automatically backs up your working files to the cloud means great security against data loss. If you have a hardware failure on your local machine, or your laptop is stolen, your data is still secure.

On the other hand, cloud storage also is vulnerable to data loss or service unavailability through hardware failure or hacker mischief. There are plenty of examples, the most recent being the attack on Sony's Playstation network.

As Chazz points out, Google makes money by supplying information about its customers to other businesses. The information is primarily in the aggregate, without identifying individuals, but companies are willing to pay much more for specific leads to business prospects. I expect that Chrome is part of Google's data mining strategy.

Google Docs allows you to restrict access to your files in three levels: completely private, available if people know the link, and completely public. It's up to Google to keep your files private, so you have to decide if you want to trust them to do so.

Google's Chrome web browser lets you opt out of data collection activities like tracking the web pages you visit. Read about the steps you can take here http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/privacy.html Again, you have to decide if you want to trust Google to honor your wishes.

Personally, I've used GMail for years and had no problems (that I know about). I'm going to give Chrome a try. Given the consequences of failure, I expect Google to constantly upgrade its security and privacy functions. And third parties will offer ways to increase security, such as encryption, to Chrome.

Regarding the "big brother is watching" aspect of cloud storage, the Patriot Act already allows government snooping in every possible way with a minimum of oversight. So you'd be foolish to think that government agencies are not already listening to your phone calls, tracking your financial transactions, and monitoring your email, facebook posts, tweets and all other forms of communication. If you're concerned about this, you have bigger problems than what Chrome does with your grocery lists.

haven

Expedition Leader
I forgot to mention that there are third party apps that allow PC and Mac users to make local backups of their files that Google holds in the cloud. I'm not yet aware of a similar program for the Chrome OS, but I'm sure that somebody wil develop one.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Gmail has always had a way to do local email processing - it's called IMAP. I use both Mozilla Thunderbird and the built-in email client in Opera as IMAP clients to gmail. If gmail didn't have IMAP cabability, I wouldn't use it.

I don't have to see or use the horribly crappy gmail web interface except for once or twice a year when I log in to create a filter to tell it to stop automatically routing some forum's "new post" messages to the spam directory. (Yup, gmail has a nasty little habit of blackholing certain forum's new post messages - for some reason I keep getting the feeling that Oberfuhrer Schmidt doesn't exactly approve of all my choices as regards forums...) Instead I use a real email client that gives me a much more useful interface to work with - and no ads.

IMAP is the best of both worlds - it allows me to store my email, sorted into sub-directories (what the uninitiated would call folders) on the email servers AND keep a fully synchronized backup of all my directories and messages on my local machines (in Thunderbird in Winblows and in Opera in Lunix).

Of course, I also have other email accounts on other servers - all with IMAP capability. By using a real email client, I can manage all my accounts from a single interface, and can also send and receive messages that Google doesn't get to see. Also, I can answer email offline, and it'll get sent whenever I get online again.

What can I say - after more than a decade in the I.T. business I'm a dedicated privacy advocate...subversive I know...but it feels so good to be naughty.

(And speaking of privacy; How about this new movement towards legislating "do not track"? I think it's awesome!

I do wonder if they'll ever get around to making it also apply to retail stores' "rewards" cards...after all the whole point of inventing the rewards cards was to enable purchase tracking and consumer profiling. You didn't really believe that the corporations jacked up all prices by 2% and then offered a 2% discount to anyone who "voluntarily" signed up to be tracked as a favor to you. Did you? That sort of tracking system costs hella money to setup and operate. Who pays for it? You didn't really think it saves you money. Did you?

I know...many will say, "So what? I don't care if they track my purchases". Yes, no big deal today, but down the road when your health insurance provider denies you dental coverage because you bought too many sugary cereals and not enough dental floss....or you get denied coverage for heart disease because you bought too much meat...or coverage for liver disease because you bought too much alcohol...)

As regards GoogleOS and the cloud...

It has been known in the I.T. industry for decades that the key to controlling what users can and cannot do, is to make the computer an appliance. The ideal, from the corporations' point of view, would be to make it like a cable TV box - the user pays rent on it, but the corporation owns and controls it.

Second best, is to sell them the hardware outright, but retain control of the software. Sound familiar?

Controlling what users can and cannot do on the Information Super InterWebs is a little more difficult. Though it's a lot easier if you control all of the major services they use on the web, AND control the hardware and software they use to get online.

But it's not just about control. No no...it's also about micro billing.

Micobilling is of course not new. I remember back in the mid-90's when Visa and IBM created the first microbilling system, based on the old SET protocol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Electronic_Transaction

Here's an article from 1998 about DEC's MilliCent microbilling system:

http://sellitontheweb.com/blog/millicent-micropayment-product-review/

When Java was invented, one of the nicest things about it was how beautifully it enabled microbilling. The user downloads (and pays a few pennies for) an applet, which then compiles and runs. Next time they need that applet, they have to download it again. For a corporation, that's almost as good as selling children sugar, and then once they are grown, selling them insulin for the rest of their lives. Sun was justifiably proud.

Well...it may be inevitable that corporations will ultimately control all that we can and cannot do with our computers and the Internet and will microbill us by the byte for bandwidth, storage and every time we use the software or access a file.

But until that day comes - I'll stay independent as long as I can, and they can just kiss my hairy butt.

haven

Expedition Leader
In some ways, Chrome is the Revenge of the Mainframe Mentality.

Back in the day, end users leased terminals and RS-232 lines that connected them to the big machines in the air conditioned room in the Computer Center. Techs were paid to minister to the mainframes around the clock, making daily backups that were shipped on mag tape to a storage facility off-site. You want to print on a particular form? That will be loaded on the printer this afternoon at 3pm. The printout will appear in your bin by 5pm.

Then PCs arrived, and people stopped paying for leased lines and processing cycles. Computing ceased to be a line item in the departmental budget. People bought machines out of the budget for supplies. The data center lost a lot of its luster.

IT staff suffered, too. Instead of being wizards in languages and protocols no one else understood, now they had to teach classes on linking a printer to a PC, and creating Excel spreadsheets. It was a major chore to distribute institutional software in a timely manner. Lots of IT departments were outsourced.

30 years later, Chrome makes centralized control feasible again. Google is offering to lease a ChromeBook to business for $28 a month, hardware and software included. Students can lease for $20 a month! That will make it hard to justify those $1000 MacBook Air purchases!

If a ChromeBook malfunctions, a kid from the mail room will stop by and swap it out for a new one. Your data stays in the cloud, so it's ready to go as soon as you log in.

If you have an update to institutional software, or want to replace the boot-up screen with a message from the CEO, Google will help you silently push it to the ChromeBook the next time the user logs on. Nobody has to search for the computer in the spare bedroom in the CFO's vacation house to update it.

This sort of fiscal predictability and centralized control will look mighty appealing to the CTO.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
This sort of fiscal predictability and centralized control will look mighty appealing to the CTO.

Absolutely. That's why Citrix made money doing it with WinFrame back in the 90's and what prompted Microsoft to screw Citrix by creating MS Terminal Services to steal their market share.

No doubt many executives will jump on that bandwagon, but I have a feeling a whole lot of them won't want their proprietary corporate data and intellectual property residing on someone else's servers. And I can't see law firms of any size - even the smallest - storing their files on the cloud. EDIT: And what happens when the internet connection is down? 500 employees sitting there on the clock costing the company 10 grand an hour and unable to work? No CTO in his right mind would sanction a situation where that could happen.

When instant messaging was all the rage, many companies used it, but a whole bunch of them banned it until they could get their own in-house IM servers up and running.

I may be considered a kook for giving a damn about my privacy, but my kicking and griping pales compared to the privacy protection efforts of any big corporation.

I can just see the cringing when they realize that their data could be held hostage (inaccessible) if they don't pay the storage bill on time.

And then there is the conversion costs. If a company has a complete MS infrastructure in place, it's often cheaper to just pay MS their license fees than to suffer the monetary slings and arrows of implementing an entirely new system.

For small businesses I could see it maybe becoming popular, for large businesses Google is going to have to market the devices as an adjunct to the company's existing infrastructure.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94