Mauka2Makai - Our Quest Begins...An 80 Series Adventure

98roamer

Explorer
I would suggest you look into Window screens for this setup if you haven't already. I ran this setup in my Xterra and the first night it ended up raining inside the truck from all the condensation (with the windows closed). After that we, cracked the windows open which allowed the bugs to feast on us all night. But this was in the spring in the humid midwest.

GCRad1

Adventurer
ALOHA & SUBSCRIBED! Welcome to the ExPo tribe and fellow 80-series enthusiast! Great story - keep it coming!

Klierslc

Explorer
Maybe remove the 2nd row permanently and just put the boys in the third row. The mattress *might* fit with them folded up, but they are much easier to remove.....

thecriscokid

Explorer
Will you remove the seats every time you set up camp? The seat brackets are spring loaded and want to move out of alignment of the screw hole when reinstalling. Could be PITA. I have been wondering about bolting a car seat to the floor instead of strapped to the seat, thus removing the need for the rear seats. I doubt the officials would mind

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Thanks everyone for the comments, suggestions, and ideas. All will be kept in mind for potential future use.

I would suggest you look into Window screens for this setup if you haven't already.
98, I am not that concerned with mosquitos out here in the Southwest. I will keep it in mind though and if the need for screens does exist out here I'll make some for the rear slide windows. Similar to how my vanagon had.

ALOHA & SUBSCRIBED! Welcome to the ExPo tribe and fellow 80-series enthusiast! Great story - keep it coming!
GC, My 80 is by far my most favorite vehicle ever! Thank you, I will do my best on updates and providing a story worth reading.

Maybe remove the 2nd row permanently and just put the boys in the third row. The mattress *might* fit with them folded up, but they are much easier to remove.....
Klierslc, That idea actually crossed my mind as well, but then all the gear would be in front of the boys, kinda limiting access aswell. I also removed and sold the seats for a hundred bucks.

I'm really enjoying the pics, especially the Vanagon on the beach! Nice work with the cruiser.
TF, We had a lot of fun with the vanagon. Sure miss those days. New memories to be made with the 80 though.

vcm_s_kf_representative_640x480.jpg

Will you remove the seats every time you set up camp? The seat brackets are spring loaded and want to move out of alignment of the screw hole when reinstalling. Could be PITA. I have been wondering about bolting a car seat to the floor instead of strapped to the seat, thus removing the need for the rear seats. I doubt the officials would mind

If it was just me and my wife I'd leave the seats out, but with two boys we'll need to keep the seats in. I thought of mounting the car seats to the floor, but my boys would not have it. They'd be missing the view during the drive and that's half the fun. Removing the seats is not as difficult or a pain as one would think. I keep the bolt covers off and have put some grease on the threads. 8 bolts its simple. And for installing, the seats are in the upright folded position and the rear bolts are installed first. Then I open and lock the seat down and install the forward bolts. Alignment has not been an issue. Total removal or install time I'd say 4-6 minutes taking it easy. This is definitely a lot more simple than putting a tent together.:)

What kind of air mattress is that?
FSU, It is a airbedz mattress.

Any fellow Expo members have any suggestion on a spot to set up camp that's near a lake or river and no more than 4 hours from LA area?

antiheroxp

There's cougar canyon, oriflame, san jacinto, borrego springs, ocotillo wells, all great places for camping, I grew up camping/backpacking/offroading in all of those places and absolutely LOVE it all!!! If you wanna see some truly amazing sights though, the "upper yosemite wilderness" is a little further than 4hrs north but well worth it, I spent 2 weeks backpacking up there and we saw 2 other people the entire 12 days on the trail, absolutely untouched and unpoisoned by humans. Also bishop is up there not as far, probably about exactly four hours north which is also amazing and less remote which may be safer with the kids, but bishop is full of lakes, streams, trails, ohv trails and pretty family friendly. Also big bear which is right in our backyard(San Diego) has some fantastic easy going trails that were mining roads but still have some of the structures from the aboveground equipment which were a ton of fun exploring, good-looking landcruiser!!!!

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Very nice 80....... subscribed! got my locked 97 80 almost a year ago and in love.:ylsmoke:

benedmonson, After our first outing in the LC I'm speechless... I'm positive we've found our memory maker. I'm blown away with its ability. We do own some special vehicles. Thank you.

There's cougar canyon, oriflame, san jacinto, borrego springs, ocotillo wells, all great places for camping, I grew up camping/backpacking/offroading in all of those places and absolutely LOVE it all!!! If you wanna see some truly amazing sights though, the "upper yosemite wilderness" is a little further than 4hrs north but well worth it, I spent 2 weeks backpacking up there and we saw 2 other people the entire 12 days on the trail, absolutely untouched and unpoisoned by humans. Also bishop is up there not as far, probably about exactly four hours north which is also amazing and less remote which may be safer with the kids, but bishop is full of lakes, streams, trails, ohv trails and pretty family friendly. Also big bear which is right in our backyard(San Diego) has some fantastic easy going trails that were mining roads but still have some of the structures from the aboveground equipment which were a ton of fun exploring, good-looking landcruiser!!!!

antiheroxp, Thank you for the suggestions. We're going to just start crossing places off from your list. Anza Borrego... we'll be back when the flowers bloom.

:)

brentbba

Explorer
Coyote/Sheep Canyon. My favorite campsite in the Anza Borrego area. Usually very quiet up there as the rock garden climbs keep most of the riff raff out. BTW - if you don't yet have a solution for the 2nd row foot well for your sleeping platform, I've got your solution sitting in my garage. I did exactly what you did to begin with for sleeping arrangements in the back of my '94. 3rd row seats were already out and as you mentioned early on the 2nd row seats are cake to remove. I took a piece of plywood and a few pieces of 2x4 for feet and built a small extension of the floor to cover the foot well. It bolts on very snugly to the existing holes. Room underneath is great for storing stuff too. I now have a drawer system and extension back there so it's gathering dust in my garage. Yours for the drive to south OC. Painted gray to match my interior.

Great write up/story and love your cruiser find!

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Coyote/Sheep Canyon. My favorite campsite in the Anza Borrego area. Usually very quiet up there as the rock garden climbs keep most of the riff raff out. BTW - if you don't yet have a solution for the 2nd row foot well for your sleeping platform, I've got your solution sitting in my garage. I did exactly what you did to begin with for sleeping arrangements in the back of my '94. 3rd row seats were already out and as you mentioned early on the 2nd row seats are cake to remove. I took a piece of plywood and a few pieces of 2x4 for feet and built a small extension of the floor to cover the foot well. It bolts on very snugly to the existing holes. Room underneath is great for storing stuff too. I now have a drawer system and extension back there so it's gathering dust in my garage. Yours for the drive to south OC. Painted gray to match my interior.

Great write up/story and love your cruiser find!

brentbba, That's exactly where we were... Coyote Canyon. It was very quiet and not a single light source to be seen. Thank you for the offer on the platform, our solution is using 2.5 gallon arrowhead water containers to fill the space. Worked very well.:)

IMG_4445.jpg

brentbba

Explorer
Very nice! You pegged the reasons I love it up there. NO people, NO light polution from anywhere so the stars are always spectacular.

TwinCruiser

Observer
Great write up + pics, Mauka. Those were some nice rigs you had.

Very inspirational post...glad to read up on a father's quest to enjoy the outdoors with their wife and children.

I have 3 kids...and the 80 was purchased specifically to enjoy the outdoors with them and my wife. It is not a DD.

I also have a '65 FJ-40. The previous owner shipped it to HW where it lived for 3 years.
In fact, the HW inspection decal is still on the rear bumper.

This is a pic when I first purchased it. Note the Hawaiian theme seat covers.

Any chance you've seen it on the Islands??

IMG00069-20100508-1317.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles