Need Advice: 2003 Sprinter, 150K

taylorRichie

Adventurer
Hi All,

I have an opportunity to get a 2003 Sprinter, with ~150K miles, for $18K It has had a decent 'touring' conversion done, nice leather bucket seats (4) a bench that folds into the bed and a pop up table.

My first question,

1)how does this price sound?

Main reason I'm considering the sprinter is space (2 dogs, a daughter and a wife :)) Excellent Fuel Economy, and good possibilities for future modification, full RV/Camper conversion.

And more questions:

2) How do they do in snow? I have a steep steep drive that even challenges our AWD Jeep, and my Isuzu Vehicross.

3) Is there a limited Slip or locker available? I read that it was an option on Roadtrek conversions.

4) What is the real world MPG on a loaded rig, highway trip.

5) Anything I should look at when I test drive? Known issues?

6) What's a realistic life expectency of the engine? Properly maintained?

7) How do they do offroad being 2WD? Nothing crazy just fire roads, unpaved terrain for camping etc.

8) Are small lifts available? Just to clear around a 30" tire?

9) 4x4 conversions... I can only find year old information about a stop placed on 4WD conversion parts being shipped to the US, is anyone else doing conversions? What about more traditional conversions Axle swaps, U-Joint offroad style?

Realistically this will(would) be more of a family travel mobile. And not so much an expedition rig, though I'd love it to get there... maybe someday.

Thanks for all your help!!

Richie

taylorRichie

Adventurer
Oh oh...

and BioDiesel... anyone running it? Recommended filters or modifications to make it reliably run Bio? There is a biodiesel station here locally.

Is fuel mileage the same with BioDiesel?

dsw4x4

Adventurer
I sure cannot answer all of your questions but I can add this.
The price seems like a good deal you cannot touch one around here for that price unless it is a cargo with high miles.
I have heard people getting 21 to 23 miles to the gallon with a load.
Properly maintained I would say 300k should be no problem with normal maintence. I see them for sale with that mileage and they claim no issues.
I have heard advanced 4wheel (I think) did a conversion but it cost 20g.
Sounds like a very good deal though.
Good luck with it.
Derek

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Taylor

I think these Sprinter vans are fantastic. I have seen them all over the world and I predict that more and more travelers will "adopt" them in the future.

However, $18K for a 2003 with 150K is a bit high in my opinion - depending of the model (short/long base, previous usage)

Here are examples:

2004 with 111000 miles for $15K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004...3964944?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c1bb58410

2003 with 136500 for $14500

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/2316523526.html

2003 with 97000 miles only for $19K

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/2364766404.html

or here for $3K more ($21K) you get a 2006 with only 51000 miles

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006...8537247?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20b9587b9f

check these links for more samples:

http://www.allofcraigs.com/2009/08/...&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_qdr=a&as_epq=&as_eq=#2166

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Tr...y=1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_sop=Year_ASC&_sc=1

DKB2GO

Observer
Get in touch with Mike (MHISCOX) on the portal. He's a wealth of information on Sprinters in North America. He has three very detailed threads on the buidout of his own Sprinter. It's worth your time to read through those threads to get an idea of what is possible. As I've researched and explored options for my own setup, the T1N Sprinter has remained a contender.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
speaking of Sprinter, check out this one that his on his way to Panama Passage...

http://www.sprinterlife.com/

IMG_1714.JPG

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Get in touch with Mike (MHISCOX) on the portal. He's a wealth of information on Sprinters in North America.
And here, right on cue is MHISCOX . . . OK, maybe a little late. :)

1) The price is good if you like the conversion, not so good if you were going to strip it back to a cargo van. If you're happy with the way it is, it seems a good deal.

2) With no modifications, they are lame in snow. Those who put on Blizzaks or the equivalent and get some weight over the rear wheels report doing well. Still, that's not to say you're drive wouldn't be too much of a challenge.

3) No locker or LSD available that I know of in North America.

4) The 21 to 23 mpg is doable. My rig is right at max GVWR and has some non-aerodynamic stuff hanging off, and I generally get 20. At lot depends, not surprisingly, on what speed you want to drive at. If you like cruising at 70 or better, you'll pay for the privilege.

5) There are several known issues, some minor and some very major. Given the potential expense and the relative shortage of good repair sites and technicians, it's very important to check things out and to ensure that the maintenance has be carried out faithfully by competent people. Fortunately, you have a friend in this thread:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5174&highlight=inspection

Be sure to check out all the points, perhaps even paying for an inspection.

6) We have lots of reports from drivers for FEdEx, DHL, etc. and various expeditors of their T1Ns doing 300-400K without major issues. At the same time, there've also been engines give up the ghost before 200K. Some of it has to do with luck, some has to do with having competent service people and a lot has to do with regular maintenance and inspection.

7) I've written quite a bit about this, the short of it being that the Sprinter is excellent for unpaved roads, and my Sprinter was built specifically for the sort of off-pavement work it sounds like you're shooting for. But when the road turns to mush from rain or snow, the 2WD Sprinter suffers. I'm my case, I carry a lot of recovery gear. You could also make sure to go with another vehicle, or carry a satellite phone. The bottom line is that the Sprinter is an exceptional off-pavement rig in good weather, but not up to coping with poor conditions in stock form.

A lesser concern is that, becausse of pretty high tire pressures, you can find washboard roads that make a Sprinter unhappy. In my experience, you can often find a speed where it's not too bad, but often that speed is faster than normal, rather than slower, which might not be prudent. You can help with airing down if you have a source for filling the tires back up.

8) You can do a lift, but there's nothing very well sorted out. However, a 215/85x16 will fit without a lift, and it's 30.6 inches around.

9) Not much option for a quick fix. The Sprinter is different enough in it's packaging that it is difficult to make everything work by doing the normal kinds of conversion mods. Salem-Kroger did produce several using standard components, but reports on the handling of the converted vehicles is mixed, and they are now out of business. John Bendit at Upscale Automotive will soon have a conversion available to replace the Oberaigner-based conversion MBz told them they couldn't continue and you can check with him regarding progress. However, at upwards of $25K (more than your proposed van) you really have to have a serious need for the 4WD.

Let me know if you have other questions.

taylorRichie

Adventurer
Mike thanks so much for taking the time!! Your vehicle is the one that inspired me to look into this further. The 2WD winter issue is still a major concern for me, however I have a great backup vehicle for Daily Driver winter use. Wish there was a simple fix, and LSD would go a long long way.

Thanks Everyone else who responded, this is by far the most helpful group of people I have encountered on the interweb. (well Vehicross.info is equally as good, but vehicle specific)

Guess I have some thinking to do...

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Guess I have some thinking to do...
Good luck with making that decision. The vehicle you're looking at is pretty special, what with being a standard-roof semi-camper; most go for the standing height of the high-roof model. But the lower roof looks better, gets better fuel mileage and will fit more places.

Assuming all is in order mechanically, I think your decision comes down to how much you and the family like the conversion. There's been some considerable money put into it, but it's not clear whether it'll be appropriate for your use. (Guess it partly depends whether those two dogs are big or small.) If it works for you, it would be a fine classier-than-a-minivan multipurpose family hauler.

One other thing to think about . . . that van doesn't have rear air conditioning. In hot summer weather, with a lot of glass area and limited ventilation, the Sprinter's AC will likely keep the front cool but not be help much with the back. May or may not make a difference.

1sweetvan

Adventurer
Carry chains and learn to put them on properly. Once you do that, you should be able to go anywhere a Sprinter should go.

turbolab

Observer
i drove an 07 for work and when it snowed it stayed parked, the ESP makes them junk in the snow even with chains the only way to get around was to pull the fuse to dissable the ESP. They also rust like you wouldent belive there is not one square foot on the van that dosent have rust coming out from under the paint and they dont salt the roads here, one plus is the milage. The company i work for has been try to sell this van for a year for 18 000 candian with less then a 120 000km (74564.5miles) still sits around.

turbolab

Observer
forgot to add we have 2 of them the one not for sale is one its 3rd rear diff and its not over loaded with a 150 xxxkm, the one for sale left me stranded in a customers drive way because the fancy key and ignition took a dump.

I work at a shop and we service a fleet of these. they put on about 1,000-1,500 miles per week, a lot of it is city driving in chicago. The highest mileage one has 335,000 on it and it still going strong. all its needed is shocks and oil changes. on the newer body style, we get a few in with over 200,000 on them and all run great, however we have had to replaced leaf springs in the rear numerous times as the pin the locates it on the axle has broken. other than that, basic maintenance and they run for a long time, we run full synthetic in every one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles