Warning about SPOT Connect.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Hey guys and gals, this only pertains to you if you own or plan on using a SPOT Connect device (the one the goes with a Smartphone).

I just got back from rafting the Grand Canyon and was exited to have my new SPOT Connect and Droid phone along for the ride in a Pelican box so I could send my wife messages and such. I love being able to send custom texts to her when I'm away somewhere wild. Anyhow, After I got "Off the grid" and into no cell /3G world I fired up the Spot Connect and was gonna let her know that I was safetly in the canyon and starting the trip, and then I realized that even though I downloaded the SPOT APP to my Droid, and even though the SPOT was working properly I couldn't send any message because I forgot one HUGE step in the set up process.

I forgot to "Log In" FROM the Droid App into the Spot system..and you must have internet access (from the Droid) to do this!!! Once you log in and it hooks up with the SPOT then you are OK to dvie into the wilderness, but once you get into the void, thees no way of getting the system to work until your back to the world.
My hope is nobody else makes this huge mistake. For me it was a minor inconveniance, but who knows what may happen in the future with someone else. This critical step is not outlined or emphasized in the SPOT instructions at least from what I've seen, although only I can take the blame, really, for not doing a systems check first.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Hey guys and gals, this only pertains to you if you own or plan on using a SPOT Connect device (the one the goes with a Smartphone).

I just got back from rafting the Grand Canyon and was exited to have my new SPOT Connect and Droid phone along for the ride in a Pelican box so I could send my wife messages and such. I love being able to send custom texts to her when I'm away somewhere wild. Anyhow, After I got "Off the grid" and into no cell /3G world I fired up the Spot Connect and was gonna let her know that I was safetly in the canyon and starting the trip, and then I realized that even though I downloaded the SPOT APP to my Droid, and even though the SPOT was working properly I couldn't send any message because I forgot one HUGE step in the set up process.

I forgot to "Log In" FROM the Droid App into the Spot system..and you must have internet access (from the Droid) to do this!!! Once you log in and it hooks up with the SPOT then you are OK to dvie into the wilderness, but once you get into the void, thees no way of getting the system to work until your back to the world.
My hope is nobody else makes this huge mistake. For me it was a minor inconveniance, but who knows what may happen in the future with someone else. This critical step is not outlined or emphasized in the SPOT instructions at least from what I've seen, although only I can take the blame, really, for not doing a systems check first.

Thanks! This is great to know! I'm planning on getting one of these in the next week, with a short backpack trip over Memorial Day weekend - I'd hate to find out the hard way like you!

jaxs1984

Adventurer
I dont have one but was wondering what if your phone breaks/lost during an adventure can you still signal for help from the spot device itself?

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
I dont have one but was wondering what if your phone breaks/lost during an adventure can you still signal for help from the spot device itself?

Yes you can. It has the traditional SPOT features, just extra ones due to the interface.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader

The only thing the device can do if your phone breaks or dies is the 911 feature., There's no tracking or "check in" stuff in that case.

Dlak

The only thing the device can do if your phone breaks or dies is the 911 feature., There's no tracking or "check in" stuff in that case.

So if your phone runs out of batteries and you boot it back up after charging it in the wilderness your out of luck since you need to get back to cell range to re-register?

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
So if your phone runs out of batteries and you boot it back up after charging it in the wilderness your out of luck since you need to get back to cell range to re-register?

Standby on that I will check right now

Fireman78

Expedition Leader

Ok so I powered down then back up the phone and the app still is connected and everything is cool. There are four tabs on the SPOT app, just stay away from the "settings" tab and don't "disconnect or logout" I guess.

Dlak

Ok so I powered down then back up the phone and the app still is connected and everything is cool. There are four tabs on the SPOT app, just stay away from the "settings" tab and don't "disconnect or logout" I guess.

Cool thanks for the quick update!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior