Four Wheel Camper Flatbed Conversion

pods8

Explorer
Coming along, did you try weighting the floor with it suspended or did you not design it with that intent (obviously not regular use but just to duck into the camper while in storage)?

I've been itching to get a welder to play around as well (been looking at the hobart 190 and 210) but I need to get my camper completed too first before adding in another distraction. :p

What winch you got laying in the picture?

teleturns

Adventurer
Coming along, did you try weighting the floor with it suspended or did you not design it with that intent (obviously not regular use but just to duck into the camper while in storage)?

I've been itching to get a welder to play around as well (been looking at the hobart 190 and 210) but I need to get my camper completed too first before adding in another distraction. :p

What winch you got laying in the picture?

I have not tried to put any weight on the floor yet. It is so cold in my garage I am having issues with the caulk I used to seal the frame to the wood. It will not dry. I actually don't know if I will ever have the camper jacked up and need to get in it. For storage I have a huge table I set the camper on.

As for the winch it is a piece of junk Mile Marker 9000 I have mounted on a receiver cradle. The remote just broke and left me up the creek the other day while I was loading a truck on my trailer. I am going to order an Engo 12k for my truck soon. I have heard great things about them.

pods8

Explorer
I had been considering the smittybuilt 12k or 15k on mine. Just a hair more costly than the other lower cost units but reviews on the quality sound okay, if nothing else they're owned by the same company as 4wheelparts so the parent company is a bit more well known and has a reputation to protect in terms of warranties.

teleturns

Adventurer
Worked on the overhead bed today.....The overhead bed is a touchy subject for me because it is one part of my build I could not modify. I really wish my camper had the extended overhead bed, but since it doesn't I'll have to deal with it. Several times I thought about chopping and stretching it, but then new canvas and a roof would be needed....

3/4" plywood is the deck for the bed and then I placed a piece of e-panel underneath where it is exposed to the elements.

20120219_130017.jpg

I cut my first piece of e-panel today...I used the circular saw and it went very smooth

20120219_123714.jpg

Here is a picture of the underside of the overhang

20120219_125746.jpg

Ponyracer

Adventurer
What's your thoughts on the E panel? What did a sheet of that run? Are you going to use it fot the exterior? I am planning on .046 powdercoated red, same stuff as an enclosed trailer, unless this works out better.

teleturns

Adventurer
Did you consider using adhesive for attaching the panels? Just curious.

Also are you going to be replacing the roof? Are you using E-panels up there?

Any plans to coat the aluminum frame?

Keep it up!
-Chris

I did not consider adhesive for attaching the panels. I have no idea what kind of adhesive would work....It would have a nice clean look without rivets though. I'll probably just stick with caulking and rivets.

The original roof is in great shape and I plan to leave it as is. I may coat it with a roof coating once I get my solar panels mounted.

No plans to coat the frame either.....I don't know what purpose it would serve since it will be protected inside and out.

teleturns

Adventurer
Today I worked on the finishing touches for mounting the upper bed. If I can get rivets in time, I'll start skinning the exterior next weekend. I CAN NOT WAIT!:sombrero:

xxfullsailxx

Observer
hey there-

definitely enjoying your build!

i have a mid 80's FWC non-cabover camper that i'm trying to figure out what to do with. i guess i'm trying to decide whether i'm better off selling it, and trying to find a full size, partial cab-over like yours or just working with what i have...the canvas in mine is still in tact but needs R&R'ing...i was thinking of building a roof and "hinged siding" for the pop-up. anyways...

i've also been toying with the idea of adding some cab-over space (mainly for storage or a single bed). i was wondering if you had any pics that might show the front cab-over construction. just trying to get an idea of what material i would use (wood or aluminum, square tubing or sheet) and how it would be joined.

also wondering what your plans are for the interior accommodations? are you laying it out as it was before or are you "customizing" it? especially with all the additional space you'll have after squaring it off! are you keeping the original FWC appliances?

looks great and nice work with the aluminum welding!

cheers-

darin

Ponyracer

Adventurer
One question about the rivets, have you tried riveting the panels to anything yet? I'm wondering how sturdy the "core" material is? Will the rivet cause the core to crush and leave a dimple in the outer skin? Can't wait for more pics man!

Also, not sure where your getting your rivets from but this guy seems to have pretty good prices on closed rivets. Beats the hell out of grainger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260965209457

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94