Decision: Goodyear MTRK or BFG MTKM2

Decision: MTRK or MTKM2

• Total voters

OTR

Adventurer
So far I like The MTR/K's I only have about 7,000 miles on them and a lot of those are on ice. If you want a MT tire you can stud, I highly recommend Firestone Destination MT. I was very happy with those tires and got 50,000 miles out of them. They are a very under rated tire IMO and I have a report on them on here somewhere.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I guess I must be lucky like pskhaat regarding side wall cuts. I haven't had a sidewall cut (Through) even running the Rubicon with about 8 lbs. of pressure in this BFG Krawler. Most of the trail was ran at a little higher psi, but towing the trailer up Cadillac Hill required a little more re-assurance.

100_0607.jpg

Back to the original topic. I'm currently running a BFG KM 2, in 255/85r16 on the F-250. This will be the first winter with them on the Ford, but I also had a set on the HJ45 and a set on my father's FJ Cruiser (All the same size).

After running the first gen. GoodYear M/T's, I swore I'd never run a set again. After talking to 'Spresso and witnessing the punishment he has put those "New Style" kevlar's through, I'd consider running them.

I know you didn't mention this tire, but since it's close to the family I thought I'd mention my experience with it as well; GoodYear Wrangler Duratrac. I wore a set out at 17k miles. Mixed driving between mostly paved and a lot of gravel/dirt roads.

Probably one of the worse, if not the worst performing snow/ice tire I've ever driven with. They were mounted on a 4x4 HD 2500 crewcab shortbed with a caravan camper shell for weight comparison. We have three of these trucks set up identically and two out of the three have had a single driver assigned to them since new. All three of the trucks needed new tires before 19k miles.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
If you want a MT tire you can stud, I highly recommend Firestone Destination MT. I was very happy with those tires and got 50,000 miles out of them. They are a very under rated tire IMO and I have a report on them on here somewhere.

I too have heard great stories of the Firestone. I have a close friend with them on his Cummins and he drives a lot of off road miles. No complaints about the tires from him.

I had a set of Maxxis BigHorn M/T's studded for our hundy. The significant other loved them. I ran that tire (Non studded version) 255/85r16 during the Nevada Trophy on the 80 series and it's also a great tire if you want a studded version. I think the Maxxis will outlast the BFg's also mileage wise.

rparker762

Observer
I know this thread started a few months ago but thought I'd add my .02. I have run Goodyear MT/Rs on my last 3 vehicles and my current truck. I had a 1980 K5 Blazer, 1996 Jeep Cherokee, a 1984 K5 Blazer and now my 03 Ram. The 80 Blazer and the 96 Cherokee ran the old style MT/Rs while the 84 Blazer and the Dodge run MT/Rs w/ Kevlar. After offroading in my 80 K5 a withi both BFG MTs and Pathfinder ATs and either tearing the sidewalls on rocks or putting branches through them, I decided to try the MT/Rs and haven't looked back. Neither set has ever succumbed to any sidewall damage. While I agree they may not be the greatest in mud, I have never been stuck. I no longer worry about tires or what they are rubbing against. I find the new MT/Rs quite comfortable on the street, even in the rain.

100_5618.jpg

100_5476.jpg

100_1569.jpg

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
this

Now almost 2-years and 28k miles of tough use on and off-road on my GY MTRKs. Best tire I've had to date. Quite the opposite of most MT tires: This tire gets less noisy as the tread wears. And they are SUPERB on all types of snow and ice. As long as GY doesn't change them they'll be my next set and my next set too :)

ive run tons of "offroad" tires, bfg's swamper radials and bias, the new goodyears are the best tire ive ever run, quiet, wear great (i have over 20k on mine on a TJ) they are lighter weight than the km2's which is a big deal when you are running larger sizes, and they have more siping which i like since i see alot of snow and ice

jfarsang

Adventurer
I'm a poster-child for US domestic off-highway, from the beaches of Florida to the Cœur d'Alene Mountains, deserts, plains and mountains in-between.

I've gone through a set of MTR/K's and Duratrac's. The MTR/K's lasted 43k and the Duratrac's 39k.

The MTR/K's were horrible in packed snow/ice compared to the duratrac's but felt more solid on the road due to the thick sidewalls. I would end up sideways often with the MTR/K's as opposed to driving on rails with the Duratrac's in the winter.

THE MTR/K's took 10 times the amount to balance them. The Duratrac's took less than my mom's tercel donut wheels.

The Duratrac is far superior for lateral traction than the MTR/K by far and large. Slippery sections on the Duratrac's give me more confidence than the same section in wet with the butt clenching MTR/K's.

If I lived more south, I would have chosen the MTR/K's when my last set of Duratrac's wore out but I went again with Duratrac's because we get some copious amounts of rain/snow in the pacific northwest.

If you are mainly in a dry environment, you will enjoy the MTR/K's.
If you are in a mixed environment with rain/snow,etc.. you will benefit from the Duratrac's.

I am running these tires on a Nissan Patrol which is a large SUV comparable to an 80/100 for size and weight so I'm in the same category as you.

You'll always get mixed reviews on any tire. Love/hate for any one.

One thing that no one mentioned is the technology advancements of tires in general these days compared to a decade ago and prior.

The KM2, MTR/K and Duratrac's all three have far better compound/design to cope with our driving environments than a single tire used to back in the 'day'.

You can't go wrong with either one.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I have not heard about a new KM2. There was a thread about new ATs though. Any new links to the new KM2s?

4x4junkie

Explorer
I had MT/R-Ks on my Bronco II for about 12,000 miles. Awesome tires offroad. Gripped rocks like glue. Didn't get into any real deep mud, but the little mud I did do they worked well. Took me pretty much wherever I wanted.

On the street?? Torturous. Would not stay balanced, constant vibration at any speed above 50 MPH, and would get downright scary at 70 & above. Come to find they had become very out of round (all 4 of them to varying degrees, the worst one was over 1/8"). Odd too because for the first 1000 miles or so they were very smooth. Goodyear made good on their warranty with little hassle though.

Now running on BFG KM2s. Almost smooth as glass, and so far seem to be staying that way (got maybe 1500 miles so far, so not a lot of time on them yet).

Other observations:
New KM2s are noisier than the Goodyears were when new.
The Goodyear's noise increased slightly as they wore in a bit (this is pretty typical of most tires).
The Goodyear was a full half-inch larger in diameter and is considerably wider and slightly heavier than the BFG (a full 35" tall for the Goodyear, the BFG is 34.5"... size 35x12.50R15).
The Goodyears took about 7-9 oz each to balance, the BFGs varied around 5-8 oz.

For the 12K miles I had them, the MT/R-K's tread depth went from 21/32" to 16/32" (or about 75% tread left). Had I kept them, I would not have forseen them lasting as long as the set of BFG KM(1) tires I had prior (the KM(1)s were around 55% tread after 33K miles). The MT/R's wear was also a little uneven (more wear in the higher-void outer half of the tread).

This marks my 2nd disappointment with Goodyear tires. Probably won't buy them again, seems to me like they have too many QC problems. Too bad, I wanted to like the MT/R-K too, but I couldn't take them anymore while on the freeway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior