2006 Jeep Unlimited LWB opinions.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
Everyone that I talk to about Jeeps tells me that the 2004 to 2006 Unlimited are the most desirable. Why is that? Are the axles differant then the SE or Sport? Motor or trans diferant. I have a chance for a 2006 Unlimited 71K miles for $12K. He needs money quick, he said.

forsakenfuture

Explorer
The unlimited is more desirable because there wasn't that many of them made. All had Dana 44s in the rear but the Rubicons like all Rubicons had Dana 44s front and rear, lockers 4.10s and 4:1 in the t-case.

bob91yj

Resident **************
The extra 10" of wheel base and 18" (I think) of interior space. I always wanted a CJ-6, then Jeep went and made a new one for me!

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
The rubicon unlimited LJs were only made in 2005 and 2006. There where no Rubicon LJs in 2004. They are just like any Rubicon from 2003 to 2006 except they are longer. The longer wheel base and added interior make a night and day difference in how they handle and the daily usability for carrying stuff. I have owned to CJ-7s and a 2003 TJ Rubicon. The LJ Rubicon is considerable more enjoyable as a DD and trail rig.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
As a former SWB TJ owner and now an LJ owner, these are my reasons why the Unlimited is more desireable.

^That extra length....
*It makes for a better riding and handling Jeep.
*You actually have room for your kids in the back even when they grow up.
*You have actual useable rear storage with the rear seats installed and in use.
*You can sleep in the back of an LJ, not so much in a TJ.
*While all Jeeps attract look-loos, LJs are just cooler (though not as cool as a Scrambler) and draw wishes of ownership from TJ owners.

^The standard gearing for non-Rubi LJs is 3.73.
^Dana 44 rear standard in LJs.
^All the add on things for a TJ bolt right on or are available in LJ flavor.
^Did I mention the extra space....those extra 15 inches make a big difference, more so than one would think.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Part of it, I think, is the LJ was only made for 3 years so its a "rare" vehicle if you will. Not much diff than the non-LJ models except as said it came with a D44 rear axle stock and 3.73 gears I think. A lot of people agree that the added storage room inside is great and the overall wheelbase is the perfect, not to long, not to short wheelbase for the all around Jeep. But some will say the length is pointless and it is not worth it...

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I would think you could except maybe height wise and having a good place to strap them down so they dont bounce around and damage each other. Most people don't carry the doors around unless it is upper half doors.

broken1

Observer
Everyone that I talk to about Jeeps tells me that the 2004 to 2006 Unlimited are the most desirable. Why is that? Are the axles differant then the SE or Sport? Motor or trans diferant. I have a chance for a 2006 Unlimited 71K miles for $12K. He needs money quick, he said.

Assuming excellent condition I think that is a very good price. I had always wanted an LJ and I bought one about a year and a half ago. 2004 non rubi ~90K Auto 2"BB 31s for 13K. I probably could have looked harder and paid a little less, but I liked this one after looking at 2 or 3 and it was in excellent condition. It is a most excellent vehicle. Only minor rub is that the 44 is trac-loc which is usually worn out by now, mine was. The only options for more traction are rebuilding the trac loc which is only limited slip to begin with or putting in a Powertrax No-Slip which is the most expensive lunchbox locker out there OR change out the carrier which requires new gear setup. I'm going the No-Slip route shortly.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
A TJ unlimited Rubicon with the 2.8 CRD, 545 auto, and np242 transfer case from a Liberty is one of my top 10 dream rigs. Add in a AEV highline kit with 2-3" of lift and some 37s......MMMMMmmmmm

The added interior space and wheelbase is REALLY nice. It makes the unlimited more like an SUV than a jeep.

alosix

Expedition Leader
A TJ unlimited Rubicon with the 2.8 CRD, 545 auto, and np242 transfer case from a Liberty is one of my top 10 dream rigs. Add in a AEV highline kit with 2-3" of lift and some 37s......MMMMMmmmmm

The added interior space and wheelbase is REALLY nice. It makes the unlimited more like an SUV than a jeep.

vehicles_show_diesel_tj.jpg

If only it was a little longer...

x2 on the ride. that 10" or so of extra wheelbase really makes a difference on the on road handling. It feels more XJ like and less (****** are my kidneys) TJ like.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Part of that longer wheel base is that they move the rear seat back a little bit (1"), but it helps. Then there is the "cavernous" (when humorously compared to a TJ) space behind the rear seat. My LJ's butt drags on rocks all the time on harder trails, but it can definitely wheel with the TJ's just fine. The difference is, after driving home, my kidney's haven't been pulverized to jelly, unlike the TJ guys. The ride really is that much better!

There is a LOT of room in the LJ when you pull out the rear seat!
515499164_wGydF-XL.jpg

And enough room even with the seat in to actually store stuff:
515936750_PPVP3-XL.jpg

(note, the gas can was just a trial fit, I keep it on the tire rack in back:
515499729_YHMJS-XL.jpg

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
The 05/06 have a different (from 2004 and earlier) Oil Pump Drive Assembly that is causing a lot of owners a problem. Look on one of the Jeep forums for details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles