Kamparoo Project - New Frame and Axle, Extra Space, Advice Needed

mmuthart

Observer
Any headway?

Yes! Thanks for asking!

The new rack for the top of the Kamparoo is mostly done. The new rack needed to be taller so my legs would reach the ground for when the top becomes the floor when in the option position. I opted for aluminum for the weight savings. It's big as you can see. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out (I didn't build it). I'll probably spend some time smoothing out the welds and probably powder coat at a later date when I've decided it needs no further modification. It mounts to the edge of the top using 5 mounting feet per side. The bolts attach to the 1" square tube frame inside the top of the Kamparoo; it's not going anywhere. The aluminum angle that cradles the table will support the middle of the rack when there's a load in it.

So I've got a Moab trip planned in 3 weeks and the plan is to bring this. I NEED TO POWDER COAT THE FRAME/AXLE SOON!

Here's my big concern - I don't want to get it back from powder coating and decide I need something else welded to the frame. So, question for all of you, WHAT ELSE?

I've already got welded to the frame:

- 2" receiver in back
- 15 large chain links welded to frame for tie-down points.
- large handle welded to tongue to make moving around easier
- shock mounts not yet installed, but will be there soon.
- spare tire winch

EDIT: I have no immediate plans for a permenant water tank secured under the trailer. I have room for a 'battery box' at the front of the tongue and may go down this road in the future with running water, shower, etc. Right now, a 5 gallon jerry can of water and solar shower will do the trick.

Attachments

• KampBuild9_19_7.jpg
    KampBuild9_19_7.jpg
    972.5 KB · Views: 133
  • KambBuild9_19_1.jpg
    KambBuild9_19_1.jpg
    1,006.7 KB · Views: 137
  • KampBuild9_19_2.jpg
    KampBuild9_19_2.jpg
    932.5 KB · Views: 138
  • KampBuild9_19_3.jpg
    KampBuild9_19_3.jpg
    954.9 KB · Views: 128
  • KampBuild9_19_4.jpg
    KampBuild9_19_4.jpg
    867.3 KB · Views: 128
  • KampBuild9_19_5.jpg
    KampBuild9_19_5.jpg
    984.8 KB · Views: 121
  • KampBuild9_19_6.jpg
    KampBuild9_19_6.jpg
    884.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

slawson2000

For what it is worth...

It seems like you have what you need on the frame, I think the question you need to ask your self is what you want. Perhaps a couple outings with the new setup prior to coating it might be beneficial. Some people have added 2" hitches at different points around the trailer to use as mount points for everything from an extraction point to bbq holder to light stand. Others have added mounting tabs underneath, just in case.

I would assume you have done your homework, but when I get to building my trailer, I think I am going to stay with paint instead of powder coat. It is simply more easily repaired when it gets chipped or scratched.

Question. How heavy is that lid? With the rack and original lid, I would think it is pretty heavy. What is the configuration of the original lid? Did you consider adjustable feet on the rack so it you flip it over on uneven ground it would be supported?

It is coming along sweet!

Last edited:

mmuthart

Observer
For what it is worth...

It seems like you have what you need on the frame, I think the question you need to ask your self is what you want. Perhaps a couple outings with the new setup prior to coating it might be beneficial. Some people have added 2" hitches at different points around the trailer to use as mount points for everything from an extraction point to bbq holder to light stand. Others have added mounting tabs underneath, just in case.

I would assume you have done your homework, but when I get to building my trailer, I think I am going to stay with paint instead of powder coat. It is simply more easily repaired when it gets chipped or scratched.

Question. How heavy is that lid? With the rack and original lid, I would think it is pretty heavy. What is the configuration of the original lid? Did you consider adjustable feet on the rack so it you flip it over on uneven ground it would be supported?

It is coming along sweet!

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I've read the bad comments on powder coating but I have another trailer that was factory primered and painted and it just does not hold up. You literally would need to respray the impact areas after each trip. Someday, I'd like to strip that trailer down and have it powder coated. So lets say the powder coat chips, which it will, I can touch up it with rattle can just like I could a regular paint job. If I don't get to quick enough and it starts to rust, I take that area down to bare metal and spray with rattle can. The powder coat is more durable than a spray job and should not as easily chip off.

What I'd really like to do, after the powder coat, is to have those 'impact areas' sprayed with a bed liner; may just do it myself with an Al's Liner type product. Powder coated then sprayed with Al's Liner - that should hold up pretty good.

I'd love to try it out a few times to make sure I'm not missing something before commiting to powder coat, but I would hate to have it rain and really get that whole rust thing under way. Also, the aluminum diamond plate on the flat surfaces will be rivetted to the top of the frame. I want to powder coat frame then rivet diamond plate.

The lid with it's new rack is still managable by one person; that's exactly why I chose aluminum. A steel rack the same size would have made it WAY to heavy. The original rack was made with steel and was pretty small. It was hinged at the rear as to act as a 'lever' when opening (the rack swung open first and helped pull up the lid with it's weight.) I abondaned that idea with the new rack. The new rack does have ajustable feet for when it's flipped open; they are installed in the first picture only.

I saw that thread about the extra receivers for other goodies. I could see some of the smaller receivers (1.25"?) installed elsewhere just in case, but additional 2" receivers seems way too much.

Well, I've got a week to mull it over some more, than it's off to powder coating.

slawson2000

You may want to check this out. I had it on my old boat trailer. It worked well.

http://www.por15.com/

Oh, thanks for the other information. I was actually wondering what the lid/floor was made of itself. Is it a frame with sheetmetal? some kind of ply composite?

Last edited:

mmuthart

Observer
You may want to check this out. I had it on my old boat trailer. It worked well.

http://www.por15.com/

Oh, thanks for the other information. I was actually wondering what the lid/floor was made of itself. Is it a frame with sheetmetal? some kind of ply composite?

The top has a 1" square tube steel frame, plywood, and some kind of vinyl that tops it off and makes the top waterproof. I've used plenty of Por15, but hadn't considered it for the smooth, unrusted steel my frame is made of .

mmuthart

Observer
Looking nice. Are you planning on adding a Kitchen? Didn't see one

In my mind it's a kitchen, but not as fancy as others. I'll have a table, fresh water source, propane tank, propane stove, and a cooler. Kitchen, right?

How did the balance of the trailer work out, loaded and unloaded? I am thinking of something in the same configuration.

I believe the decision to keep the axle where it is, was the right choice. Hasn't been fully loaded yet or fully assembled for that matter, so no real world towing experience yet, but soon!

Powder coat tomorrow morning! Hope I didn't forget anything. I added my mounts for the shock absorbers (pic.). Added tabs for all things that will be mounted to the trailer (propane, AT can holder, motorcycle front and rear tire channels, ammo cans). Last thing I added were some tabs for mud flaps I don't have yet.

I'll be loading it up for a trip to Moab next weekend. It's won't be getting an off-road test this trip, but we'll see how she tows and how it affects my MPG's. I'll hopefully find a place I can weigh it.

Attachments

• Trailer1-10_2.JPG
    Trailer1-10_2.JPG
    999.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Trailer2-10_2.JPG
    Trailer2-10_2.JPG
    900.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Trailer3-10_2.JPG
    Trailer3-10_2.JPG
    938.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Trailer4-10_2.JPG
    Trailer4-10_2.JPG
    961.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Trailer6-10_2.JPG
    Trailer6-10_2.JPG
    948.4 KB · Views: 75

mmuthart

Observer
Powder Coated turned out great. Only time will tell how durable it is.

Attachments

• PowderCoat_1.JPG
    PowderCoat_1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 61

mmuthart

Observer
Towed the Kamparoo to Moab about a month ago but didn't ended up even using it. It tows great on pavement. Didn't get a chance to weigh it either.

So I did manage to get out last weekend and use if the first time. Camped along the S. Fork of the Boise River for a couple nights. Couple of friends did some fly fishing; I enjoyed the sun, scenery and got a short hike and mountain bike ride in.

Kamparoo worked great. Action Packer #1 on the front has all my lantern, stove, dishes and other supplies in it. Action Packer #2 on the front carried fire wood, shovel and ax.

There's 2 bike mounts on the rack. I used the rack to carry my bike, a couple camp chairs and a 3rd smaller action packer.

Those are my buddies: Hugh in the chair and Brad fishing for Trout.

Attachments

• S.FrkBoiseFall2011_1.JPG
    S.FrkBoiseFall2011_1.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 191
  • S.FrkBoiseFall2011_2.JPG
    S.FrkBoiseFall2011_2.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 208
  • S.FrkBoiseFall2011_3.JPG
    S.FrkBoiseFall2011_3.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 217
  • S.FrkBoiseFall2011_4.JPG
    S.FrkBoiseFall2011_4.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 163
  • S.FrkBoiseFall2011_5.JPG
    S.FrkBoiseFall2011_5.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 149
  • S.FrkBoiseFall2011_6.JPG
    S.FrkBoiseFall2011_6.JPG
    304.4 KB · Views: 168
  • S.FrkBoiseFall2011_7.JPG
    S.FrkBoiseFall2011_7.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 135
  • S.FrkBoiseFall2011_8.JPG
    S.FrkBoiseFall2011_8.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

tyguy

Wow... that is a very impressive trailer. I just picked up a kamparoo myself... I will be doing some mods, but dont have the skills to go as far as this beautiful trailer.

mmuthart

Observer
I've been working on the Kamparoo lately, thought I'd share the mods. I'm getting it ready for a trip this May with 4 other guys to mountain bike the White Rim Trail in Canyon Lands, NP. The Roo will be carrying 5 bikes and lots of gear. I'm concerned about the extra weight. Last summer, on the first big trip with the Roo, I ened up 'flipping' one of the shackles; the spring flattened out too much pushing the shackle all the way up against the frame. I had one full size leaf added to each leaf pack. Even so, I don't want to take chances again and really like the flex-ability that air bags provide. So I've added a set of Firestone airbags. They are their lightest duty set they offer; they add about 800 lbs. of carrying capacity each when inflated to the max of 100 PSI. I purchased the airbags, upper brackets, and inflation kit from ridetech.com. I had the lower brackets custom made.

Next, you can see my cardboard mock-up of a tongue box. I'll have the box custom made in aluminum. It will fit my Portable Power Pack.

Attachments

• KamparooAirBags_1.jpg
    KamparooAirBags_1.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 42
  • KamparooAirBags_2.jpg
    KamparooAirBags_2.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 37
  • KamparooAirBags_3.jpg
    KamparooAirBags_3.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 35
  • KamparooTongueBox.jpg
    KamparooTongueBox.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 32

mmuthart

Observer
The Kamparoo spent 4 days on the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands NP. Along with the '05 diesel Excursion, the setup supported 5 riders very nicely. All went exceptionally well on the trip with no breakdowns except that the showerhead on the EcoTemp L5 decided to start leaking. You can see the finished tongue box in the pics along with a box for the driver side fender of the trailer. I had the aluminum boxes custom made by a company in Oregon and am extremely pleased with the outcome.

Now that I have a tongue box with battery on the trailer, I'll be looking for a 20 gallon or so water tank for under the trailer. I'll then move my portable hot water setup to the trailer. At some point, I'll also have another custom tongue box made to house my fridge.

The weather was so nice in Canyonlands, the Kamparoo tent was never deployed; simply slept on a cot under the stars for 3 nights.

P.S. -a female outfitter, named Maggie, approached my group at the end of the trail and checked out the trailer and asked some questions. She said I had the second nicest trailer on the trail, right behind hers. :)

Attachments

• WhiteRimKamp_1.jpg
    WhiteRimKamp_1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 57
  • WhiteRimKamp_2.JPG
    WhiteRimKamp_2.JPG
    504.8 KB · Views: 53
  • WhiteRimKamp_3.JPG
    WhiteRimKamp_3.JPG
    332.7 KB · Views: 79
  • WhiteRimKamp_4.jpg
    WhiteRimKamp_4.jpg