Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Jeep Unlimited LWB opinions.

Default 2006 Jeep Unlimited LWB opinions.

Everyone that I talk to about Jeeps tells me that the 2004 to 2006 Unlimited are the most desirable. Why is that? Are the axles differant then the SE or Sport? Motor or trans diferant. I have a chance for a 2006 Unlimited 71K miles for $12K. He needs money quick, he said.

The unlimited is more desirable because there wasn't that many of them made. All had Dana 44s in the rear but the Rubicons like all Rubicons had Dana 44s front and rear, lockers 4.10s and 4:1 in the t-case.
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
    1988 Dodge Ramcharger

SE and Sport are SWB. Unlimited is LWB. Always.

The extra 10" of wheel base and 18" (I think) of interior space. I always wanted a CJ-6, then Jeep went and made a new one for me!
    Crew dog, Dust Junkies Racing, Three time Baja 1000 Champions, Class 1700 (Jeepspeed)

The rubicon unlimited LJs were only made in 2005 and 2006. There where no Rubicon LJs in 2004. They are just like any Rubicon from 2003 to 2006 except they are longer. The longer wheel base and added interior make a night and day difference in how they handle and the daily usability for carrying stuff. I have owned to CJ-7s and a 2003 TJ Rubicon. The LJ Rubicon is considerable more enjoyable as a DD and trail rig.
    2006 AEV Unlimited Rubicon. Silver. 6-speed. 255/85R16. OME ZJ/LJ. Nth TT. Alloy Shafts. 4.56 gears.

As a former SWB TJ owner and now an LJ owner, these are my reasons why the Unlimited is more desireable.

^That extra length....
    *It makes for a better riding and handling Jeep.
    *You actually have room for your kids in the back even when they grow up.
    *You have actual useable rear storage with the rear seats installed and in use.
    *You can sleep in the back of an LJ, not so much in a TJ.
    *While all Jeeps attract look-loos, LJs are just cooler (though not as cool as a Scrambler) and draw wishes of ownership from TJ owners.

^The standard gearing for non-Rubi LJs is 3.73.
    ^Dana 44 rear standard in LJs.
    ^All the add on things for a TJ bolt right on or are available in LJ flavor.
    ^Did I mention the extra space....those extra 15 inches make a big difference, more so than one would think.

Part of it, I think, is the LJ was only made for 3 years so its a "rare" vehicle if you will. Not much diff than the non-LJ models except as said it came with a D44 rear axle stock and 3.73 gears I think. A lot of people agree that the added storage room inside is great and the overall wheelbase is the perfect, not to long, not to short wheelbase for the all around Jeep. But some will say the length is pointless and it is not worth it...

Can you store the full metal doors behind the seat in either model?

I would think you could except maybe height wise and having a good place to strap them down so they dont bounce around and damage each other. Most people don't carry the doors around unless it is upper half doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Eddie View Post
    Can you store the full metal doors behind the seat in either model?
    Get soft doors and leave the metal ones at home. TJs are trivial to break into so if you are worried about thieves don't. The metal door will NOT stop them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast