Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Four Wheel Camper Flatbed Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyracer View Post
    Man! Quit your skiing and get back to the garage! Don't you know that's dangerous? How wll you ever finish your camper if your banged up! LOL I usually end up hurt whenever I get on ski's, guess that's just me though lol.

Have you started the layout of the interior yet? 6 months and counting until my skamper rebuild begins! Looking for the best layout possible for 4 people!
    I have not started the interior layout, but it is all in my head. The camper will be designed for the girlfriend and I so it will just have 2 twin sized beds.
    -Tyler-
    1993 Dodge W250 CUMMINS 4x4
    1985 Toyota FJ60 Landcruiser....soon to be powered by a 4bt Cummins
    1985 FWC Grandby Rebuild Thread
    2010 Yamaha WR250R
    2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

I got a little more work done on the propane door. I plan on using e panel in the open square.

-Tyler-
    2010 Yamaha WR250R

you know, they make these new ski and binding set ups where you don't have to do lunge's all the way down the mountain...it's new technology in the last 10 years...still let's you free heel up the hill, but then you don't have to flail back down the hill...

just kidding! i give all my bro's that still tele a lot of crap for it...most of them make it look easy too. 16"!?...must have been a good day!

-darin

Nice drop knee...I'm too old, I need to lock the heel. Nice pics of Texas' favorite local ski hill...just kidding! Cali got a late season dump, too. Mammoth is having another "late to start" year and the local hills are still open. Anxious to see the progress on the camper.
    Richard "Send lawyers, guns, and money..."
    1996 1500 4x4 5.9l, 4.10s pushing 285/75R16, 2" lift with Bilstein 5100s, Snugtop cap, ARB front bumper w/ Warn 15k winch, IPF fogs & LightForce Strikers...oh hell, it's just a truck!

Quote Originally Posted by xxfullsailxx View Post
    you know, they make these new ski and binding set ups where you don't have to do lunge's all the way down the mountain...it's new technology in the last 10 years...still let's you free heel up the hill, but then you don't have to flail back down the hill...

just kidding! i give all my bro's that still tele a lot of crap for it...most of them make it look easy too. 16"!?...must have been a good day!

-darin
    I think you are referring to Randonee bindings, which I heard Randonee means "CAN'T TELEMARK" in French. The funny thing is I have never downhill skied before and I can't make a downhill turn, so I am screwed.
    -Tyler-
    2010 Yamaha WR250R

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Dodge Ram View Post
    Nice drop knee...I'm too old, I need to lock the heel. Nice pics of Texas' favorite local ski hill...just kidding! Cali got a late season dump, too. Mammoth is having another "late to start" year and the local hills are still open. Anxious to see the progress on the camper.
    Man if you think Wolf Creek is Texas' favorite hill you have never been to Ski Apache, Red River, or Angel Fire in New Mexico. Howdy Yall!
    -Tyler-
    2010 Yamaha WR250R

I have always dreamed about hitting every ski hill...especially the small locals... in the western U.S. using a camper. "Dirtbagging" it in the parking lot, etc. Your rig will certainly serve that purpose. Good luck...subscribed. And yes...Angel Fire is popular with the 10-gallon hat bunch. What a bummer to have to drive like hell to get to the closest skiing.
    Richard "Send lawyers, guns, and money..."
    1996 1500 4x4 5.9l, 4.10s pushing 285/75R16, 2" lift with Bilstein 5100s, Snugtop cap, ARB front bumper w/ Warn 15k winch, IPF fogs & LightForce Strikers...oh hell, it's just a truck!

just found and read this. great info! i have a few ???'s

at starting with a $500 camper. based on what is actually being reused, would/could it have been cheaper/easier to start scratch? im not sure if you ever looked into getting canvas or building a roof. this would have made it easier to get the overcab you wanted.

At the point you are now, what changes would you have made? if any?

im looking at putting a used pop-up on a flat bed that i build based on said aquired camper. i had planned to do the tool box to fill the hole trick, especially since i like outside storage for wheeling stuff and fluids. but i figure that any "budget" used camper will most likely need some floor work. so i was gonna delete the little hump and make the floor wider. but not "full" width.

i really like the outer finish of yours! also dig the side entrance!
    NOMO-2011 Nissan Xterra PRO4X. stock

Quote Originally Posted by zukrider View Post
    just found and read this. great info! i have a few ???'s

at starting with a $500 camper. based on what is actually being reused, would/could it have been cheaper/easier to start scratch? im not sure if you ever looked into getting canvas or building a roof. this would have made it easier to get the overcab you wanted.

At the point you are now, what changes would you have made? if any?

im looking at putting a used pop-up on a flat bed that i build based on said aquired camper. i had planned to do the tool box to fill the hole trick, especially since i like outside storage for wheeling stuff and fluids. but i figure that any "budget" used camper will most likely need some floor work. so i was gonna delete the little hump and make the floor wider. but not "full" width.

i really like the outer finish of yours! also dig the side entrance!
    zukrider

You have a good point about $500 camper vs. starting from scratch. Originally I did not intend to get this involved. But I did think about building a new roof and ordering a longer canvas from ATC or FWC. I think new canvas is in the $800 to $1200 range, but I am really not sure. So it is a toss up. The $500 camper also got me a sink, stove, windows, and furnace.

As for changes I really wish my door (I had already purchased for the old version of the camper) opened to the right. If so, I could have located it more toward the rear of the camper on the side. I am also not too happy about the heighth of the ceiling inside the camper. I lost an inch due to the way I built the floor and did not realize it until it was too late. One other thing is that I wish I would have used 1/8 angle aluminum for the frame instead of 1/16 square and reusing existing pieces. Then the e-panels could have been "dropped" into the angle frame from the inside.

This was all a learning expience and if I was going to build a new camper I would attempt to build one from scratch like Westyss's Build. I really dig the hard sided pop-ups and I think his build is one of the best I have seen.

There was also the thought that I didn't want to work on a camper for several years. I want to use it now! So the sooner I get it done the better. I think we will use this one for 5 years and then I will maybe build a new one. Or maybe I will win the lottery and be able to buy something over the top!
    -Tyler-
    2010 Yamaha WR250R

How in the hell can 4 days off go by and nothing gets done?......

Got the propane door installed...needs some touch up on paint.

Looks like a lunar lander I think....I need to slide the jack bodies down. I also need to start pulling the vinyl covering off of the panels.
    -Tyler-
    2010 Yamaha WR250R

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast