Porta potti or what?

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
The Hippies guide to crapping in the woods? Sorry but I've seen the aftermath of big hippy parties (Rainbow People and the like) and I would never go that route. The term "dirty hippy" was invented for a reason.

LOL, I agree, the Hippies for sure don't have a "How to shower in the woods" guide but their "how to crap in the woods" guide is not bad - two things they point out that are critical in their guide is that you have to dig a deep hole, deeper than you might think at first thought, and you definitely need to use fire ashes as a minimum and a small amount of lime if you want to do it right.

JPK pointed out that it's illegal in many places to crap in the woods. I've never encountered a backcountry location yet where it was illegal to crap in the woods. I've heard of regs saying you have to use biodegradable paper, and I've heard of regs saying you can't crap in a riparian area (a stream bank) but other than that, crapping in the woods, which was invented about 100,000 years ago, is still alive and well throughout most of the world :) Then again, I haven't camped out west in dry areas much so it's something I'll have to watch out for I guess.

DrMoab

Explorer
Lots and lots of places in utah on blm land require that you carry a toilet. While they don't actually say you have to use it.

JPK

Explorer
JPK pointed out that it's illegal in many places to crap in the woods. I've never encountered a backcountry location yet where it was illegal to crap in the woods. I've heard of regs saying you have to use biodegradable paper, and I've heard of regs saying you can't crap in a riparian area (a stream bank) but other than that, crapping in the woods, which was invented about 100,000 years ago, is still alive and well throughout most of the world :) Then again, I haven't camped out west in dry areas much so it's something I'll have to watch out for I guess.

As DrMoab pointed out, it is illegal in Utah about everywhere I read regs for. Of course, he has an interesting read of the regs! But actually, the regs are clear wrt to littering, and maybe you could cut a fine line and leave the crap and take the TP, but if you're taking the fouled TP to meet the littering regs, which are common EVERYWHERE, why not take the crap too. At EJS each trail leader or assistant had amoungst them at least one PET toilet and bags for common use. Use their toilet, but afterwards carry your own bag.

As mentioned, I've used garbage bag lined 5gal buckets. Do your buisness, with the minimal amount of bag in the bucket. Tie off the bag, turn the bag inside out and tie off again, put that bag into another bag, tie off... You are now safe for transport so long as sharp objects are kept at bay. Best to use exterior storage if possible. I now have a supply of PET bags to go into the can liners. That makes the end result land fill compliant.

I also noted that its illegal in other places around here and out west.

As far as crapping in the woods here at home, at my hunting clubs I know of every perfectly situated downed tree offerring a throne like setting and I'm never hunting w/o a half roll of Charmin. I'm commonly short the typical reading material in these settings, but you'd be suprised at the extent of info printed on ammo boxes! No need to dig a slit, just kick a pile of leaves over top. The poo is gone within a couple of weeks if not eaten by something within that day and the paper is gone by next season.

JPK

Vince1

Adventurer
For me, I'll crap anywhere without reservation...yup, even into a grocery bag behind a downtown dumpster if need be. However, you can't discount the women I camp with. It takes a little extra effort to help them enjoy the camping experience and since they sit down for both duties, a toilet is a respectable solution for them. Like mentioned above, it is actually required in more and more wilderness areas, even though proper burial is the easiest and seemingly environmentally responsible method. Even in formal campgrounds, a personal toilet beats the heck out of the public latrines on a hot summer afternoon, they tell me. Happy women, happy camping.

JPK

Explorer
Vince1,

Here is a woman friendly option, and one I will be using for my tear drop trailer to keep happy women for happy camping:
JONNY2_L1.jpg

It has a fully sealing top and provision for drainage into an appropriate permanent recptacle, pump out, etc.

The 5gal bucket I use for a more mobile, Jeep/Suburban only solution.

JPK

bat

Explorer
So the wag bag is not just a one time go it is big enough for at least two time go.I am trying to figure out how many to buy just my wife and I for 3/4 days out. Is kitty litter the best to use for smell and fluid control.

DrMoab

Explorer
So the wag bag is not just a one time go it is big enough for at least two time go.I am trying to figure out how many to buy just my wife and I for 3/4 days out. Is kitty litter the best to use for smell and fluid control.

We usually buy two boxes for a trip like that. The boxes hold six I think. That's for us and two kids.

How many times do you go in a day? (don't answer that)

rusty_tlc

Explorer
We got a Lugable loo about three years ago. It has changed our lives.

Do get a big ammo can, we had a primary containment failure on Saline Valley washboard once. Luckily the bag was inside the Loo so it didn't reek havoc<groan>. Right after that I stopped in Beatty and picked up a big ammo can. Since then we have had two other containment failures, it happens on rough dirt roads, the ammo cans are completely hermetic so it becomes a non-issue. Well until you open the ammo can anyway. :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94