Kamparoo Project - New Frame and Axle, Extra Space, Advice Needed

mmuthart

Observer
More adventures in the Kamparoo this past weekend. Spent 3 nights at Deadwood Res. in the Boise National Forest. We woke up to an inch of slush Friday morning; it quickly melted. It did expose a couple of leaks in the Kamparoo tent. Any suggestions for the best product to waterproof tent canvas?

This time the Kamparoo carried 2 dirtbikes and 2 bicycles. Canoe on the Excursion roof as well as a third dirt bike on a hitch mounted carrier. No problems blasting down wash board dirt roads at 40 MPH. Everythings stayed fastened down tight to the trailer and tow rig.

I've been wanting to use my portable hot water setup to create a hot tub of sorts. So we heated some lake water in the canoe and enjoyed a soak. The water got warm but it ran out of propane before it reached the 'hot' level. The next morning we used it to pump all the water out of the canoe. The little 12v battery in the box handled the task.

Attachments

• Deadwood_3.JPG
    Deadwood_3.JPG
    308.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Deadwood_1.jpg
    Deadwood_1.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 50
  • Deadwood_2.jpg
    Deadwood_2.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Deadwood_4.JPG
    Deadwood_4.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 48

Xrunner

Explorer
Great build, thanks for posting all the details!

Any updates or things you would have done differently after using the trailer for a season?

mmuthart

Observer
Great build, thanks for posting all the details!

Any updates or things you would have done differently after using the trailer for a season?

Hello Xrunner,

You are very welcome. I've been tossing around the idea of attaching a spare leaf spring to the underside of the trailer. A couple studs welded in the right spot would have made it simple to bolt up the spare leaf. Since I had the frame powder coated, welding at this point is a little painful. I'll figure something out; I may sacrafice some powdercoat, not sure yet.

I had a trailer tire blow-out on the way to Moab last month. Under 10 minutes to jack the trailer up (using the welded-on support jacks at the back), lower the spare, get it swapped, and the hang the bad one back up. I've got 2 new Maxxis Bighorns (255/85r16) waiting to go on.

I took off the original Kamparoo supplied tail/brake light assemblies and installed some nice LED one's; I'll get a pic later. Working on installing a USB charger in the trailer for phones. Still tossing around the idea of a water tank underneath.

Not much else in works. I enjoy the simplicity and light weight of the setup. The raised aluminum rack on top with it's round bars have proven to be very functional when it comes to securing gear. The tube is perfect for ractchet straps and attachment points are everywhere making it infinitely configurable.

Looking forward to your upcoming build.

Attachments

• Moab2014.JPG
    Moab2014.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Moab2014_2.JPG
    Moab2014_2.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members