Conqueror Water Tanks

XJBANKER

Explorer
Does anyone have any ideas on how to monitor how much water you have left in your tanks on a trip? I am always thinking about how much water I am using but never know how much is left. I try to use one tank at a time, but then worry about the off balance weight. What do others due to keep track of your water usage?

XJBANKER

Explorer
I was thinking something like an older model car fuel gage. New of course but using that concept somehow.

Honu

lost on the mainland
nope
just use it try to fill it when I can on longer trips ?

would like something simple though

XJBANKER

Explorer
It would be cool to be able to incorporate a gage into the fill caps like on a snowmobile.

af06b30eafb2b1e979ad89fd017b.jpg

I wonder if one could be modified to be longer to work. Maybe replace the necks with US threads so cap replacement would not be a problem.

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
cool but that would need lots of mods on a base camp to reach down the neck, and one side is smaller than the other

JeepFreak21

Observer
RV tanks have little button sized sensors that are screwed into the tank every 2 inches or so. When water is touching the button, it completes the circuit and sends a signal to the monitor. Most monitors are just a series of LEDs in a vertical line - each LED represents a button sensor on the tank. So, if the bottom 4 LEDs are lit up, you know you have 8" of water in your tank (your math will vary depending on the size of your tank and how you space out your sensors).

It's common for the sensors to go out, so any decent RV repair show should have many on hand. As for the monitor, I think it would be easy enough to build one if you didn't want to buy a ready-made unit. Check out your local RV dealership/repair shop.

HTH,
Billy

Nipple Twister

Tank water level

What about using a "sight tube"? On the discharge outlet tee off and extend a clear plastic tube vertical to above the tank level, it will show whats in the tank and after a few test runs you can gauge it from there.......my two cents....

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
What about using a "sight tube"? On the discharge outlet tee off and extend a clear plastic tube vertical to above the tank level, it will show whats in the tank and after a few test runs you can gauge it from there.......my two cents....

Now there is a cool simple idea. :wings:

My past KK has a bar type sensor installed inside the tank that was wired to an LED display. As the water level dropped the LEDs would go out indicating the level. It worked great but I like the sight tube idea even better.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
How does a sight tube work?

It's just a clear tube that attaches near the bottom of the tank and they runs vertically up the side. Water seeks it's own level so the height of the water you see in the tube exactly matches the water level inside the tank.

DrMoab

Explorer
I was going to suggest a sight tube too.

Steve, when we are out next weekend lets go over your trailer and see if it's feasable. Basically, you would need to tap into the bottom of your tank with a fitting, hook a clear hose that runs up the side of your tank (maybe on the outside of the trailer?) and then another fitting in the top. As you fill the tanks, the water level will go up the tube just as it does in the tank. All you need to do is look at the level in the clear tube to see how much water you have. Clear as mud.

racingjason

Adventurer
Hi Steve,

Just go old school and use a marked wooden dowel as a dipstick. Load the tank 10 L (2.5 gal) at a time and mark the stick and it should give you a pretty good idea (just make sure the trailer is level). Cheap, simple and guaranteed not to leak.

JeepFreak21

Observer
I was going to suggest a sight tube too.

Steve, when we are out next weekend lets go over your trailer and see if it's feasable. Basically, you would need to tap into the bottom of your tank with a fitting, hook a clear hose that runs up the side of your tank (maybe on the outside of the trailer?) and then another fitting in the top. As you fill the tanks, the water level will go up the tube just as it does in the tank. All you need to do is look at the level in the clear tube to see how much water you have. Clear as mud.

Hope it doesn't get hooked on a bush or anything! Although, you'd know how much water was in the tank at that point! HAHA!
Billy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz