Decision: Goodyear MTRK or BFG MTKM2

Decision: MTRK or MTKM2

• Total voters

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
It is time for some new shoes. I have never needed to ask others as to what tire, but I am finally quite torn on two options:

1. BFG MT KM2
    mtavm6.ang.jpg
  2. Goodyear MT/R + K
    gdymr1.ang.jpg

These are not necessarily similar tires though in the same off-highway category. I have respect for both. Can you provide any objective evidence or even anecdote as to how each should be ranked? No secret the price point on the BFG is favor #1.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
From a pure personal perspective, I feel the BFG is a more utilitarian looking tire that would be supplied from the factory on Rubicons, Gwagens,...etc. The MTRK looks like and aftermarket bling tire.

Now I know the MTRK performs great from the many post that have been written about it. But, I went with the BFGs and have not regretted the decision once. Plus, the BFGs come in 255/85s and the MTRKs don't.

I really feel tires come down to personal preference/aesthetics. Whatever you choose will end up being a good choice as they both are good tires.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Anyone know the reasonable mileage availability on each?

I'm a big 255 size fan, but I maintain that my 8" wheel is simply too wide for a 255 for the varied rock terrain I frequent so not material here. Too mad another manufacturer never made true on their 275/85 statements.

Fashion follows Function for me, I'm all about utility and not about aesthetics (clearly looking at me :))

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Now almost 2-years and 28k miles of tough use on and off-road on my GY MTRKs. Best tire I've had to date. Quite the opposite of most MT tires: This tire gets less noisy as the tread wears. And they are SUPERB on all types of snow and ice. As long as GY doesn't change them they'll be my next set and my next set too :)

bcrez

Adventurer
Ditto on a lot already said. MTR/K have less road noise, less vibration, and are better in snow/ rain. I have never run KM2's but I get a lot of mixed reviews from hate it, to love it. I have never heard anyone complain about the Goodyear MTR/K.

BorntoVenture

Adventurer
I was just in the same shoes you are in, trying to decide between the two. I ended up picking the KM2's because I will be adventuring here in the southeast US which has more mud and dirt than rocks or sand and from what I've read the KM2 can be slightly better in these areas.

Now for the story, every supplier I contacted was backordered on the 305 KM2s so I decided to go with the MTRs...... yeah, backordered also..... until September. So I'll be running Pro-Comp MTR's this time. ;) Good luck getting your's, hope they have them in stock!

Darren

Adventurer
I have never heard anyone complain about the Goodyear MTR/K.

Allow me!

These tires are horribly sloppy in snow, and that's probably an understatement. I have never slipped so much during in-town driving with them during the past two winters. I had bald first generation MT/Rs three winters ago at about 2/32, and the kevlar versions performed virtually the the same when new in snow, which is surprising to me given the tread design differences. The first generation MT/Rs were far superior in comparison and I really wish they were still available. I can't wait for mine to wear out. I have no complaints about street manners, and cannot comment about how they handle in mud, at least in comparison to the first generation MT/Rs. The first generations were awesome performers all around. I have no experience with any other truck tire, but knowing what I know about the kevlar MT/Rs, I wouldn't think twice about running the KM2s over these.

The kevlar versions are noticeably larger than the first generation in the 285/75/16 size and seem to wear about the same (~45,000), or possibly a touch better. I'm at 33,000, 10/32.

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Allow me!

These tires are horribly sloppy in snow, and that's probably an understatement. I have never slipped so much during in-town driving with them during the past two winters. I had bald first generation MT/Rs three winters ago at about 2/32, and the kevlar versions performed virtually the the same when new in snow, which is surprising to me given the tread design differences. The first generation MT/Rs were far superior in comparison and I really wish they were still available. I can't wait for mine to wear out. I have no complaints about street manners, and cannot comment about how they handle in mud, at least in comparison to the first generation MT/Rs. The first generations were awesome performers all around. I have no experience with any other truck tire, but knowing what I know about the kevlar MT/Rs, I wouldn't think twice about running the KM2s over these.

The kevlar versions are noticeably larger than the first generation in the 285/75/16 size and seem to wear about the same (~45,000), or possibly a touch better. I'm at 33,000, 10/32.

Interesting. My experience with 3-sets of the gen 2 MTR (the one before the current MT/R Kevlar) was opposite yours. 6500-7000lb LC; 285/75R16, 315/75R16 for the gen 2 MT/Rs I ran and they were down right scary on hardpack snow and certainly ice; however they wore better so I suspect between the harder rubber compound and no siping that probably explains my experiences.

My current MT/R Kevlar in 285/75R18 have done all I've asked over a wide variety of conditions including the same hardpack snow and ice.

Of the now 3.5 complete sets of MT/R's I've had on this rig (2 gen 2 sets and 1.5 sets of the new MT/R Kevlar) I've collected approximately 84,000 total miles on the sets.

Shows to go ya how different opinions can be!

cobound

Adventurer
Long story short, I wanted both of them myself. I settled on the BFG In the 37" flavor...back ordered and none in stock anywhere. Got a refund.

So I set out on the MTRK and found them to be back ordered and no manufacturing date in sight. After doing more research I found the MTRK to be the favored tire so I kept digging for the tire and LOW AND BEHOLD...found them at treadepot.com :victory:

Never heard of them before, but they had great prices and awesome shipping rates. So I ordered them.

I'll try and update this after I get them, I'm most likely going to mount them on a set of Walker Evans beadlocks, like these:

1010_4wd_21+2006_jeep_wrangler_TJ_unlimited+goodyear_wrangler_tires.jpg

While I know these aren't sizes you all are talking about I HAD to share...I'm stoked!

B

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I ran the MTR/Ks on my Jeep in a 285/75-16 and the KM2s in a 255/85-16; I returned the KM2s to BFG after hydroplaning so often and so bad on wet asphalt that I swore them off.
BFG agreed with me that the JK was too light for those tires to be very much good for street use.

The MTR/Ks aren't mud tires; they're better than normal ATs in the mud but they will fail you if you see a bunch of it. I found them to be the best tires I've ever run on rocks and slippery roads though. Nothing ever came close.

The KM2s were great in mud; when aired-down, they cleaned-out like icecube trays at slow speeds. You didn't have to spin them. They were about average on rocks.

What are you driving? The rig and terrain matter when choosing tires and you haven't said what they're going on or how you'll use them.
For my Jeep, DD, weekend warrior, more mud than rocks, Cooper Discoverer STTs turned out to be my choice of tire.

01tundra

Explorer
Ditto on a lot already said. MTR/K have less road noise, less vibration, and are better in snow/ rain. I have never run KM2's but I get a lot of mixed reviews from hate it, to love it. I have never heard anyone complain about the Goodyear MTR/K.

I have ran both and the KM2's were smoother, had less road noise, had less vibration, required considerable less weight to balance, and was as good in the rain. The KM2's definitely had better off-road performance.

I will never have another GY product on my truck, the Goodyear MTR/K were the worst out of the 10 various sets of tires that I've ran on my truck. The second worse were the original MT/R's.............

The Goodyears are terrible in any muddy conditions, lacked lateral traction on rocks, took a ton or weight to balance, sidewalls cut as easy as the KM2's, made the truck want to pull to the passenger side on the road (as they did with the several other rigs that were running them on our trip).........so now you've heard it from somebody that actually has ran both and no longer runs either.

Maybe the MTR/K's are great on lighter rigs, but they were terrible on mine.

You may want to consider the Hankook's also.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
The KM2 is an impressive tire, but really struggle in snow, especially lateral grip (it is nearly an open lateral channel on the tread design). Pretty smooth overall on the road though, which is notable

I do like the new MTR in concept too, and am planning to buy/test a set.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I think in the end you are just going to have take the plunge on one of them. It is amazing the difference in vehicle, tire pressure, and weather conditions can play in how one perceive the tire peforms. I am in a 2006 Unlimited Rubicon and run the 255 BFGs at 36psi each. They have not felt squirrelly or hydroplaned on me once and have been great on the snow. Now this is on Colorado snow. If I was in the sluch snow from the Great Lakes I might absolutely hate these tires. Now I will say the old BFG MTs were terrible on my vehicle in my location. They did not seem to grip the snow and felt sloppy on rainy roads. I've heard just the opposite from others. Differences in wheelbase, weight, and weight distribution will all have impacts on how the tire performs for you. Good luck in your decision. I don't think either one is a bad choice.

Bighead

Adventurer

Darren...any idea how much bigger do the Kevlars run?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior