Lets start another one

tclaremont

Observer
I picked up a Coleman Versa. Nice, light trailer. Already have a 3500 lb axle ready to mount and will run wheels to match the JK. This trailer is so small that the wheels might look kinda silly on it, though.

For those not familiar with the versa, those are 12 inch wheels on there now, so you can see that the tub is not very deep!

versa.jpg

tclaremont

Observer
Got the new axle. Suffice it to say I messed up. My wheels and tires rub because I measured the offset of my wheels incorrectly. So, in order to move the trailer around the yard, I had to mount the wheels and tires backward!

And, before you ask, I am not sure if wheel spacers are an option. You see, I had a set of 5 x 4.5 hubs on hand, and by chance a set of 4.5 to 5 inch adapters to mount my 5 x 5 wheels. In other words, I am already running adapters and would not feel good about running adapters AND wheel spacers at the same time.

So, I need to determine if there is a 5 on 5 rim out there with a very small amount of backspacing, or a 5 on 4.5 with virtually NO backspacing. Both in a 16 inch size ideally.

Does anyone know what the 70s GM fullsize rims have for backspacing? It would mean running 15 inch wheels on the trailer, but what the heck, I am already screwed.

tireoops.jpg

Last edited:

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
As long as you can get your lug nuts to properly center the wheels, and your valve stem clears everything, there shouldn't be anything wrong with running the wheels backwards.

tclaremont

Observer
I think I would rather write a check than deal with the plethora of people who will ask why my wheels are on backward. It is embarassing enough already! :sombrero:

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I think I would rather write a check than deal with the plethora of people who will ask why my wheels are on backward. It is embarassing enough already! :sombrero:

Yeah, and since you already have the hubs and bearings, it's not like you'd be spending all that much for a new axle. Just swap the parts over from the too-narrow axle and save yourself a few bucks.

You could also look into getting some custom-backspaced wheels, like from 4 Wheel Parts. That's what I did for my Lifetime Tent Trailer when I wanted to upgrade to some 31x10.5 off-road tires. It came with an axle sized for the 14" trailer wheels, so standard automotive wheels were unmountable because the tires severely interfered with the frame. After some careful measurements, I found that a 15x7 wheel with 2.5" backspacing gave me just enough clearance to run the taller, wider tires. Since I needed new wheels anyway, this worked out perfectly because it didn't cost me anything more than standard 3.75" backspaced wheels would have.

tclaremont

Observer
A little more progress. Dug some regular 14 inch trailer wheels out of the shed. While I was there I saw the storage lid and had a thought...

trailerb.jpg

trailerc.jpg

And no, I am not sure I like it, but it is all completely removable, and can even be moved to my other trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior