2002 Dodge Ram 2500 -buying tips?

I personally would not buy a vehicle with that many miles if it's a gasoline motor. Even though the "bottom" end was rebuilt. I would get reciepts, and look around, and be sure it was a reputable shop.

As far as the transmission issue, I find it sketchy. Ask him why he did it, who did it, and get a reputable transmission shop to look it over and be sure it is a 47re, and that everything if working fine. Also bring them a case of beer in advance to give them the incentive to do a thurough (sp?) job.

I wouldn't buy that vehicle imo. Only part of the motor rebuilt, sketchy tranny issues, so my vote's a no-no.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd pass if it's shifting weird. It's easy to mess up todays transmissions mixing and matching engines. It may never shift right. It would be nicer to find an unmolested truck that shifts right. And if that needs a rebuild eventually, so be it, at least you know it's capable of shifting properly.

I haven't really had good luck with these Dodges.

The engines are reliable. Even when they break down they get you home. Usually it's somthing simple or lifting the battery cables and shorting to clear the ECM. But I've never been impressed by the perfomance or fuel economy of the 5.9 engine. It may have been a weak torque converter or something, but I've never really liked driving the gas Dodges. And the brakes, bearings, transmission,and joints seem to wear quicker than I'm used to.

I wouldn't worry about high mileage. Some of these engines go 400k miles, some only go 100k. But for the most part they're stout. And Dodges are cheaper to rebuild and repair.

My Grandfather has had better luck. His old Dodge with a 318, only 2wd, got him to every continental state, Alaska, and across Canada twice without any failures. He cap camped Expo style as well.

I think you'd be better off looking at 2000-2004 Ford 5.4L Superduties with 150k miles instead. Maybe even a 2005-2007.

Hokie

Observer
Yes, the transmission shifting issue makes me very nervous. I am hoping that someone can give me an idea on why it would shift like that. And I am really hoping that its an easy correction like an adjustment or something. But I doubt it is. I think the guy got a bad rebuild or something has broken.

Other than that, the truck is fantastic. Exterior and interior are in great shape so I figure it spent most of its 160,000 miles on the highway. The owner has been very open and honest about the history on the truck - even talking about repairs that most people wouldn't discuss regardless of good or bad intentions. The engine rebuild on the bottom half is a concern but it seems to run fine - no smoke or evidence of it around the tail pipes, oil pressure is good.

Hokie

Observer
Well, I have made a purchase, so I won't have to ask vehicle buying advice anymore. (I know, you are all upset over this)

Pics and details coming!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94