Jumping Jack Trailer Destroyed...

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Wonder if she is still the new girl friend and not the ex now.:) I remember when I was young and dumb and did stupid stuff to impress the ladies. Luckily I never did anything quite that stupid or I should say but for the grace of god I never did anything that stupid.:bike_rider: At least no one was hurt badly, things are a lot easier to fix than bodies.

Xodius

Adventurer
I saw bill of sale, kick the kid's rear and then buy the trailer as scrap and sell it. I was just looking at those JJtrailers from Costco. They are on sale I think this month for 2999. Not too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MojaveSidecar

Update on my Jumping Jack Trailer damage

The wheels of the insurance adjustment process turn slowly.

Allstate, my home owners insurance will only cover the trailer up to $1000 since that is what my coverage is for personal property. So I decided to have Allstate deal only with the repairs to the house, and I am going after the kid's insurance company directly. The kid's insurance company adjuster finally came out yesterday and hopefully I should hear something early next week.

Now that all the adjusters have seen the damage, I plan to pull the trailer out of its hole this week and see if I can set the tent up. I'll post more pics of the damage then.

I bought my trailer from Lifetime products in Nov 2010. In January 2011, Lifetime Products and Jumping Jack trailers had a parting of the ways. Since then, Jumping Jack has been reorganizing itself and its website and at this point in time there is no contact information other then a generic email address on the Jumping Jack site.

I did finally track down John Badger from JumpingJack and he has been helpful with the repair estimate process. Ping me if you need to contact Jumping Jack and I can get you his number.

Note that Lifetime still sells the "Lifetime tent trailer" which similar to but not a Jumping Jack trailer. This Lifetime trailer is the one that Costo carries, Costo does not carry Jumping Jack trailers.

HTH

Randy from Burbank
PS.. changed my user name from MrInvisible to MojaveSidecar

highlandercj-7

Explorer
That's my kinda luck. We bought a 87 IROC-Z Camaro with 12k org miles, we waited 10 years to buy it and the guy finally sold it. My Mom washes it and leaves it in the driveway. A drunk bastage comes flyin up the road, goes over a hill, back up another hill, into the drive way, misses the 44 foot enclosed race trailer and the 10' block wall, drives down the driveway slams into the IROC and puts it into the new garage door and into the Impalla SS that in the garage and pushes it into the wall on the back side of the garge. The worst part is the driunk gets taken to the hospital where he walks out the door and never got charged with a DUI or anything.

I hope you get it taken care of and you make out ont he deal.

greentruck

Adventurer
x2 on what Scott said.

Since the car landed on the front of the trailer, the drawbar and/or frame has gotta be tweaked. Doubt you want to rely on someone trying to make it straight, it'll always dogtrack on you:088:

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
The adjuster is coming out tomorrow to estimate the damage to house and trailer. I will then clean up the rubble and take a closer look at the damage, but so far I can see that the wiring harness is severed, the front jack collapsed and the metal wings are mangled.

The insurance company seems to be at a loss as to how to appraise the damage, and so am I. Any ideas?

I think you should ask for a new trailer - the old one will never track straight based on the damage you describe. You should also ask for "loss of use" compensation - namely the costs to replace your lost trip, plus the value of the loss of use next weekend and every weekend until you get the new trailer.

wyojoe

Adventurer
Bummer!

Mojave Sidecar,
I bought my Jumping Jack trailer around the same time as you bought yours (Nov. 2010). Fortunately, I've been able to use mine several times since I bought it, and I hope to use it a lot more in the future.

When I insured it, the insurance company didn't know how to classify it (utility trailer or camping trailer). They ended up classifying it as a utility trailer, which is a little cheaper to insure (~$50/yr. vs. ~$70/yr.). I did get full coverage for the trailer for just the type of situation that happened to yours, or to protect my investment if someone ran into it on the highway.

I hope the kid's insurance company comes through for you, since he was wholly responsible for the damages to your trailer. I agree with the others that you should get a new trailer out of the deal, possibly minus the tent, if yours is still in undamaged condition.

D

Deleted member 9101

Mojave Sidecar,
I bought my Jumping Jack trailer around the same time as you bought yours (Nov. 2010). Fortunately, I've been able to use mine several times since I bought it, and I hope to use it a lot more in the future.

When I insured it, the insurance company didn't know how to classify it (utility trailer or camping trailer). They ended up classifying it as a utility trailer, which is a little cheaper to insure (~$50/yr. vs. ~$70/yr.). I did get full coverage for the trailer for just the type of situation that happened to yours, or to protect my investment if someone ran into it on the highway.

I hope the kid's insurance company comes through for you, since he was wholly responsible for the damages to your trailer. I agree with the others that you should get a new trailer out of the deal, possibly minus the tent, if yours is still in undamaged condition.

You are kidding me.. if its that cheap I am going to insure mine!!!!

wyojoe

Adventurer
JJ Trailer Insurance

I'm going by memory from about 6 months ago, but it was somewhere in that range for me. That's at least pretty close to what State Farm charged me.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Did this situation have a good outcome?

I'm wondering if the trailer wound up in a salvage auction somewhere. I'd love to get a hold of just the tent section.

slimtwo

Adventurer
mojavesidecar,

Hopefully the kids insurance will total the trailer based on the damage, that way they will hopefully replace it. However, I would suspect that they are going to try to repair it, as it would be the cheapest way out for them. Do the best you can to get them to total it. If that dosn't work, your only other option may be to take the kid and his parents to small claims court for the damages.
I hope that it all is working out for you!

Bruce

wyojoe

Adventurer
Hopefully the kids insurance will total the trailer based on the damage...

I believe the shop that he took the trailer to was able to make the necessary repairs, and that the damage wasn't actually all that bad. These are rather tough trailers, after all. I just hope for his sake that the repairs are made properly and that things work as they should when all is said and done. The way the lid flips over will require all the hinges to be on the same axis, so it will work right. As long as they get that right, and the rest of the trailer is repaired properly (especially the jack stand in the front), the trailer should be about as good as new.

I know the OP has moved since the original post, and that the shop was making the repairs to the trailer. Hopefully he has it back and all is well with it by now. I also hope he gets a chance to use it after all that he's gone through with it, to make sure it works properly.

slimtwo

Adventurer
I believe the shop that he took the trailer to was able to make the necessary repairs, and that the damage wasn't actually all that bad...

I agree, I hope the repair is as good as new. Unfortunately in more cases than not, there are allways missed or unseen points of damage, that can cause problems down the road. However, being a "glass is half full" kinda guy, I'm going with the complete repair and the "good as new" result.

Happy trails!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz