Swingout tire carrier for the Eagle

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
I've wanted to do this for a few years now. I was carrying a fullsize spare on the roof rack but wanted to make an offroad bumper with a swingout carrier, recovery points and receiver hitch. This is my first attempt at metal fabrication. I bought a welder a few months ago and have been practicing with it. I started with a couple of clevis mounts from comp4x4.com and had them welded into a 2x6 rectangular tubing. I had that done at a welding shop since I wasn't comfortable welding the tubing to the 3/4" mounts. This project took a lot more time than I anticipated but I believe was worth the effort.
AMCEaglerearbumper1.gif

AMCEaglerearbumper2.jpg

AMCEaglerearbumper5.jpg

AMCEaglerearbumper6.jpg

Here's the pivot. A one inch solid bar was welded in to the rectangular tubing. I drilled a hole down the center and 2 cross way to make a path for grease. I drilled and tapped the bolt for a zerk fitting. I still need to add 2 bolts to the strap that is a stop for the swingout.
AMCEaglerearbumper3.jpg

Here is the T bolt I made to secure it.
AMCEAGLErearbumper4.jpg

Now I have to make a front bumper to match. :safari-rig:

bob91yj

Resident **************
Nice project! Love the car, I almost forgot those even existed!

My only concern is your hinge. If there is any "shake/vibration" at all going down the road, you may have issues with the hinge suffering metal fatigue and breaking. I've seen it happen with 1" trailer spindles are used as hinges.

DrMoab

Explorer
You don't have a write up anywhere about other modifications to your car do you?

I've always had a soft spot for them. Saw one on Pritchett canyon in Moab once with a solid front axle and 35's.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Nice project! Love the car, I almost forgot those even existed!

My only concern is your hinge. If there is any "shake/vibration" at all going down the road, you may have issues with the hinge suffering metal fatigue and breaking. I've seen it happen with 1" trailer spindles are used as hinges.
The 1" solid rod goes all the way through the 2x6 tubing. The way it is secured with the t bolt, there is no vibration. Where the DOM tubing slides over the 1" shaft, there is very little clearance. Just enough for a little grease. Not to mention it is a little 215/75/15. I hope it will be fine.
You don't have a write up anywhere about other modifications to your car do you?

I've always had a soft spot for them. Saw one on Pritchett canyon in Moab once with a solid front axle and 35's.
I might have a little info here somewhere but it's an 86 AMC Eagle Wagon. It has a 4.2l 6 cyl. with a Jeep 4.0l head and Comp Cams camshaft. I installed a Chrysler 8.25 rear from a 98 XJ and had 3.07 gears to match installed up front in the factory IFS. I also installed a NP229 TC from a Grand Wagoneer to get a low range. It currently is carbed but will be get fuel injection soon. I tossed around the solid axle idea for a couple years but decided to stay with the IFS for now.

Last edited:

truck mechanic

Adventurer
NICE! I have an 86 wagon in the yard just wating till I finish the Scout, then its on to the eagle. Loved those cars when they were new. finaly got one. just need to get it up and running. Neve thought about a swing away on it but I love the way it looks on yours!
Paul

tbared

Life participant
Dude an EAGLE, awesome the first crossover gotta love em. Much respect, used to be all over northern wisconsin till DOT found out table salt keeps road clear for the yuppies :victory:

Paladin

Banned
Love the Eagle. I haven't seen one of those in 15-20 years! Wanted one when I was 16, but there were none left on the road due to the salt.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
I love that set up, I really want your ride! It looks great!

Thanks! I bought it from a guy in Boulder when I used to live in Littleton, CO. A buddy of mine lives in Castle Rock, he's a Douglas County deputy.

Hey on a side note, I need a right tail lens for mine, do you have any leads on parts?
Thanx Paul

I don't have one, but you can go to www.amceaglenest.com. There is usually someone parting one out or you can post in the wanted section.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior